×
  • remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan The Final Season's 14th Episode Delayed Due to Wakayama Quake Coverage




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
RealMTL



Joined: 09 Jun 2018
Posts: 174
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:20 pm Reply with quote
NOOOOOOOO!!!!

But I really hope everyone is safe though. And this really sucks... it hasn't even been that long since the last earthquake happened.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Hansond Jaysond Lee



Joined: 16 Dec 2015
Posts: 30
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Jesus, Japan just can't take a break huh. It's great that there were no serious casualties but it still kinda sucks living in a place knowing that something like this could just happen out of nowhere with no prior warning.

As for AoT, I hope they won't delay the episode for too long. And hopefully the last 2 episodes won't get delayed as well. Things are starting to pop off and prolonged delay(s) could hurt its momentum.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wolf10



Joined: 23 Jan 2016
Posts: 801
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Earthquake coverage is important, as a rule, but a 4.7 hardly seems newsworthy, unless the intent was to specifically announce how unworthy of news it was. When I lived in an earthquake-prone area, it always seemed like I missed quakes I had actually experienced until a day or two later as a casual conversation point.

"Did you feel that earthquake yesterday!?"

"Nah."

On the Richter scale, a 4.X is "just enough to be casually noticed by people in the area," rarely even capable of even minor building damage. Above 6 is when you generally start to worry. The 2011 quake was a 9.1, and the tenth anniversary commemorative rerun quake last month was around a 7, which is actually around 1% of a 9 (the scale is logarithmic).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LegitPancake



Joined: 26 Jun 2017
Posts: 1153
Location: Texas, USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Apparently NHK had aired a majority of the episode before it was interrupted by the news broadcast, so this has nothing to do with respecting any victims of the earthquake, which was probably barely noticeable to most of Japan so there are none. This is just NHK wanting to preserve their TV ratings by preventing international licensors from releasing the full episode before they can re-air it in Japan.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nordhmmer



Joined: 11 Feb 2017
Posts: 984
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:30 pm Reply with quote
The Hansond Jaysond Lee wrote:

As for AoT, I hope they won't delay the episode for too long. And hopefully the last 2 episodes won't get delayed as well. Things are starting to pop off and prolonged delay(s) could hurt its momentum.



90% of the episode was aired- the tie-in to episode 15 and the end credits was what was interrupted .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AutoOps007



Joined: 03 Jan 2014
Posts: 245
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:26 am Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
Earthquake coverage is important, as a rule, but a 4.7 hardly seems newsworthy, unless the intent was to specifically announce how unworthy of news it was. When I lived in an earthquake-prone area, it always seemed like I missed quakes I had actually experienced until a day or two later as a casual conversation point.

"Did you feel that earthquake yesterday!?"

"Nah."

On the Richter scale, a 4.X is "just enough to be casually noticed by people in the area," rarely even capable of even minor building damage. Above 6 is when you generally start to worry. The 2011 quake was a 9.1, and the tenth anniversary commemorative rerun quake last month was around a 7, which is actually around 1% of a 9 (the scale is logarithmic).


You do realize new coverage is meant to inform people, don't you? It's likely a lot of people watching didn't know the magnitude and would've either liked to know or the info would've been useful to them, given earthquakes are often followed by aftershocks. Doesn't matter how big; some people would surely like to know in if they can expect aftershocks or know if the people who experienced the mainshock are ok. Some people may just wanna know where exactly it happened or if there was any damage. And I'm sure people were happy to know there was no threat of tsunami either. Even if it is small magnitude and there was no damage or deaths or anything, it's still good to inform people, so people don't worry and prevent pandemonium. And not everyone knows what you said. Letting people know it's safe and everything is ok is a good thing, and much more important than any anime episode.

TV networks are apart of the anime production committee when an anime airs on their network, and I'm sure wouldn't delay episodes if it wasn't important, given it disrupts their schedule. Especially for seasonal anime like attack on titan, cause it affects shows in the following season, or one episode doesn't air or may even be cut. And as a major TV network, you wouldn't wanna be seen as ignorant by just ignoring and pretending it didn't happen. With their reach in their country, they have an obligation to inform people.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HueyLion



Joined: 14 Feb 2014
Posts: 824
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:14 am Reply with quote
The episode may have been delayed...but seems the whole of twitter has seen it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor


Joined: 16 Oct 2009
Posts: 531
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:42 am Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
Earthquake coverage is important, as a rule, but a 4.7 hardly seems newsworthy, unless the intent was to specifically announce how unworthy of news it was. When I lived in an earthquake-prone area, it always seemed like I missed quakes I had actually experienced until a day or two later as a casual conversation point.


Yes the earthquake was "only 4.7," but it was a "Weak 5" on Japan's shaking scale (Also called Shindo Scale, https://earthquake.tenki.jp/bousai/earthquake/detail/2021/03/15/2021-03-15-00-26-03.html). This is actually decently strong. Japan's shaking scale only goes to 7, so Weak 5 is fairly strong and can cause lots of damage. In Japan the Japanese shaking scale is more important than Richter scale.

(Sincerely, someone who experienced the "Strong 5" shaking in Osaka in June 2018.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wolf10



Joined: 23 Jan 2016
Posts: 801
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:13 am Reply with quote
You may not have intended it, but your link answered my implied question. It was a surface-level quake directly under Wakayama (as opposed to a more common offshore quake), and had minor aftershocks that continued for several hours. That would certainly be enough to merit a full broadcast interruption, as opposed to a simple pop-up alert marquee.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nordhmmer



Joined: 11 Feb 2017
Posts: 984
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:40 am Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
You may not have intended it, but your link answered my implied question. It was a surface-level quake directly under Wakayama (as opposed to a more common offshore quake), and had minor aftershocks that continued for several hours. That would certainly be enough to merit a full broadcast interruption, as opposed to a simple pop-up alert marquee.


Again,they chose to air some 15 mins plus of the episode-purposely ending the broadcast at the certain point as to not truly upset their audience. Then,while the opening theme to the first season played, a news blurb was shown about the earthquake.

There wasn't a "full broadcast interruption"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wolf10



Joined: 23 Jan 2016
Posts: 801
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:09 am Reply with quote
Depending on the scale of the event, some broadcasters will simply let the show continue but overlay an alert, occasionally with sound (this is also sometimes preserved in older fansubs). In this case they cut the program short. A partial broadcast still happened (and nobody was saying it didn't), but the full broadcast was interrupted. Not sure how else to put it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TarsTarkas



Joined: 20 Dec 2007
Posts: 5484
Location: Virginia, United States
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:20 am Reply with quote
Let's be real here, sports games over here interrupt and delay TV shows all the time. On top of that, if you are watching Attack on Titan on Cartoon Network, a pivotal scene could be completed missed because of the weekly Emergency Broadcast Test.

So we really have no right to criticize Japan over having "breaking news" earthquake coverage in the Land of Earthquakes. While in the United States all news is "breaking news".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
maximilianjenus



Joined: 29 Apr 2013
Posts: 2637
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:32 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Let's be real here, sports games over here interrupt and delay TV shows all the time. On top of that, if you are watching Attack on Titan on Cartoon Network, a pivotal scene could be completed missed because of the weekly Emergency Broadcast Test.

So we really have no right to criticize Japan over having "breaking news" earthquake coverage in the Land of Earthquakes. While in the United States all news is "breaking news".

you just reminded me of the time before streaming.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar


Joined: 14 Aug 2006
Posts: 16781
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:00 pm Reply with quote
If you're seriously complaining an anime episode got delayed due to coverage about serious geological issues that often effect a nation and its people then your priorities are a bit f'ed up. I mean god forbid our entertainment be delayed or interrupted to make sure people have information on something like that. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
wolf10



Joined: 23 Jan 2016
Posts: 801
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I don't recall ever saying I was upset (or anyone else here for that matter). Don't even watch AoT. Just honestly curious about what was significant about this particular quake, which was very indirectly answered above.

My tone always comes off wrong in posts, though. Even when I'm trying to sound reassuring.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group