• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kickstarter Suspends Anime Tube Crowdfunding Campaign

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aresef

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:25 am Reply with quote
He’s a grifter, a clown and a liar. This isn’t even his first attempt at making Anime Tube happen. A previous version on the Windows and Xbox stores was a pass-through for piracy. His previous KS was shut down for violating Kickstarter’s reward policy (then busted by a copyright notice from Viz).

He has no knowledge of how the anime industry works and tried to fool fans who don’t know any better into thinking he does.
RemGalleuSimp

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:25 am Reply with quote
They didn't just disable there Twitter.

They shutdown there VIP Discord because backers where posting some of there owners insane claims that people where mocking.
They have removed comments on the YouTube video because people where pointing out that the artwork backgrounds there little anime mascot was in where stolen from pixiv and marked for Personal Use Only.
They have also removed 50+ comments from there Facebook page, because users where asking questions and sharing the older Kickstarter which was claimed by Viz Media.
There owner George even deleted there LinkedIn.

Also there really trying to get out of being a pirate app originally on XBOX and Windows on a technicality "Of We didn't Host Any Of It" while trying to white knight and claim they will solve piracy with there Business Model (Which is just Crunchyroll's already).

This Kickstarter did well for one reason they used the hate directed at Crunchyroll and Funimation and fed on that plain and simple.
Aresef

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:33 am Reply with quote
jamiex304 wrote:

They shutdown there VIP Discord because backers where posting some of there owners insane claims that people where mocking.
They have removed comments on the YouTube video because people where pointing out that the artwork backgrounds there little anime mascot was in where stolen from pixiv and marked for Personal Use Only.
They have also removed 50+ comments from there Facebook page, because users where asking questions and sharing the older Kickstarter which was claimed by Viz Media.

Also there really trying to get out of being a pirate app originally on XBOX and Windows on a technicality "Of We didn't Host Any Of It" while trying to white knight and claim they will solve piracy with there Business Model (Which is just Crunchyroll's already).

This Kickstarter did well for one reason they used the hate directed at Crunchyroll and Funimation and fed on that plain and simple.

He deleted his LinkedIn! How will Shawne Kleckner respond to his message now?
RemGalleuSimp

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:39 am Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
jamiex304 wrote:

He deleted his LinkedIn! How will Shawne Kleckner respond to his message now?

Exactly how will he conduct licensing discussions now ??! Because as we learnt that's how you get anime licenses cold message CEO's on LinkedIn. I'm currently in talks for AOT Season 4 Part 2 btw because I send a private DM on LinkedIn Smile
DarkEXE

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:05 am Reply with quote
Good riddance.
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:28 am Reply with quote
And nothing of value was lost.
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:41 am Reply with quote
jamiex304 wrote:
Exactly how will he conduct licensing discussions now ??! Because as we learnt that's how you get anime licenses cold message CEO's on LinkedIn. I'm currently in talks for AOT Season 4 Part 2 btw because I send a private DM on LinkedIn Smile

"Joke's on you. I am in advanced talks for AoT Season 4 Part 2 because I sent two DMs."
--George Weller, probably
Fluwm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:03 am Reply with quote
This is me kind of blatant profiteering that's killing the fansub bing scene.
Meowtain Duwu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:37 am Reply with quote
I’m glad that these scammers haven’t made off with the money in the end.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:43 am Reply with quote
I've been reading the guy's responses to some of the comments people made on that Facebook post, and it looks like he's in denial, doubling down on making this scam happen, and pretty delusional in thinking that the suspension was unfair and vague from KS' part.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
He’s a grifter, a clown and a liar. This isn’t even his first attempt at making Anime Tube happen. A previous version on the Windows and Xbox stores was a pass-through for piracy. His previous KS was shut down for violating Kickstarter’s reward policy (then busted by a copyright notice from Viz).

He has no knowledge of how the anime industry works and tried to fool fans who don’t know any better into thinking he does.

I wondered why it seemed familiar.

jamiex304 wrote:

That part didn't make much sense. Anime Tube would oppose a possible monopoly by hosting content that already appears on these services? And it's pretty well-known how production committees react to announcing a license before it is official, so in the far-fetched chance he was in talks for anything like that, he tanked it.

And yeah, unless I am missing something, advertising video-on-demand is just the free-wth-ads thing that both CR and Funi do already. Not sure how this would combat piracy in a way that is any different.
Meowtain Duwu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:30 pm Reply with quote
What really pisses me off right now about this situation is that a lot of these backers got suckered into believing that the Kickstarter suspension was “reversible” when it really isn’t. I didn’t know that Kickstarter campaign suspensions were irreversible until reading this article, so this is an especially blatant lie from George and his fellow scammers. So the especially gullible backers are just gonna keep believing and believing that the Anime Tube Kickstarter is going to be unsuspended in the near future or whatnot (some might even think there’s still a possibility for a third Kickstarter campaign to be made) while the staff behind this scam keep quietly deleting accounts and comments in the background. At least these scammers didn’t make off with the money in the end like I brought up earlier in this thread; that would’ve made this situation much worse.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Meowtain Duwu wrote:
What really pisses me off right now about this situation is that a lot of these backers got suckered into believing that the Kickstarter suspension was “reversible” when it really isn’t. I didn’t know that Kickstarter campaign suspensions were irreversible until reading this article, so this is an especially blatant lie from George and his fellow scammers. So the especially gullible backers are just gonna keep believing and believing that the Anime Tube Kickstarter is going to be unsuspended in the near future or whatnot (some might even think there’s still a possibility for a third Kickstarter campaign to be made) while the staff behind this scam keep quietly deleting accounts and comments in the background. At least these scammers didn’t make off with the money in the end like I brought up earlier in this thread; that would’ve made this situation much worse.

Also worth noting is that they’re promising further updates from their “newsletter.” Which requires payment, and is through their own personal payment processor. Aka another scam to get credit card numbers with an unprotected system. As for the delusion part it doesn’t really matter. One of the first rules of scamming is to never admit a mistake, because that labels you a scammer. It’s better to be seen as delusional because other delusional people are still a mark, or you can rebrand later as having fixed something so that this time you really know what your doing, etc. The doors of grifting always remain open as long as you can brand the past as misguided failure instead of admitting it was an obvious scam.

Last edited by ATastySub on Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:48 pm Reply with quote
AS WELL THEY SHOULD. Thank God.

Run and hide, you cowards. You're doing bad things and you know it. Twisted Evil
RemGalleuSimp

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:57 pm Reply with quote
From the CEO George Weller Himself:

https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/d55edb33-c35b-4baa-86b9-2a1d3ea701c5/downloads/Game%20Face%2C%20LLC%20Press%20Release.pdf?ver=1626192466062

Posted on socials with comments disable. All he is short of doing is screaming Fake News,
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3