• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: HBO Max Adds Death Note, Hunter x Hunter, Food Wars!, Tower of God Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PonSquared

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:45 am Reply with quote
If HBO Max would get on Roku (Sheesh!) and then they rolled all of Crunchy Roll into HBO Max I'd be pretty happy to pay the, what, $5 or $7 more a month to get my anime fix on HBOMax plus all of its other content.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see more content. Hopefully everything eventually just goes to HBO Max so you can get by with only one service if you want everything, but have the niche services available for those that don't care about everything.

PonSquared wrote:
If HBO Max would get on Roku (Sheesh!) and then they rolled all of Crunchy Roll into HBO Max I'd be pretty happy to pay the, what, $5 or $7 more a month to get my anime fix on HBOMax plus all of its other content.

It's surprising at this point that WB is still only putting part of it's content from CR & DC (and I presume other services I may not be familiar with) instead of everything on HBO Max.
I think they'd be more likely to get people to upgrade from one or two lower priced services to the higher priced HBO Max to get everything, rather than getting people to subscribe to two or more services to get everything, but maybe their numbers say otherwise.
matt78

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:40 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Covnam"It's surprising at this point that WB is still only putting part of it's content from CR & DC (and I presume other services I may not be familiar with) instead of everything on HBO Max.
I think they'd be more likely to get people to upgrade from one or two lower priced services to the higher priced HBO Max to get everything, rather than getting people to subscribe to two or more services to get everything, but maybe their numbers say otherwise.[/quote]

From what i have heard they have botched the launch of HBO Max pretty bad. Not only have they not put all of their DC content on HBO Max but they have started to pull some of it off already. Apparently they have decided that they are keeping the DC movies in a rotation so that they won't all be on there at the same time. This wouldn't be a problem if HBO Max didn't launch with less content then other platforms such Disney+.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:27 pm Reply with quote
First 99 of HxH puts them ahead of Netflix, at least. Don't know why no one can add the whole show dubbed...

Unfortunately, Crunchyroll gave HBO Max the censored masters for The Testament of Sister New Devil, so no use watching that one on there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:50 pm Reply with quote
HBO Max seems to be want to be like a random sample of their catalog to try and get their consumers to also subscribe to their smaller services like DC and Crunchyroll (because money) as opposed to Disney+ being the go to place for all/most of the Disney content. So I wouldn't really count on them folding Crunchyroll and DC Universe into HBO Max when they still have a niche enough audience for those other services to make more money off of them. In the case of Crunchyroll, I'm not sure I would want them to fold into HBO Max since that would likely mean the end of VRV.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:45 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
First 99 of HxH puts them ahead of Netflix, at least.

Which is a bit of a hollow victory, since Netflix used to have up to episode 99 before they lost the streaming rights for a while.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:22 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

It's surprising at this point that WB is still only putting part of it's content from CR & DC (and I presume other services I may not be familiar with) instead of everything on HBO Max.
I think they'd be more likely to get people to upgrade from one or two lower priced services to the higher priced HBO Max to get everything, rather than getting people to subscribe to two or more services to get everything, but maybe their numbers say otherwise.

Aren't they selling Crunchyroll to Sony (as of May)?

Source (Haven't read this fully since its a paywall site): https://www.theinformation.com/articles/at-t-had-talks-about-selling-crunchyroll
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:03 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Covnam wrote:

Source (Haven't read this fully since its a paywall site): https://www.theinformation.com/articles/at-t-had-talks-about-selling-crunchyroll

Hope Disney doesn't get CR.
matt78

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:59 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:

It was my understanding that they talked about it but that talks didn't get very far. There were others companies involved as well. I believe in the end AT&T decided to hold onto Crunchyroll. At least for now anyway.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:25 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Covnam wrote:

That would be a bit ironic since Funimation used to have this big partnership with Crunchyroll before they broke up and then to put Crunchyroll with Sony when Sony Pictures Television currently owns Funimation. It would be a bit awkward to come back.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:20 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Unfortunately, Crunchyroll gave HBO Max the censored masters for The Testament of Sister New Devil, so no use watching that one on there.

I didn't know CR even had the uncensored version, but I guess they do... only if you're watching the English dub, though. There's apparently no legal way to stream the Japanese version, as Funimation is only selling the discs, not streaming anything on their site.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:15 pm Reply with quote
MoonPhase1 wrote:
Ermat_46 wrote:
Covnam wrote:

That would be a bit ironic since Funimation used to have this big partnership with Crunchyroll before they broke up and then to put Crunchyroll with Sony when Sony Pictures Television currently owns Funimation. It would be a bit awkward to come back.

It would also be a bit intimidating. Not only does Sony own Funimation, but they also own Aniplex. If they were to buy Crunchyroll, all they would need to do is buy Sentai and they would have a near-monopoly of the American anime market.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:16 am Reply with quote
Sony having a near total monopoly on US anime distribution is a frightening endeavor, but AT&T is hacking to the bone. They probably will look to try dumping it again soon, particularly if some of their originals go over poorly.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Sony having a near total monopoly on US anime distribution is a frightening endeavor, but AT&T is hacking to the bone. They probably will look to try dumping it again soon, particularly if some of their originals go over poorly.

AT&T has been trying to sell assets to pay for its massive debts. That's why they're also trying to sell their big WB Game Studios, with EA, Activision, and Microsoft as possible buyers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1