• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: 009-1 DVD 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:57 am Reply with quote
I find it funny that Carl gave it a C- for music since Theron gave it an A-. I will agree with the later since the score worked for me and I agree that the OP song is really rocking. I think if you like the general aesthetic style of the series will make it or break it for viewers, especially the excellent "Bonus" episode on DVD3 which will completely tank if you can't get into the music and mood of the series.

It's funny that usually I will side with Carl over Theron or Zak when it comes to reviews (in regards to tastes that is since they all write solid reviews) but I will have to go with Theron with this series. I'm really glad that we get two different people reviewing the series so we can see both angles.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:

Quote:
I find it funny that Carl gave it a C- for music since Theron gave it an A-. I will agree with the later since the score worked for me and I agree that the OP song is really rocking. I think if you like the general aesthetic style of the series will make it or break it for viewers...

I sort of split the difference in that I enjoyed the music and visual style, but on the other hand thought the series itself was poor.

While I can see the type of theme/atmosphere (though the entire Cold War 'moral equivalence' bit seems increasingly a little smug and self-satisfied in current times vis-a-vie the struggles of Eastern European countries coming out from under the thumb of the Russians) the director was shooting for, I really question '009-1', given the realties of its character designs/concept trappings, as a remotely appropriate vehicle. It's comparable to a network ordering up a steamy 'Baywatch' nostalgia remake TV movie, and a director jettisoning 90% of the light-hearted camp and T&A in favor of focusing on how the lifeguards handle the beaches finances and a protracted battle on ethical hiring policies. In short, somebody's really missed the point.

Quote:
With its annoying directorial decisions and goofy sci-fi elements meshing uneasily with darker story elements, 009-1 sometimes measures up rather poorly against other spy fiction.

That's a decently spot-on sum-up, and to add what compounds the 'mish-mash' approach in this series is that, to me personally, the writing is abysmally bad, even in the context of anime, where one is usually more forgiving of less then stellar writing efforts. Something may be out of character organically to the material at hand, but if it's good enough you can forgive the rough spots. In '009-1' however, it seems as most everything is torn whole-cloth from every social-commentary war/sci-fi/spy cliche there is, and coated with a couple layers of over-the-top melodrama to boot. The whole affair comes across as pointedly ham-handed and sophomoric, which is a shame because the visual style is appealing in it's own and there are a couple outstandingly animated fight sequences throughout. While appreciating greater pursuits, sometimes it's better to be really fun, top-grade action/fan-service fluff than very mediocre angsty drama. Especially when the main character has a ballistic bust.[/quote]
lhernan02

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, I guess this puts the nail in the coffin of me spending any money on this series. Angst and machine-gun t*ts do not mix. Pity I was really hoping of some campy fun. Oh well, thats anime for you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1