• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Happy Science Organization's The Laws of the Universe Anime's Promo Video Reveals October 8 Pr

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:34 am Reply with quote
Didn't know they were still around...still producing anime!
FMAvatard

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:02 am Reply with quote
Why is nationalist propaganda from a cult getting promoted like it’s something out of GKIDS…
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:06 am Reply with quote
FMAvatard wrote:
Why is nationalist propaganda from a cult getting promoted like it’s something out of GKIDS…

Just like something out of GKIDS... Very Happy

Quote:
Happy Science has come under scrutiny for its practices and coercive recruitment tactics in the past. Through its political party, the Happiness Realization Party, the group has advocated for nuclear deterrence, and has called for the amendment and removal of the pacifist Article 9 of Japan's constitution. The group has also repeated common Japanese right-wing rhetoric, such as the denial of the Nanking Massacre, the Imperial Japanese Army practice of taking comfort women, and the assertion of the Japanese state's de jure ownership of the Senkaku Islands. Recently, the group has offered spiritual "vaccines," which it claims can cure the new coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
Abraham Omosun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know how the films are? I've been curious about it for sometime
stefand

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
... the group has advocated for nuclear deterrence, and has called for the amendment and removal of the pacifist Article 9 of Japan's constitution.

I liked cults better, when they were about hippies getting stoned in India.
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:43 pm Reply with quote
stefand wrote:
Quote:
... the group has advocated for nuclear deterrence, and has called for the amendment and removal of the pacifist Article 9 of Japan's constitution.

I liked cults better, when they were about hippies getting stoned in India.

Well, it looks like better than Scientology, at least...maybe!
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Abraham Omosun wrote:

I got personally (and unknowingly) invited to watch one of the films with a friend by Ohkawa when he was scouting with members in a mall during an event they were holding for it (I don't remember the title, but this was during fall 2012 in Hikone). We got free tickets and decided to check it out. I, uh... well, the film was... entertaining. Poseidon, Jesus, the Buddha, and a bunch of other dieties/messiahs all come down in the united prayers of earth's people to eradicate a group of nazi aliens that conquered modern-day Japan. The film felt like propaganda, even before I realized who these people were. Ohkawa signed a book for me afterward and took my friend and I out to lunch, where we were... suddenly asked if we believed in aliens. It was such a weird experience. But anyway, nah. The movie I saw was not worth watching again and you can tell it was made with the purpose of either 1) recruiting new people with a "hope in the world if you wish for it" mentality, or 2) convincing its current members already convinced by the message to buy countless tickets to try and recruit new people. It's super exploitative.
chao8971

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Abraham Omosun wrote:

From my experience they are no good, but can be fun if you're drunk and just messing around. Hermes Winds of Love is like no good, but if your drunk some of the images are fun to look at I guess.

You can find some DVDs of that one cheap, I actually was given mine for free, but I'd really just say spend your time watching better stuff. Not good enough to watch sober, and there's a lot more fun anime to watch drunk than this one.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Just so long as you don't join the cult or subscribe to their beliefs, there's no harm in watching these movies. Promote it as entertainment, not as a religious text.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Abraham Omosun wrote:

The Laws of Eternity was fun in a "It's so hilariously bad/ridiculous" kinda way.
Hoofbites

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to God Awful Movies skewering this one too.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Did...did Sayaka Ohara's character transform into a panda?
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:25 am Reply with quote
I already feel so much wiser.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I know the VAs and animation staff are mostly in this for $$$, but wouldn't they worry about being associated with weird cult like the HS?
About the trailer itself... uh, there's no way I can take it seriously.
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:58 am Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
I know the VAs and animation staff are mostly in this for $$$, but wouldn't they worry about being associated with weird cult like the HS?
About the trailer itself... uh, there's no way I can take it seriously.

Well, this is an interesting question...I was thinking about this too, maybe they don't think it's a big deal and something that could hurt their career. After all it's only another job for most of them, as long as it's well (or at least decently) paid...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2