• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Serious and Humoristic Mangas/Animes

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
irinthony

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:36 am Reply with quote
I would like recommendations for serious and humoristic mangas/animes. I feel that some serious ones, such as Homonculus, is too complicated and too serious and too long, so I'm kind of lazy to read especially I'm busy with my studies.

Full Metal Alchemist is a very good example of what serious and humoristic mangas/animes. =]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Tamaria

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Most popular shounen series balance humour, action and adventure pretty well...

Are you looking for a genre in specific?
irinthony

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
Most popular shounen series balance humour, action and adventure pretty well...

Are you looking for a genre in specific?

Do you mean Bleach by that? I feel it's too long. Meitantei Conan is also a very long series... even though it has a lot of humour and murders.

Not exactly. I don't have a genre in specific. Maybe you can recommend me some that you know of any genre.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Slice-of-life is probably the genre you'll find the most serious/humor manga in. If you don't mind a lack of action/adventure, I mean.

Examples:
-Maison Ikkoku
-Honey and Clover
-Solanin

Uhm, do you prefer manga for boys/men or girls/women?
Some Guy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:09 am Reply with quote
I think I get what you are saying. Is it that you are looking for something that stays serious but also has moment of humor interspersed within it? Given that you liked the FMA manga, it is anything like the Anime I can make at least one definite recommendation.

If you dont mind romance being used as a driving theme the Chobits fits the bill very well. It's not overly long and, I mean there is basically no filler so far as I can tell. It can be pretty philosophical at times, whether or not that matters is obviously your decision. That is to say, there is a lot of focus on theme as well as the characters themselves. Manga is cheap, pick up a used copy of volume 1 off of Amazon and see what you think. Just be warned that it can be a page turner towards the end.
frozenwill123

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:29 am Reply with quote
Try Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, I find it funny. It could get random sometimes.

It parodies lot's of manga such as Yu-Gi-Oh, Fist of the North Star, Dragon ball and Gundam just to name a few.
irinthony

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:03 am Reply with quote
Some Guy wrote:
I think I get what you are saying. Is it that you are looking for something that stays serious but also has moment of humor interspersed within it? Given that you liked the FMA manga, it is anything like the Anime I can make at least one definite recommendation.

If you don't mind romance being used as a driving theme the Chobits fits the bill very well. It's not overly long and, I mean there is basically no filler so far as I can tell. It can be pretty philosophical at times, whether or not that matters is obviously your decision. That is to say, there is a lot of focus on theme as well as the characters themselves. Manga is cheap, pick up a used copy of volume 1 off of Amazon and see what you think. Just be warned that it can be a page turner towards the end.

I actually only watched the anime of Full Metal Alchemist. =]

Actually I don't mind romance being used as a driving theme. However, there are a few reasons why I dislike Chobits. First is because of the ecchi and I don't really see a lot of serious parts in the anime especially as much as animes like Full Metal Alchemist. I didn't read the Chobits manga though and I'm not sure whether they sell it here in my country.
Some Guy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Ah, didn't notice the Indonesia next to where it said location. Having both seen and read Chobits I can say that the Manga has some very serious moments. That said the the ecchi factor in the manga is definitely a notch or two higher, so I suppose that rules that out.

Maybe Ah My Goddess, the manga is friggen huge, like over 30 volumes I think, but each volume is pretty self contained so you dont have to worry about stopping like at volume 9 or something. There is an anime version as well, which I have seen parts of and is fairly good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1