Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Comic Ranking, May 16–21




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Dargonxtc



Joined: 13 Apr 2006
Posts: 4463
Location: Nc5xd7+ スターダストの海洋
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Otomen revolves around a high school junior named Asuka: manly man and judo/karate/kendo master on the outside, lover of caramel macciato, shōjo manga, sweets, and pink things on the inside.


Wow. Well that sounds like it could be pretty funny to say the least.

Wait, I like sweets and some Shojo as well Confused

Good to see progress on XXXholic. Quicker they get, the quicker we get it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
manafairy



Joined: 04 Oct 2003
Posts: 113
Location: My own tweaked world....
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:49 am Reply with quote
So why has no one licensed Gantz yet?! It's clearly still popular over there and everyone knows Americans are insatiable when it comes to violence and gore (Or at least I am, and that's gotta count for something) and it's got an actual story, so why hesitate? Oh well, I'll just get back to living off scans until that bright day should come that I can put an english translated copy on my shelf -_-

But wow, I didn't realize how close the english release of XXXHolic is to the Japanese one. It's the only CLAMP title other than Legal Drug that I can honestly say I like though, so good to know it's really popular in Japan. It's kind of nice to know we're not that far behind them in terms of story.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
aluria



Joined: 11 Nov 2005
Posts: 367
Location: New Westminster, B.C., Canada
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:01 am Reply with quote
wow, didn't realize how popular xxxHolic is. I personally stopped reading the series, found it too slow and boring. Glad to Shinshi Doumei Cross on the top ten though^^ Need to get back to reading that...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Triradiates



Joined: 09 Apr 2006
Posts: 14
Location: Shreveport, LA
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:05 am Reply with quote
XXXHolic is considered a "Female-oriented manga"? >_> I know it's CLAMP and all, but still ...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Egan Loo



Joined: 25 Feb 2005
Posts: 965
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:12 am Reply with quote
Triradiates wrote:
XXXHolic is considered a "Female-oriented manga"? >_> I know it's CLAMP and all, but still ...


The article says "not counting Young Magazine's xxxHOLiC." The article's mention of Young Magazine specifically emphasizes that xxxHOLiC is nominally not aimed at the female audience.

The four mentioned female-oriented titles are The Gentleman Alliance, Life, Gakuen Alice, and Otomen—again, xxxHOLiC is not counted.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Triradiates



Joined: 09 Apr 2006
Posts: 14
Location: Shreveport, LA
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:32 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
The article says "not counting Young Magazine's xxxHOLiC." The article's mention of Young Magazine specifically emphasizes that xxxHOLiC is nominally not aimed at the female audience.

The four mentioned female-oriented titles are The Gentleman Alliance, Life, Gakuen Alice, and Otomen—again, xxxHOLiC is not counted.


I see... I didn't know anything about Young Magazine. =P Thanks for the clarification. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
teh*darkness



Joined: 16 Feb 2007
Posts: 901
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:11 pm Reply with quote
manafairy wrote:
So why has no one licensed Gantz yet?! It's clearly still popular over there and everyone knows Americans are insatiable when it comes to violence and gore (Or at least I am, and that's gotta count for something) and it's got an actual story, so why hesitate? Oh well, I'll just get back to living off scans until that bright day should come that I can put an english translated copy on my shelf -_-


Haha. Gantz is #10 in Japan. Yeah, why hasn't this been licensed yet? I would love to own it, and I'm assuming the anime did okay... Aside from the fact that it's published in a weekly mag, and the author only publishes one chapter every two weeks... And there are 12 chapters in one tank, so it takes almost 6 months before there is enough material to release the next volume... but still... there's 20+ volumes... any publisher could release this for a while before having to slow down... Heck, release it on a quarterly schedule. I can deal with that... I just want to own it... Anime hyper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Jamee



Joined: 06 May 2006
Posts: 79
Location: North Carolina
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Yay for The Gentlemen Alliance! I just bought volume 2 yesterday. Tanemura-sensei is the best!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Patachu
ANN Reviewer


Joined: 08 Jul 2004
Posts: 1325
Location: San Diego
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 4:28 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
manafairy wrote:
So why has no one licensed Gantz yet?! It's clearly still popular over there and everyone knows Americans are insatiable when it comes to violence and gore (Or at least I am, and that's gotta count for something) and it's got an actual story, so why hesitate? Oh well, I'll just get back to living off scans until that bright day should come that I can put an english translated copy on my shelf -_-


Haha. Gantz is #10 in Japan. Yeah, why hasn't this been licensed yet? I would love to own it, and I'm assuming the anime did okay... Aside from the fact that it's published in a weekly mag, and the author only publishes one chapter every two weeks... And there are 12 chapters in one tank, so it takes almost 6 months before there is enough material to release the next volume... but still... there's 20+ volumes... any publisher could release this for a while before having to slow down... Heck, release it on a quarterly schedule. I can deal with that... I just want to own it... Anime hyper


There are plenty of US manga publishers who would LOVE to license Gantz ... ask them at any con panel they're always like, "Yes, we would LOVE to license Gantz ... BUT ... " and then there's some fudgy corporate doubletalk about the creator and the editor and the publisher. So it's not for lack of trying, there's just a lot of big business getting in the way.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group