• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Multi-Billion Dollar A.I. project pays Tribute to Tezuka

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BERSERK EVA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Ah thats so cool. Technology is moving right along isnt it? I hope they get the money from the government. I sounds like a really cool idea. And would be cool to see how it comes out. In a way it is a bit scary to think they are able to do such things, or close to it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:10 am Reply with quote
But there's no money in it. They need to build some Cho Bits instead.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:10 am Reply with quote
at the moment, though the idea is rather nice, we should really spend our money trying to fix our own problems before we give birth to a new race to hate :/
Seijuro Hiko

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:41 am Reply with quote
we could build angelic layers!! and have competeitions like the anime did. It'll make lots of money for further research and it'll be fun!!! maybe I'm too optimistic
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:48 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
at the moment, though the idea is rather nice, we should really spend our money trying to fix our own problems before we give birth to a new race to hate :/

Yeah, can't you see the headlines, 5-yr old equivalent robot attempts to destroy world. $425 million dollars a year would help end a lot of suffering in the world.
BERSERK EVA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:15 am Reply with quote
Indeed it would. And yes that is alot of money. But the idea is pretty cool.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:20 am Reply with quote
anyone else finding it a little ominous that they're making them as a a tribute to Tezuka, the same guy who wrote Metropolis?

wonder if they'll build a Zigorath next.

Last edited by v1cious on Tue Aug 26, 2003 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shorty22

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:48 am Reply with quote
It reminds me of that movie where a couple adopts that 'robot' child to replace theirs, but then decides to dump him somewhere later... what was it called? AI? Heh.

Anyway, I agree with Gatsu. Build persocoms/chobits instead. Anime smile
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Shorty22 wrote:
It reminds me of that movie where a couple adopts that 'robot' child to replace theirs, but then decides to dump him somewhere later... what was it called? AI?

yeah, it was AI
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I don't want an Astroboy, I want an Alpha Hatsuseno! Or a Kokone! Not a Maruko Maruko, though, because Maruko Maruko only seems to like other female androids. Evil or Very Mad

Or maybe a Naomi Armitage, since, even though she's a "Third"-type android, you can still "knock her up" somehow. I speculate her outer envelope is made of cloned human tissue, and that tissue includes a functioning uterus, ovaries and fallopian tubes. (Actually, I've never seen the second Armitage III movie, so maybe they explain...)

(For those of you in Rio Linda, "knock her up" is a euphemism for procreation and has nothing to do with any sort of domestic violence.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:29 pm Reply with quote
In 30 years it'll only be on the level of a 5 year old? That's not very good, there's already robots made that are coming really close to that now.

I should hope 30 years from now it'll be almost adult. If in 30 years a computer can go from room size to finger nail size, I would think robots would evolve to a simmilar extent.

Especially after the aliens come to earth... Anime smile + sweatdrop

Emerje (not quite human)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, but they aren't emotionally on the level of a 5-year old. That will probably be the biggest issue.

And physically it'll probably be a lot more like Bender than the kid from AI.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Yes, on the 5 year old level they aren't there yet, but emotionally they they are coming close. There was a show on modern robots not long ago on Discovery or TLC (forget which) that was showing all of the robots in the US and Japan and what they're capable of. They had robots that could walk, talk, learn, show emotion, react to different signals, see, and even play games. It almost seems like if they were to bring all of those elements together in one robot they could have a launch pad that would cut their research down to 15years and have it absolutly perfected ni 30. I do think in 30 years it will be a very believable looking human robot. Just look at what they've done with animatronics, and how life like they can be, just use those life like mechanics on a robot with very human emotion and you've got something very believeable. It's just a matter of combining resources in the right way.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I had no idea they were already so far. Bringing it all together will be the most difficult part but they've allowed enough time and they certainly have the financial resources. Still it's a wonder how it will work, able to control itself and make decisions.
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:46 pm Reply with quote
hmmm... what would you rather have? a human sized android that could think liek a human? or a giant sized robot that you could pilot?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3