• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Novels that would make great anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sacchan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Have you ever read a novel and thought, "Wow! This would make a great anime"? If so, what is it and what is it about?

My choices:

1. The Chronicles of Pern by Ann McCaffrey

On a planet called Pern, deadly silver strands called Thread falls from the sky every once in a while. So whenever Thread falls, dragons and their riders fly out to burn them up before they reach the ground.

2. The Record of Delfinian War (デルフィニア戦記) by Kayata Sunako

When Lee woke up, she found herself in a completely different world and in the middle of a battle (1 against 10). But she's not just any kid (or human, for that matter). She's a master swordsman with inhuman strength. As it turns out, the guy she'd saved is a former king who had been betrayed and banned from his own country...

3. Scarlet Wizard (スカーレット・ウィザード) by Kayata Sunako

Kelly is a space pirate who's so good at manuvering space ships that he's called "The King of Pirates." Jasmine is the heir to the greatest conglomerate in the universe. But someone on her board of directors is trying to take over. On top of that, she must marry before she's 30 or she'll lose everything. So Jasmine chose Kelly (because he's a sort of a guy who can't be easily killed) and made a deal: They will marry for one year and she'll pay generously. And during that time, they would identify and eliminate whoever's up to no good.
But both Kelly and Jasmine have great secrets...
According to the author, she wanted to write a Harlequin romance but ended up with a "Harlequin violence."

Last edited by sacchan on Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Dark Nero

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Even though the movies are great,

Lord Of The Rings would make a sweeeeet anime IMO

It has one of the best story lines, character development and twist turns in a novel I have read.

Just my thought...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
ownerizer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I would love to see an animated "Oni" by Bungie software or an animed Dead or Alive.

I know they're not books, but hey.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
cyrax777

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:00 am Reply with quote
the whole Xanth series would make a awsome anime.
Also Unintened Consquences would make a bad ass OAV.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:23 am Reply with quote
*blink* Apparently I don't read any "modern"/bestseller/pop culture books, so I feel all out of the loop and stuff. Heck, here I was going to suggest a Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance movie, or like, a shoujo OVA based on Braddon's "Lady Audley's Secret." Or even a series of one-shots based on Bradbury's works. I'm so uncool.

Oh goodness, I hope no one ever takes it to mind to make a Harry Potter series. I love Potter, mind you, but I would pay big money to never see it in anime form.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:48 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Oh goodness, I hope no one ever takes it to mind to make a Harry Potter series. I love Potter, mind you, but I would pay big money to never see it in anime form.

You mean...

like THIS?

(click here for the 1024x768 version)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:18 am Reply with quote
Now that isn't just a little disturbing (cute, but still disturbing).

I'm going to stick to my guns and hope that some day someone finally puts Dragon Lance into motion! Doesn't even have to be animated, I'll take a live action or even a video game (would make an awsome current run RPG, though those old 286 games from way back when were actually a lot of fun and quite customizable). I just can't figure out why it hasn't been snagged by anyone seeing as how popular stuff like Slayers, Lodoss War, and Berserk have been. *sigh* Some day...

On the same note Wheel of Time would go over pretty well too, very non-classical fantasy series (i.e. doesn't follow the AD&D formulas). Would certainly add some originality to the theme.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aya Reiko

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:25 am Reply with quote
Haven't read any books lately, so I follow someone else's lead with games.

Any of Blizzard's big three franchises (Starcraft, Warcraft, Diablo) might work as an anime OVA series.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
nagash

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:27 am Reply with quote
A quick OT comment, if I may: concerning Wheel of Time: has anyone else picked up a stater deck for the CCG? A friend of mine gave me one but I haven't seen it anywhere else (I don't know where he got it).

If you're into deep plots (Patlabor, Ghost In The Shell, etc.) then I'd vote for any book featuring Ryan or Clark from the Tom Clancy books. This time, though, make the book and not the movie version. They altered the story so much for the movie that it was impossible to do the original version of Sum Of All Fears (killed off too many important characters).
Start out with Hunt For Red October and go right through to the end. You could even do the spinoffs (NetForce, etc.).

For a good sci-fi anime: the Blade Runner sequels.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:41 am Reply with quote
nagash wrote:
A quick OT comment, if I may: concerning Wheel of Time: has anyone else picked up a stater deck for the CCG? A friend of mine gave me one but I haven't seen it anywhere else (I don't know where he got it).

I've never seen the starter deck, just the booster packs at a local comic shop. They're long since gone now, the game came out around 2 years ago and didn't get a very vide release. I'm not a huge fan of WOT, but my brother is a major fan of the Robert Jordan series. He spent a long time hunting down those cards and a few booster packs are all we were able to find.

Emerje
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 2:08 am Reply with quote
Oooh, yeah, DragonLance! The Twins trilogy would be helluva cool to make as anime. Raistlin kicks ass! Twisted Evil

I think something based on the Raymond E. Feist universe(s) would be cool too. Take the Servant/Daughter/Mistress of the Empire trilogy for example. The world depicted in those books is based on Japanese culture (bushido especially), so it would be fun to see a Japanese interpretation of an American interpretation of Japanese culture Anime smile

And I think you could make a kick-ass sci-fi war epic based on some of the Bolo saga, or on Hammer's Slammers, or on the Man-Kzin Wars.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
radicaledward

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 8:32 am Reply with quote
The His Dark Materials series, which I'm guessing most have not heard of, but might have heard of the books: The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass. A very good series that has it all - mystery, intreage, and an epic battle at the end.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:07 am Reply with quote
There's a roleplaying game called "Engel" about Angels fighting demonic hordes of insects. I've never played it but I flipped through the book, and it seemed like it'd make a really cool anime series.

-Zac
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 11:00 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Or even a series of one-shots based on Bradbury's works. I'm so uncool.

Oh, that would be awesome! Bradburry's shorts are among the most thought provoking sci-fi I've ever read... or at least they were when I read them back in elementary school and early high school, I should re-read some of my old favorites (of course the problme with that is that sometimes you get sorely dissapointed).
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of s.f., some of Asimov's stuff would make terrific anime. I, Robot, if done properly, would be really good, as well as... Aw wow, someone needs to make a Foundation anime series!!! A lot of them would make good movies too, if well done, like Nightfall and stuff (with like, character design and planning by Amano, or some classic-type IGN.) (No, the Nightfall live-action doesn't count as a good movie. ;p)

Ah hell, someone should just make a series of shorts based off good ol' Golden Age s.f.. Heck, I'd buy it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7