• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Aggretsuko Remains a Perfect Workplace Comedy

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MesousaGaby

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:04 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I still have to give this a hard pass, this show's really not that good, so I really don't get the hype.

Season 3 really pssed me off, man, the show having a status quo has basically killed it because it's just gona be Retsuko being back in her office instead, you know, actually progressing her character, or anyone else. It caused me to basically make fun of the Retusko/Haida ship since the way he's written in that season just made him so much more unlikeable.

Honestly, I just want High Rise Invasion season 2, Netflix, where the heck is it?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:46 am Reply with quote
MesousaGaby wrote:
Yeah, I still have to give this a hard pass, this show's really not that good, so I really don't get the hype.

Season 3 really pssed me off, man, the show having a status quo has basically killed it because it's just gona be Retsuko being back in her office instead, you know, actually progressing her character, or anyone else. It caused me to basically make fun of the Retusko/Haida ship since the way he's written in that season just made him so much more unlikeable.

Honestly, I just want High Rise Invasion season 2, Netflix, where the heck is it?

I'm sure we'll get more announcements for that (and hopefully a new Kengan Ashura season) next year, but I'm going to have to disagree with you on the topic of the status quo being a bad thing. Most good workplace comedies, going back to Taxi, are about the struggles of the status quo and the inability to break out of it, despite our best efforts, because of a lack of skill, a lack of luck, or the alternative option being considerably worse. The struggle is finding value and joy in the current status quo despite all that, despite the seemingly inherently unfair structure of the system. Hell, Taxi summarized it rather well -

Quote:
Elaine Nardo: I'm only going to be working here part-time... I'm not really a taxi driver.
Alex Reiger: I understand. You see that guy over there? He's an actor. The guy on the phone, he's a prize fighter. This lady over here, she's a beautician. The man behind her, he's a writer. Me? I'm a cab driver. I'm the only cab driver in this place.

But you live your life and enjoy it despite all that.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:02 pm Reply with quote
MesousaGaby wrote:
It caused me to basically make fun of the Retusko/Haida ship since the way he's written in that season just made him so much more unlikeable.

He's my favorite so I respectfully would like to know why you think he's unlikable? Confused

Quote:
this show's really not that good, so I really don't get the hype.

The show is great. You not liking it doesn't mean "it's not that good". It simply means you don't like it.

Last edited by Chiibi on Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Allison Addams

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I love Aggretsuko, but I still need to watch season 3. Glad to see this show is still going strong though.

I've recently discovered as well that they started doing Aggretsuko comics. Got the first issue not long ago.
Oggers

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I admit that I didn't like this season quite as much as the previous three, since it seemed a bit more rushed and I feel like there wasn't as much focus on Retsuko herself compared to other characters, but there were still things I liked about it. It was interesting to see more of the company's upper management and the conflict being white-collar crime. I'm still looking forward to season 5 and where the show goes from there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1