• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out! Season 2 Anime Reveals English Dub's Cast, October 15 Premiere

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RommieSG

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand the voice matching for the first episode? Is this because Ricco wasn't available for the first episode? Wouldn't they just postpone a week so they could get him on for all the eps?
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:45 pm Reply with quote
RommieSG wrote:
I don't understand the voice matching for the first episode? Is this because Ricco wasn't available for the first episode? Wouldn't they just postpone a week so they could get him on for all the eps?

This has been happening somewhat regularly with Crunchyroll's current simulcast schedule. Sometimes if an actor isn't available for any given week, they'll be voice-matched for an episode or two for the simuldub version.

We just don't normally hear about it unless it's within the first episode and thus makes the initial cast announcement (like in this case), or the VA in question lets people know on social media.

For some reason, internal simuldub deadlines seem to have become extremely strict as of late (at least, based on my observations) in that they do everything in their power to prevent delaying an episode release.
JustMonika

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:44 pm Reply with quote
This is great news! Now I can start this! Monica is Uzaki-chan for me.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:22 pm Reply with quote
No surprises there, but nice to see the cast back.

I understand that people have lives and circumstances and they're trying to get these out on a weekly basis for production or efficiency reasons...but all this voice-matching going on across shows just kind of takes me out of it. Although I guess it's an incentive to buy the DVD release because they have the VA re-record for any episodes they missed (at least from my understanding).
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:09 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
No surprises there, but nice to see the cast back.

I understand that people have lives and circumstances and they're trying to get these out on a weekly basis for production or efficiency reasons...but all this voice-matching going on across shows just kind of takes me out of it. Although I guess it's an incentive to buy the DVD release because they have the VA re-record for any episodes they missed (at least from my understanding).

They did when it was Funimation, but who knows with CR. They seem to be cutting corners wherever they can after the merger.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:30 am Reply with quote
RommieSG wrote:

Delays can cause scheduling issues elsewhere. A booth might not be available later. In commentaries, actors have mentioned that part of the simuldub casting involves confirming if they will be available for 12+ weeks. Pushing it back may mean other actors are not available because they had other things happening. Considering that a delay in the Jaoanese broadcast results in a similar delay for the dub, despite being weeks later, I think they are getting the materials for it shortly beforehand and can't record ahead while they wait. It isn't ideal, but I can see why they do it.
merr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:36 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
RommieSG wrote:

Delays can cause scheduling issues elsewhere. A booth might not be available later. In commentaries, actors have mentioned that part of the simuldub casting involves confirming if they will be available for 12+ weeks. Pushing it back may mean other actors are not available because they had other things happening. Considering that a delay in the Jaoanese broadcast results in a similar delay for the dub, despite being weeks later, I think they are getting the materials for it shortly beforehand and can't record ahead while they wait. It isn't ideal, but I can see why they do it.

They could just record the other actors on schedule then have the unavailable person do a double session the following week. Their studio space is not so booked that they can’t squeeze one actor in.

It’s more likely that they have an internal mandate to get all simuldubs out on the same schedule and aren’t willing to make exceptions for individual languages. Things were different back when Funi only had to record in English.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:11 am Reply with quote
merr wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
RommieSG wrote:

They could just record the other actors on schedule then have the unavailable person do a double session the following week. Their studio space is not so booked that they can’t squeeze one actor in.

It’s more likely that they have an internal mandate to get all simuldubs out on the same schedule and aren’t willing to make exceptions for individual languages. Things were different back when Funi only had to record in English.

They weren't though. Prior to Covid, things like this happened about as often as it does now.
merr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:

They weren't though. Prior to Covid, things like this happened about as often as it does now.

I don’t remember any situation where they recast a lead for the premier but had the original actor return for episode 2.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1