• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Kadokawa Comments on Illegal Motorcycle Riding Depiction in Super Cub Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 3:18 pm Reply with quote
It is sad that they felt the need to explain this.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 3:32 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
It is sad that they felt the need to explain this.

We live in the world where people treat those in anime as if they're real. :/

What they need to realize is that all things depicted in the anime are just entirely fictional: lolis, hentai, fetishes, so on...

Yes, it's pretty sad that they cannot grasp on to their sanity, mentally.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Probably someone in a PTA group complained due to Super Cub being too realistic, they need to relax, seriously.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Probably someone in a PTA group complained due to Super Cub being too realistic, they need to relax, seriously.

Indeed. Which reminds me...does Japan have its own equivalent of a Karen? Or their own term for obnoxious soccer moms who complain about everything? I know the term Karen doesn't have usage in Japan, but considering the behavior of the PTO in Japan and how they overreact to every little thing, it seems to me that they're behaving a lot like Karens.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Booooooo!! make it cannon that they're breaking the law and slowly have them form their biker gang in an increasingly lawless world.

Then have a sequel where they become giant mouse, strap gun tho their cub and go to mars to fight giant robot.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 4:04 pm Reply with quote
[quote="FireChick"]
Hoppy800 wrote:
Indeed. Which reminds me...does Japan have its own equivalent of a Karen? Or their own term for obnoxious soccer moms who complain about everything?

It doesn't refer specifically to women, but there is such thing as a "claimer" (クレーマー), which is basically someone who makes unreasonable complaints to companies. For example, someone who is like, "OMG THERE IS A 0.1 MM DENT ON THE BOX OF MY ITEM! GIVE ME A FULL REFUND AND LET ME KEEP THE ITEM" would qualify as a "claimer."
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Incidentally, cubs are only designed for single occupant only. Two people also exceeds maxim carry weight of bike. Two people riding a bike within year of getting license is also pretty realistic. I understand that is not good depicting this in anime though. Especially since show is endorced by Honda.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:

I dunno about that...
Quote:
This apparent discrepancy drew attention online because of the anime's attention to detail and accuracy, and because the motorcycle manufacturer Honda provided design supervision for the series.

It seems more like a case of classic nerd pedantry, the same stuff where otaku point out incorrect tank treads or gun barrel sizes or whatever.

It's interesting (as the article notes) that this detail was apparently covered in the novels but skipped for the anime for pacing - understandable, I think, and so I'm not surprised Kadokawa's response is basically a very nice way of saying "it's a cartoon, get a grip".
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 7:06 pm Reply with quote
This explains the most obvious difference between the Japanese version and the US version (a Honda 50) I had back in the mid 1960s. My bike had a long seat suitable for two people. It extended back over where the back rack is on the Japanese version. Regardless of what it was "designed for" it had no difficulty handling two people, even on hills.
Kalisia

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Safety First!

Watch for Motorcycles!

<3

[rin_shima_concerned.png]
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 8:42 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting to see how, despite the reputation anime has in the west for getting away with so much, there are so many things you could see on American TV that doesn't fly in anime. Like when they changed Jotaro's beer to soda in Stardust Crusaders because he was 16. American shows (well, not kids shows) would have no problem showing a person drinking underage, especially when it's to show the character is a delinquent.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Fictional teenagers not following the law to the letter? Oh nooooo! What's next, them drinking 5% coolers on a Saturday night? Illegally downloading a movie that came out 10 years ago? The potential scandals are endless!
configspace

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 10:18 pm Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
Incidentally, cubs are only designed for single occupant only. Two people also exceeds maxim carry weight of bike. Two people riding a bike within year of getting license is also pretty realistic. I understand that is not good depicting this in anime though. Especially since show is endorced by Honda.

but also realistically outside of Japan, SuperCubs are very commonly used for literally carrying entire families. And Honda very well knows this, especially with factories in S. East Asia.
Folcwine P. Pywackett

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 11:59 pm Reply with quote
These same people are doing the same thing to "Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid" Season 2, and its not even out until July 2021. Seems like there is a right way and a wrong way to draw breasts on Dragons, not that I have ever seen a Dragon with breasts (IE Dragons not being Mammals do not have Mammary Glands to begin with, and on and on it goes. Silly!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 2:06 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
This explains the most obvious difference between the Japanese version and the US version (a Honda 50) I had back in the mid 1960s. My bike had a long seat suitable for two people.

Their US marketing ("You meet the nicest people on a Honda") frequently showed two people riding (though the woman was always the passenger if she wasn't riding alone).

I don't really get why people are taking such great offense at their apology. There's nothing wrong with them pointing out that it's illegal, no one has been injured or ruined by the depiction or the apology, and apologizing is practically a reflex in Japan. This is not a big deal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2