• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sword Art Online: Ordinal Scale Manga Ends With 5th Volume

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toprak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking about the reading SAO novel or manga, I guess I'll start manga by that new.
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Question. Why does this manga exist? If people wanted to see what happened in Ordinal Scale, why don't they just watch Ordinal Scale(and they should)? Especially in this day and age of DVD/Blu-rays and Instant legal streaming.
toprak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:12 pm Reply with quote
cyberdraco wrote:
Question. Why does this manga exist? If people wanted to see what happened in Ordinal Scale, why don't they just watch Ordinal Scale(and they should)? Especially in this day and age of DVD/Blu-rays and Instant legal streaming.

Proper question should be, why they adapted the novel into manga.
kae kurono

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Otakuch wrote:
cyberdraco wrote:

I used to wonder the same myself a little bit until i read somewhere that its for the same reason why manga and light novels get adapted into anime its called commercialization.
toprak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:21 pm Reply with quote
kae kurono wrote:
Otakuch wrote:
cyberdraco wrote:

I used to wonder the same myself a little bit until i read somewhere that its for the same reason why manga and light novels get adapted into anime its called commercialization.

Oh, okay thank you for acknowledge.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:07 am Reply with quote
cyberdraco wrote:
Same reason there are novelizations of Star Wars and Disney movies?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Same reason there are novelizations of Star Wars and Disney movies?

Making a novelization of a movie or TV series makes sense, because the medium of novels allows for elements that generally don't work within the confines of film: extended background descriptions, the inner monologues of characters, additional content which would probably be left on the editing room floor. And in return, adapting a novel or manga to anime also makes sense, because that medium is likewise providing new elements: color, fully animated motion, voice acting, and music. But making a straight manga adaptation (i.e. not a side-story or prequel) of an existing anime series never made any sense to me, because it feels like a straight-up downgrade no matter how you spin it. You're almost certainly not getting any additional dialog, and you're going from full animation to monochrome still frames. It's like consuming a movie by reading its storyboards.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1