• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 28th Power Rangers Season to Use Ryūsoulger Footage

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:40 am Reply with quote
I guess Hasbro said "screw trying to go back, We'll just play catch up later.". Which is a shame because I was curious to see how they would have handled Kyuuranger.
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:13 am Reply with quote
Lame. Space Sentai would have been better
3ngag3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:16 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised they didn't go for Zyuohger or LuPat to be honest.

Kyuuranger would have been too expensive.
ToQ's premise with the trains might have been a little too hard to work around.

I'm guessing they took what they felt was the safe route here.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:27 am Reply with quote
3ngag3 wrote:

The dino sentais always tend to have excellent toy sales, so it makes sense that Hasbro would prioritize that. I wouldn't be surprised if they go back and do one of the older ones later, but they may as well go with the safer bets early on.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:41 am Reply with quote
3ngag3 wrote:

I feel if Hasbro did use Zyuohger, they'll be accused of chasing the Minecraft crowd especially with how the giant robots look. It's a definite bummer they're not going for LuPat as that would have been a unique Power Rangers series with 2 Ranger teams with different morals and standards.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:35 am Reply with quote
It's not surprising to me that they went with Ryusoulger since as mentioned above dinosaur themed Power Rangers shows sell the most with American kids and kids love dinosaurs. I'm doubtful Hasbro will ever adapt Kyuranger because I think it's concept would be a bit too far out there for American audiences.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:40 am Reply with quote
So Gobusters did that badly they had to rush right back to Dinosaurs, eh? Laughing

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It's not surprising to me that they went with Ryusoulger since as mentioned above dinosaur themed Power Rangers shows sell the most with American kids and kids love dinosaurs. I'm doubtful Hasbro will ever adapt Kyuranger because I think it's concept would be a bit too far out there for American audiences.

I'd say they adapt Kyuranger before LuPat. LuPat is much more different and I doubt modern American audiences would care for a cops and robbers series.
#sukkar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:19 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
3ngag3 wrote:

The dino sentais always tend to have excellent toy sales, so it makes sense that Hasbro would prioritize that. I wouldn't be surprised if they go back and do one of the older ones later, but they may as well go with the safer bets early on.

Ryusoulger performed the worst of all the dino Sentai, in line with the low sales of recent years.
Lo Wang

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:36 am Reply with quote
Lupinranger featuring Patoranger is vastly overrated by Western fans. All Sentais after Ninninger have all flopped in Japan. At least Toei has Kamen Rider and Space Squad to fall back on if they have to put a hold on the franchise.

#sukkar wrote:

Ryusoulger performed the worst of all the dino Sentai, in line with the low sales of recent years.

Kiramager was greenlight which meant the it did well enough to get another season of Super Sentai. So it sold and rated better than the the other post 2015 Sentais. If it didn't Super Sentai would have been scrapped after Ryusoulger.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:07 am Reply with quote
Lo Wang wrote:
Lupinranger featuring Patoranger is vastly overrated by Western fans. All Sentais after Ninninger have all flopped in Japan. At least Toei has Kamen Rider and Space Squad to fall back on if they have to put a hold on the franchise.

Calling Super Sentai a flop yet citing Space Squad as a thing Toei could do...

Not earning as much as other series doesn't mean they flopped, especially when the series has done far worse in the past like Fiveman and Timeranger. Megaranger and Gekiranger weren't exactly big sellers either. You complain about westerners liking Lupat but it's also the westerners who keep trying to doomsay Super Sentai every year and saying it's going to end where there's literally zero evidence about that. Kiramager was planned before Ryusoulger even aired. Planning and production takes a very long time.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:06 am Reply with quote
Huh as I recall there’s something of formula with Sentai/Ranger adaptions.

Sentai that are less well-regarded tend to become some of Power Rangers best shows. Or was it that with gag shows being converted into more serious shows? Eh who knows, hopefully whatever show they make outta this is decent enough.

And Hasbro better make some damn good toys.
EternalNothingness

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:31 am Reply with quote
Really. Skip over trains, jungle animals, constellations, and cops and robbers just to get to yet another dinosaur-themed Power Rangers series? Because 90's kids like myself have way too much nostalgia for the original Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers and its dinosaur theme, and it's safer to just exploit that nostalgia than actually do something new with Power Rangers, like with these four aforementioned Super Sentai themes?

Last edited by EternalNothingness on Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:07 am Reply with quote
The odd thing about going with Ryusoulger now is that the 30th anniversary is around the corner (assuming they keep the two-season crap going) so with them getting the Dino Sentai, what's going to be used for the 2023 season?

El Hermano wrote:
You complain about westerners liking Lupat but it's also the westerners who keep trying to doomsay Super Sentai every year and saying it's going to end where there's literally zero evidence about that.

Did ratings ever change since the move to 9:30? I know toy sales are also a big factor but this was a huge concern with people because the move from TV Asahi forced Toei & Bandai to compete against themselves in viewership with Super Sentai & One Piece airing at the same time (and Kamen Rider Vs. Dragon Ball Super/Kitaro 2018/New Digimon Adventure).
Lo Wang

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:47 am Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:

Calling Super Sentai a flop yet citing Space Squad as a thing Toei could do...

Not earning as much as other series doesn't mean they flopped, especially when the series has done far worse in the past like Fiveman and Timeranger. Megaranger and Gekiranger weren't exactly big sellers either. You complain about westerners liking Lupat but it's also the westerners who keep trying to doomsay Super Sentai every year and saying it's going to end where there's literally zero evidence about that. Kiramager was planned before Ryusoulger even aired. Planning and production takes a very long time.

Because Lupin feat Pato was vastly overrated by just everyone who hasn't watched seasons older than Gokakaiger or the HD era(post Boukenger). The fanbois who praise it need to realize that it just wasn't that good compared to Dekaranger or Kamen Rider Drive.
Little evidence? Poor toy sales and low ratings are evidence of a show/franchise in danger of being canceled. If Bandai wants to pull funding Toei won't have a choice in the matter.

At least Space Squad is actually good plus the nostalgia factor for actual watchable seasons of Sentai. Also It's basically the only true revival of the Metal Heroes franchise that we're ever going to get.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:13 am Reply with quote
I haven't watch Power Rangers in years but I'm always curious to see how they adapt the Sentai series. I'm a bit dissapointed that they skipped Kyuranger since I wanted to see another space themed show like PR in Space.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3