• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Netflix: More Than Half of Members Globally Watched 'Anime' Last Year

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpiritSmoocher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:29 am Reply with quote
Too bad netflix decided to hike prices, lock down on password sharing, make oanned live action adaptations, and crunchyroll is pulling its titles. Only reason so many people still have netflix is due to family plans where people are still under the assumption netflix has everything. In new markers like india, netflix is struggling against competitors.
mao-sama

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Variety reported on Monday that Netflix will release 40 "anime" titles this year as well

35 of them will be CGI
Erick123

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:20 am Reply with quote
40 licence anime or 40 produce anime?
Erick123

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:22 am Reply with quote
30 of those 40 are probably cartoons and they labeled western cartoons anime? wtf
Erick123

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:23 am Reply with quote
Netflix produce 10 anime this year
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:07 am Reply with quote
mao-sama wrote:
Quote:
Variety reported on Monday that Netflix will release 40 "anime" titles this year as well

35 of them will be CGI

The other 5 will be stiff, bland PowerPoint slideshow animations.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:27 am Reply with quote
That's not very helpful as the word "Anime", is a marketing term they use for animated shows aimed at teens and adults audiences.
Lulcelle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:49 am Reply with quote
I bet a big % of those numbers were made up of the most popular western "anime" of that year (Castlevania, Arcane).
chronium

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:56 am Reply with quote
They wouldn't be heavily investing in Japanese animation if people weren't watching the shows so all this nit picking about what percentage is Japanese or Western is just silly.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:49 am Reply with quote
mao-sama wrote:
Quote:

35 of them will be CGI

More like; some will be, some don't. Best to check the titles instead of making sardonic jokes that reeks of generalization.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:04 am Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
More like; some will be, some don't. Best to check the titles instead of making sardonic jokes that reeks of generalization.

If you get triggered that easily by people on this site criticizing Netflix when they have consumed their content and are entitled to talk about their mediocre quality, then you should refrain yourself from reading these opinions, and honestly, the only person coming off as sardonic here is you.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:27 am Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

If you get triggered that easily by people on this site criticizing Netflix when they have consumed their content and are entitled to talk about their mediocre quality, then you should refrain yourself from reading these opinions, and honestly, the only person coming off as sardonic here is you.

The people in this site are a small percentage of the overall opinions on a handful of them. And the thing is that I don't like it when generalization is perpetuated.
#rajsaha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

The people in this site are a small percentage of the overall opinions on a handful of them. And the thing is that I don't like it when generalization is perpetuated.

Not only the people of this site, most people of myanimelist hates Netflix anime
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:49 pm Reply with quote
#rajsaha wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

Not only the people of this site, most people of myanimelist hates Netflix anime

My point still stands in these sites don’t represent all voices of anime fans.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure we'll never know, but I am curious what those numbers would be for just anime compared to "anime".

Also, "watched" for Netflix tends to have different standards than most would consider to be "watched", so I wonder how much of that percentage (of either group) actually finished the show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2