• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Summit of the Gods is a Serious Oscar Contender

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barciad

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:21 am Reply with quote
Saw it, was blown away. Not just by how good it was. But why people don't do stuff like this more often. I.e. large scale cooperation between Franco-Belgian and Japanese artists/studios, and hence styles. They used to do it a lot back in the 1980's, in the process producing some of the greatest children's cartoons of all time. But then they stopped, and I've no idea why.
liatris

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Despite being a Japanese original, it cannot be seen in Japan.
Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so distraught...
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:59 am Reply with quote
Was anything rotoscoped? The scenes in the trailer where the characters are just talking look like they were animated normally but some of the mountain-climbing looks like it could have been based on actual footage although, yes, I am fully aware you can animate using filmed footage as a reference without rotoscoping.

Regardless, it looks amazing but I'm about 90% sure that the Academy's going for the safe choice, the safe choice this year being Encanto. I wouldn't be surprised if Summit of the Gods manages to get a nomination, assuming that it wasn't rotoscoped or, if there is minimal rotoscoping, it wouldn't be enough to disqualify it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
donhumberto

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:22 am Reply with quote
^^ As far as I can tell it was traditional 2D animation and it didn't feel rotoscoped, but I'm no expert so who knows... anyways, this was an absolute masterpiece of a film. By far the best animated feature I've seen since Genocidal Organ
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1