• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha Comics Hosts Shaman King Panel at Comic-Con@Home

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:07 am Reply with quote
I'm calling it now that they'll probably announce a rescue license of the manga.
dark13

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:34 am Reply with quote
I heard rumors the new Shaman king anime is gonna be CG I wonder if that's what the sneak peak is.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:05 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I'm calling it now that they'll probably announce a rescue license of the manga.

I didn't realise it had gone out of print.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I didn't realise it had gone out of print
It’s been OOP since the trademark transferred from Shueisha to Kodansha.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:17 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

I certainly hope so
Ultimate N

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:16 am Reply with quote
ALL RIGHT YES HERE WE GO!!!!!! Physical rereleases of the Perfect Editions here we come! All they'll have left to do after that is rerelease the Rave Master manga physically, and then license and release those Zatch Bell Complete editions and we'll be all square!
perroloco

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:46 am Reply with quote
@Ultimate N: Sorry to burst your bubble but they won't release the perfect edition, they will release the new 2 in 1 edition that doesn't even include color pages.. :/ It was what got released here in Mexico and also in France because that's the new Format Kodansha made for the new SK release.

I'd have preferred the Shaman King Kang Zeng Bangs too, but Kodansha probably can't publish them and that's why they created a new format I guess.

Also I'd like for them to re-release Ultimo if they have every Takei title.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:53 am Reply with quote
perroloco wrote:
@Ultimate N: Sorry to burst your bubble but they won't release the perfect edition, they will release the new 2 in 1 edition that doesn't even include color pages.. :/ It was what got released here in Mexico and also in France because that's the new Format Kodansha made for the new SK release.

I'd have preferred the Shaman King Kang Zeng Bangs too, but Kodansha probably can't publish them and that's why they created a new format I guess.

^ This, mostly likely, if we're actually getting a print release and not a digital one. I know the Japanese KZB volumes are the only ones that had those lovely real-world-photo title pages because Takei took them all from like, photography websites or something. Couldn't use them outside the country.

I'm happy at the idea of being able to have the actual ending in English on my shelf, but more excited at the prospect of other series in the franchise being brought over here as well.
perroloco

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:00 am Reply with quote
@Gem Bug:
Where did you get that info that he couldn't use those photos outside Japan?

I ask because there was an Italian release of the Kanzenbans, don't know if it's the only country where they got released, probably some other Asian country got them too.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:26 am Reply with quote
It should be noted that this convention page has been edited. It originally said that Kodansha Comics planned to release the manga as a “ComiXology Original,” but it was later taken out. No mention of a print version, unfortunately. Proof: https://twitter.com/TheOASG/status/1281703103214039045
https://www.reddit.com/hoy4wz
nekedo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:37 am Reply with quote
Was about to post the same thing, Pancake, thank you.
So as of right now, it seems it will just be on Comixology. I hate giving Bezos more of my money, but that's just how it goes, I guess.

The Perfect Editions were under the Shueisha license, so we won't be getting those. The countries that have licensed the Kodansha print so far have mostly gotten the 2-in-1 editions I believe. However, they are definitely still worth buying due to the various redraws done throughout the series.

Andysislands, the man who has pretty much carried the Shaman King fandom since mid-2000ish in terms of news and overall information, put out an article on Patch Cafe comparing the various versions last month (original, KZB/Perfect, and Kodansha).: https://www.patch-cafe.net/?p=6049

Lastly, the photos included in first pages of the KZB editions (1 page with a quote from a character, then a two page spread with "SHAMAN KING VOL#" and a drawing of the character quoted edited into the photo) were licensed from a separate photo site. Andy was able to find the site a long time ago. Because they probably had a license akin to stock photo websites, they weren't able to use them in countries outside of Japan AFAIK.
Akamaru_Inu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:09 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
It should be noted that this convention page has been edited. It originally said that Kodansha Comics planned to release the manga as a “ComiXology Original,” but it was later taken out. No mention of a print version, unfortunately. Proof: https://twitter.com/TheOASG/status/1281703103214039045
https://www.reddit.com/hoy4wz

So if a comic is a ComiXology original does it mean it never ever gets a print release, or have any/some of them gotten them as well? I was really hoping to the new anime meaning the possibility of getting the volumes released again over here but (of course, we won't actually know anything til the 23rd I suppose) this makes me very nervous and seems like a monkey's paw situation. I only buy physical volumes of manga and this would be very, very disappointing.
kpossibles

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Akamaru_Inu wrote:
So if a comic is a ComiXology original does it mean it never ever gets a print release, or have any/some of them gotten them as well? I was really hoping to the new anime meaning the possibility of getting the volumes released again over here but (of course, we won't actually know anything til the 23rd I suppose) this makes me very nervous and seems like a monkey's paw situation. I only buy physical volumes of manga and this would be very, very disappointing.
I believe that the reason they decided to go with a Comixology release is to get all the manga out in bulk and maybe Comixology is the one that funds the localization costs (paying the editors, translator, letterer, etc).

Note that Beck and other Comixology Originals eventually became available on Bookwalker after like a year or 2 of being Comixology, so it might come down to whatever their contract is. I assume closer to the 2021 anime is when they'll announce a print version.
Ultimate N

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:01 am Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
I heard rumors the new Shaman king anime is gonna be CG I wonder if that's what the sneak peak is.

This is likely going to just be about the manga as Kodansha Comics are a North American manga licensing company. We're likely only gonna be hearing about what they plan to do with international releases since the original manga releases from VIZ have been out of print for years due to Kodansha gaining to Shaman King rights from Shueisha in Japan. Also if you're curious the CG rumor started because shortly before the SK remake was announced anime studio Orange who are famous for their CG anime like Land of the Lustrous and Beastars said they were doing a CG remake of a familiar title.
Ultimate N

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:06 am Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
perroloco wrote:

^ This, mostly likely, if we're actually getting a print release and not a digital one. I know the Japanese KZB volumes are the only ones that had those lovely real-world-photo title pages because Takei took them all from like, photography websites or something. Couldn't use them outside the country.

I'm happy at the idea of being able to have the actual ending in English on my shelf, but more excited at the prospect of other series in the franchise being brought over here as well.

Honestly if this is true that's unfortunate but all I REALLY hope is that the physical rereleases (if they happen) will include the updated ending. I know the original VIZ releases were 32 volumes long with a rushed ending that failed to bring the series to a proper conclusion, and I heard the Perfect Editions were 35 volumes long which tells me there's 3 more volumes worth of manga content that'll likely bring the series proper to a better conclusion (and I know the remake is going to adapt that part which is great) if the manga is getting rereleased all I hope is that those extra three volumes are properly translated so someone like me whose never read the manga will be able to read the true complete story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1