• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Video Game Rankings, November 8-14

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Well, it seems that SMT V did fine, just for comparisson SMT IV sold 188,652 back in 2013, SMT IV: Apocalyspe sold 96,349 in 2016, Persona 5 sold 337,587 between the PS3 and PS4 versions and P5 Royal sold 201,448. I knew that SMT V would never beat Persona in sales but it's seems like a good opening for a 3rd party game on a Nintendo system, I wasn't expecting a MH: Rise like opening. Still, I don't know why Atlus limits SMT on Nintendo while Persona is in PlayStation (specially with the recent SMT III port that came for both consoles and P4 on PC), I saw some news about dataminers founding mentions of PC and PS4 on SMT V's files so perhaps a port will come to those platforms next year.
On the other hand Megaton Musashi's numbers are abysmal, I don't know what is happening with Level-5, the days of Inazuma Eleven and Yo-Kai Watch seem so distant now.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:53 pm Reply with quote
While it's true there was PS4 and PC in the code that's pretty common for Unreal games. I can see it coming to PC for sure but maybe not PS4 unless they port P5/R to Switch too. Personally I'm waiting for a good FAQS to come out before I buy it on Switch. Would double dip if it came out for PC but not PS4.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:18 pm Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
While it's true there was PS4 and PC in the code that's pretty common for Unreal games. I can see it coming to PC for sure but maybe not PS4 unless they port P5/R to Switch too.

I don't think P5 on Switch is possible at this point, Joker's inclusion in Smash and P5 Strikers aside, it seems that Atlus has some kind of exclusivity deal with Sony, either that or the Persona team favors PlayStation hardware while the Shin Megami Tensei team favors Nintendo. It would be better for everyone if their games were available on every platform, including Xbox and PC.
I wonder how the development of Persona 6 is going. Is Atlus developing the game with the PS4 or PS5 in mind? And considering the decline in sales of PlayStation hardware and software in Japan, are they counting on Western players to make up the majority of the sales? Persona is popular, but I don't think is a series that moves hardware like Pokémon, Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
While it's true there was PS4 and PC in the code that's pretty common for Unreal games. I can see it coming to PC for sure but maybe not PS4 unless they port P5/R to Switch too.

I don't think P5 on Switch is possible at this point, Joker's inclusion in Smash and P5 Strikers aside, it seems that Atlus has some kind of exclusivity deal with Sony, either that or the Persona team favors PlayStation hardware while the Shin Megami Tensei team favors Nintendo. It would be better for everyone if their games were available on every platform, including Xbox and PC.
I wonder how the development of Persona 6 is going. Is Atlus developing the game with the PS4 or PS5 in mind? And considering the decline in sales of PlayStation hardware and software in Japan, are they counting on Western players to make up the majority of the sales? Persona is popular, but I don't think is a series that moves hardware like Pokémon, Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest.
I would think Persona would move hardware in the West at least. Persona 5 is like the FF7 and Dragon Quest 8 of it's series from a western point of view.

Also I do believe there is some kinda of deal where Sony platforms get mainline Persona games. At the least it seems like a handshake deal. The Switch could run base Persona 5 since that was on PS3 with the only difference being how many featureless NPC's were on screen compared to the PS4 version. Considering how good the PC port of P4 was they should at least try to port that over there since it sold like hot cakes for a old game.

In a ideal world every main system got the same game with the only difference being your choice of OS and hardware. Main reason I go for Switch is for the portability since I travel for work and PC because of choices how I want things to look (always no DoF and Motion Blur) and I have a Steam Controller to work around a minor physical disability that I have that's only going to get worse as I age.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1