• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Why Ascendance of a Bookworm Refreshes the Isekai Genre

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait for season 2! Just hope they don't plan to stuff all 4 volumes of part 2 into a single cour... That would be brutally rushed. I'm following along with the J-Novel Club release and it is so good, can't wait till they start translating part 2 volume 3.

Also fun fact, for as many isekai series aired last fall season, there will be no proper isekai in the winter 2020 season! (Inb4 Dendro and Shield Heroine, etc etc).

@EngineeringNerd, regardless if your info is secondhand or not, I would like to ask you to refrain from posting spoilers, as there are a lot of light novel readers such as myself who really want to stay blind going in. The official translation is only in the middle of Part 2, so posting spoilers beyond that would be rather disrespectful.

Last edited by LegitPancake on Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hal14

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:33 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:

Also fun fact, for as many isekai series aired last fall season, there will be no proper isekai in the winter 2020 season! (Inb4 Dendro and Shield Heroine, etc etc).

Laughing This hasn't stopped some people from complaining that there are still too many isekai this season. One site i occasionally go to for reviews even claimed Darwin's game was an isekai. Of course, they also called Danmachi an isekai.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I for one strongly praying they are NOT adapting the ending (of the web novel), since spoiler[it did trigger some sort of controversies over who did main protagonist ends up with (it’s no Usagi drop, mind you),] I love this series a lot so the last thing I want are controversies.

Last edited by Engineering Nerd on Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:42 am; edited 1 time in total
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:22 pm Reply with quote
When I started reading the "review" it sounded like apoor man's mushoku tensei, then it got to the child concubines and main dying and it sounded like a decent clone of it instead. The conflict about recognizing her new family soudns just like it too So I will eventualyl give this a try, most likely soon since the winter season is pretty weak.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:24 pm Reply with quote
One of the features i love about this series is its sense of realism which is saying something for a series that is suppose to be a fantasy.

The Culture and Social structure draws a lot of parallels to how society was during the old era of nobility and monarchy rule of the midevil till later half of the 19th centuriy and before the invention of the printing press, living now in an era were communication and easy excess to information is a global luxury, some would walk into this surprise of how difficult it once was to even get your hands on a book let alone read and write.

I also love the character development of each person, as each one does not seem just your regular copy and paste of a charterer type but everyone is there own unqiue individual and myne especially really highlight this with her interactions with those around her.

It also helps the animation is of a very high quality, it sometime even feels like your watching a renascence era painting with the sheer amount of detail it has.

Now that we got an ova as well another season on the way, we got something to look even more foward too. I just hope it will keep to the same pace as if it adapts the next 4 volumes entirely it will not only rushed but: spoiler[ It will end on a rather sad and depressing tone and i get that this is no happy dandy series all the time, i rather not they leave it there ] especially since a s3 has not been garunteed, altough the author did tweet if the bds for both seasons sell well it will increase support. So i hope everyone does there part, crunchyroll subscription, buy the books, bds hell even just a keychain every little bit helps and i certainly would want more of it.

Here is to a good story and i encourage more to give it a try if u are still hesitating.
Samiamiam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
I for one strongly praying they are NOT adapting the ending (of the web novel), since it did trigger some sort of controversies over who did main protagonist ends up with (it’s no Usagi drop, mind you), I love this series a lot so the last thing I want are controversies.

Its very much a novel in shoujo tradition, right down to the male romantic lead to be honest. It reminds me a lot of Kemono no Souja Erin but isekai with books instead of animals. (A very good show that I reccomend to anyone!)
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I tried this show, but I couldn’t get into it. I dropped it after two episodes. It was kind of boring to me, but maybe I’ll give it another try at some point.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
I love this series a lot so the last thing I want are controversies.

Have you recently looked at the peanut gallery? They are out for blood! No doubt someone will read your comment and dig for said ending, waiting for the right moment to summon a shitstorm.

Quote:
Bookdad

Gunther

Quote:
Childhood was a lot more abbreviated.

More like non existent.

Quote:
And while the narrative thankfully doesn't chastise Frieda for her decision

That would have been victim shaming at its lowest.

Quote:
it nice to see Main go all Dark Phoenix on this dude.

What!? no mention of Carrie by Stephen King, what do kids read nowadays? Anime hyper
Dosmundos

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I've never really seen this as an isekai. Not enough swordfights, dragons and girls with animal ears, I guess.
I was more hoping for something along the lines of Dr. Stone, like Main going Guttenberg and showing us how books were invented (and what consequences it had for the development of mankind). Guess it won't go down that road, but I'm happy to follow her (and bookdad) anywhere!
Definitely one of the top shows of 2019...
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Indeed, this is a very special and unconventional isekai show. I hope more people seek it and watch it.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Actually people bringing modern techniques/knwoledge to isekai is a very common troupe. for mainly anime watchers it might not feel like that because those either have nto gotten an anime yet or the elements get ignored; like we got shield hero and he had modern cooking technique and the anime completely ignored that.

Death march (ugh) also hand waves it by having oneof the slave girls be a former noble whom got out-politics-ed by the nobles when she tried modern reforms.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:02 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
then it got to the child concubines

I don't know about the novel, but in the anime there are no "child" concubines. Even the panel they used in the article showed she said "after my coming of age ceremony." Coming of age means she's old enough to be deemed an adult, so that's all yet in her future. Not that the arrangement isn't still shitty, but all things considered, she could do worse, since she'll be able to have her own shop and pursue her primary interests, and be alive.

I think we're so conditioned in this culture to shield children from even knowing about the existence of sex, that people leap to the conclusion that since she's aware of concubines, she's going to be hauled off to the noble's sex dungeon tomorrow.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:34 pm Reply with quote
This seems like the only isekai series I might actually consider watching.
12Zwolf12

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Best anime of 2019. It may not be a perfect adaption, but it is close enough and source material is strong enough to keep it at a steady 9/10. The only thing I disagree with is the first 90 seconds, there was absolutely no reason to spoil a ton of progress for basically nothing.
(Also for me the best way to enjoy the story is the manga. I think the LN is a bit to descriptive and the manga profits a lot from the pictures that can just show the world, so you don't have to read through pages of descriptions but can just look at the picture. Similar to Lord of the Rings that had a similar extreme descriptive style and profited from the movies that could just show what pages of the books described. The manga also profits because it doesn't need to cut content to fit into the budget of an anime season, which makes it superior to the animated version of the story. For me the manga for this one is the way to go + the art is beautiful.)
Gina Szanboti wrote:
maximilianjenus wrote:
then it got to the child concubines

I don't know about the novel, but in the anime there are no "child" concubines. Even the panel they used in the article showed she said "after my coming of age ceremony." Coming of age means she's old enough to be deemed an adult, so that's all yet in her future. Not that the arrangement isn't still shitty, but all things considered, she could do worse, since she'll be able to have her own shop and pursue her primary interests, and be alive.

I think we're so conditioned in this culture to shield children from even knowing about the existence of sex, that people leap to the conclusion that since she's aware of concubines, she's going to be hauled off to the noble's sex dungeon tomorrow.

You realize that the coming of age ceremony is at the age of 7?
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:45 pm Reply with quote
"Reading is magical"

"Not that many books"

Somebody hasn't seen Read or Die lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3