• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hollywood Monster Hunter Film Reveals 2 Posters

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Hansond Jaysond Lee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:30 am Reply with quote
Eww...
Are they really going for the realistic, grim, depressing tone for this film?
I don't think they know that those are the exact opposite of what Monster Hunter is.

Also, I always have the lowest of lows expectation for anything involving Milla Jovovich.
She and bad movies are inseparable in life and death.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:18 am Reply with quote
Those are some pretty cool looking posters.
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:36 am Reply with quote
The Hansond Jaysond Lee wrote:
Eww...
I don't think they know that those are the exact opposite of what Monster Hunter is.

Also, I always have the lowest of lows expectation for anything involving Milla Jovovich.

Pretty much on point, don't really have anything to add.
I was already not interested in the movie after they announced it a year ago or so, especially because of Milla Jovovich. She did play in at least one good movie I know, "The Fifth Element", but I digress.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:44 am Reply with quote
Eww...

Well, I not sure it is grim, let alone REALISTIC - I mean, armor and weapons are pretty much a good replicas of MHW designs.

And the problem is we have not Milla (on new Hellboy she was good despite how trainwreck movie was compared to Del Toro ones), but her husband directing and scripting it - you know, we talking about the guy who ruined Resident Evil on cinema for all eternity. This is one big bold NOPE.
Heishi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:53 am Reply with quote
I actually really like the poster with Millia in it. She looks pretty cool in it and makes her kinda look like the female version of Zack Fair.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:08 am Reply with quote
I'm guessing there won't be any palicos in this one then, huh
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:24 am Reply with quote
Who knew that the children´s anime version of Monster Hunter Stories would be the best adaptation Capcom´s 2nd biggest IP (i think) will get for a good long while.
He rubbished stellar source material with AvP and his 6 RE films but to have an equal amount of disdain for the look and lore of a franchise that doesn´t even tell stories, that´s dedication! Anderson is even again the sole writer. That is truly rare in the Hollywood system... not that this is Hollywood. They even again filmed it in South Africa, to cut as much cost as they could, due to Constantin´s filming in German tax/cost evasion scheme having dried up.

At least we have Mortal Kombat.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GNPixie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:13 am Reply with quote
>Called Monster Hunter
>No monsters in sight

I don't know. I find it kind of funny given I don't think anyone actually cares about the plot in an MH game outside of, well, the monsters. They're the stars after all.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:23 am Reply with quote
GNPixie wrote:
>Called Monster Hunter
>No monsters in sight

I don't know. I find it kind of funny given I don't think anyone actually cares about the plot in an MH game outside of, well, the monsters. They're the stars after all.

Don't forget dressing up your female hunters in skimpy outfits.

Speaking of which hopefully Riders does well and we get an anime of that Razz
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:44 am Reply with quote
It’s still better than the first photos which looked like a remake of Three Kings with Milla instead of George Clooney.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Tripple-A wrote:
Eww...

Pretty much on point, don't really have anything to add.
I was already not interested in the movie after they announced it a year ago or so, especially because of Milla Jovovich. She did play in at least one good movie I know, "The Fifth Element", but I digress.

You can blame Monster Hunter: World for the "realistic" tone. The devs intentionally strayed away from the humor that defined previous games to give World a different feel. I really miss the humorous, punny tone of the old games cause that is a big reason why they are so charming. That "realism," in a game with giant monsters and weapons mind you, influenced many of the weapon designs which is one of the biggest criticisms veteran players have.

That said, I am really looking forward to this on a "so bad it will be good" level.

WANNFH wrote:
I mean, armor and weapons are pretty much a good replicas of MHW designs.

I'm sure there were production/choreography issues preventing this, but the weapons are not nearly large enough. Can hardly call the Greatsword "great." Probably gonna be wielding those weapons with the weight of a feather, which is distinctly NOT Monster Hunter.

residentgrigo wrote:
Who knew that the children´s anime version of Monster Hunter Stories would be the best adaptation Capcom´s 2nd biggest IP (i think) will get for a good long while.

Monster Hunter is actually Capcom's largest IP with the success of World.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:19 pm Reply with quote
RE still outsold MH. The gap may be closing this decade but it remains. By 40 to 30 million copies no less. Street Fight should be No. 3. RE will also cross 100 mil copies sold soon after the release of REmake 3. Why was RE burned with these hacks for 16 years? 16!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lin Liren

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Groan... The Adorable Sentient Cat Companions are nowhere to be seen... Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1