×
  • remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: My Hero Academia Manga to End in 5 Chapters


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
KENZICHI



Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 1116
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:24 am Reply with quote
Ahhh so it’s the end after all;;; the journey was amazing, it’s the only long running manga I’ve followed to the end, and I hope Horikoshi ends it in a satisfying way.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
matt78



Joined: 25 Jul 2015
Posts: 254
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:45 am Reply with quote
It's been a fun ride. Hopefully Horikoshi takes a well-deserved break before starting a new manga.

Once the anime is finished, I hope they go back and animate Vigilantes. It's one of the few spin-offs that I think is as good as the original work.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
R. Kasahara



Joined: 19 Feb 2013
Posts: 680
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:46 am Reply with quote
Kind of relieved. I really enjoy this series but Horikoshi-sensei has a bad habit of letting his major arcs drag on a bit (I also blame Jump's editors, to be fair!). Congrats to him and looking forward to the ending in print Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ZetMoon80



Joined: 29 Nov 2018
Posts: 95
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:02 am Reply with quote
MHA first caught my attention when I saw the panel of Shigaraki in a hoodie with a creepy smile (that was like eight years ago). I remember that I used to get excited waiting for a chapter every week, but for the last years, I felt I was reading it just out of habit. The artwork is amazing, but after seeing so many promising story arcs concluding in anticlimactic ways one after one spoiler[(and the fact that none of the main heroes ended up dying)] ended up killing my overall enjoyment for the series. However, I don't really want to be critical of Horikoshi's work; despite everything, it's clear that he put everything he had into his series and it's not easy to dedicate ten years of his life on a weekly manga. I hope he can at least give it a satisfactory conclusion in these five chapters and that he gets the rest he deserves after his hard work.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HueyLion



Joined: 14 Feb 2014
Posts: 907
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 9:05 am Reply with quote
ZetMoon80 wrote:
MHA first caught my attention when I saw the panel of Shigaraki in a hoodie with a creepy smile (that was like eight years ago). I remember that I used to get excited waiting for a chapter every week, but for the last years, I felt I was reading it just out of habit. The artwork is amazing, but after seeing so many promising story arcs concluding in anticlimactic ways one after one spoiler[(and the fact that none of the main heroes ended up dying)] ended up killing my overall enjoyment for the series. However, I don't really want to be critical of Horikoshi's work; despite everything, it's clear that he put everything he had into his series and it's not easy to dedicate ten years of his life on a weekly manga. I hope he can at least give it a satisfactory conclusion in these five chapters and that he gets the rest he deserves after his hard work.


Agreed, I can't say Im happy about the fact Horikoshi didn't have it in him tospoiler[ kill off any of the main main characters, especially after such a intense battle in the end...]

However, 10 years is a great journey for shounen manga and MHA has defiantly been a fun ride through out these years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Soulwarfare



Joined: 10 Dec 2017
Posts: 534
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 9:43 am Reply with quote
spoiler[5 chapters of stories set after beating one for all is a nice touch. It is nice to see more of what happens after the end]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Smongo



Joined: 10 Feb 2024
Posts: 37
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:29 am Reply with quote
What a 10 year ride I say from where we started to how we’ll finish 10 years later. From starting what some people called “new gen” to finishing as one of the most influential manga in our time. I’m very impressed. Glad we’re ending off on a really high note.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Minos_Kurumada



Joined: 04 Nov 2015
Posts: 1114
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:12 am Reply with quote
Every manga should have long epiloges, I would argue that these 7 are not enough.

Tough, I am 75% sure this thing is gonna have a sequel.

It may be immediately, it might be in 10 years but we still have some unanswered questions.

And, even without then the world still has a lot to give.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tygerchickchibi



Joined: 29 Sep 2006
Posts: 1468
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:15 am Reply with quote
If Midoriya doesn't ask Ochaco out by the end of this series I'm gonna riot
If spoiler[Denki doesn't confess to Jiro] I'm also gonna riot
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RGaspar



Joined: 04 Oct 2011
Posts: 243
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:29 am Reply with quote
It's going to be the end of an era for me. Been following the anime and manga for 5 years+ now. Probably the longest I've read an ongoing shonen series.

While the last few arcs weren't as good as the first half, I still enjoyed the mayority of the main cast (and antagonists). Reading the evolution of characters I never expected to like like Bakugo or Endeavor has been fantastic, on top of a likeable protagonist and a big extended cast of wackos.

I hope we get a lot of confirmed ships. My Shipping Academia was real at some point in time.

Plus Ultra to the author!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Minos_Kurumada



Joined: 04 Nov 2015
Posts: 1114
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:37 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
If Midoriya doesn't ask Ochaco out by the end of this series I'm gonna riot
If spoiler[Denki doesn't confess to Jiro] I'm also gonna riot


This is actually quite the narrative dilemma.

The whole thing about Ochaco is that she cannot be honest with her feelings, she confessing would be part of her character development... but I think it would be a better scene if is Deku who does it, it also would help his development.

This is also why Toga is such a good antagonist to her, because Toga is 100% open about what she wants.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zaenzcampbaesa1



Joined: 13 May 2024
Posts: 11
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Smongo wrote:
What a 10 year ride I say from where we started to how we’ll finish 10 years later. From starting what some people called “new gen” to finishing as one of the most influential manga in our time. I’m very impressed. Glad we’re ending off on a really high note.


"Glad we’re ending off on a really high note" How can you even say that? The final arc was probably even worse that the Naruto final arc in terms of almost everything. The build up that Horikoshi made for that finale had some of the worst and most dissapointing resolutions i've read. This is not a "really high note" ending by any means.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
malvarez1



Joined: 17 Nov 2008
Posts: 1846
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I’m gonna miss MHA. Beyond being the end of an era, it also feels like it’s leaving a hole in Jump; is there any kind of replacement ready? Kagurabachi feels more JJK adjacent.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BadNewsBlues



Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 6088
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 2:07 pm Reply with quote
zaenzcampbaesa1 wrote:

"Glad we’re ending off on a really high note" How can you even say that? The final arc was probably even worse that the Naruto final arc in terms of almost everything. The build up that Horikoshi made for that finale had some of the worst and most dissapointing resolutions i've read. This is not a "really high note" ending by any means.


It’s also nowhere near the worst/most underwhelming ending of a series either. Not when Bleach, YuYuHakusho, Reborn, Eyeshield 21, and a slew of other manga & anime series could easily take the top spot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Minos_Kurumada



Joined: 04 Nov 2015
Posts: 1114
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 2:44 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
zaenzcampbaesa1 wrote:

"Glad we’re ending off on a really high note" How can you even say that? The final arc was probably even worse that the Naruto final arc in terms of almost everything. The build up that Horikoshi made for that finale had some of the worst and most dissapointing resolutions i've read. This is not a "really high note" ending by any means.


It’s also nowhere near the worst/most underwhelming ending of a series either. Not when Bleach, YuYuHakusho, Reborn, Eyeshield 21, and a slew of other manga & anime series could easily take the top spot.


Dude, let him be.

The guy made an account just to whine that this site doesn't hate these chinese doodles as much as him, his 9 posts are just about that.

Do you have any idea of the kind of issues one must have in his daily life just to do that?

If complaining that people doesn't complain gives him joy I am all for it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group