• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ironcat titles delayed indefinitely

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure this will be in the news section soon, but I just read at The Comics Journal blog that Studio Ironcat has cancelled submissions on, like, 34 books. This stinks for them, because if they could get those books in stores they might get the money they so clearly need from sales.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Carol Maxwell

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Well, they still need to get everything together before they can move to sales.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:
I'm sure this will be in the news section soon, but I just read at The Comics Journal blog that Studio Ironcat has cancelled submissions on, like, 34 books. This stinks for them, because if they could get those books in stores they might get the money they so clearly need from sales.

I didn't realize that they had 34 titles to release. Do you have the titles?
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I sure don't; that's the figure on the blog, but I'm sure ANN will get the facts.

Anyway, the only way they can get things striaghtened out is to get books in stores, so they can make some money. Barring that Studio Ironcat will be the first post-manga boom publisher to go under.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:23 pm Reply with quote
animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=4465

AoD's Chris Beveridge (who's dealt with Diamond for years) tells me he thinks Diamond was just using the cancel code to get the titles off the books. Ironcat couldn't give them a release timeframe, so Diamond cancelled their orders.

I think the TJC blog was wrong to call this a sign of Ironcat's demise. These are titles whose original release dates had already passed, so this is more about Diamond cleaning up their orders than Ironcat's continued decline. Now, if they do this for their upcoming releases...well, that's a problem.

Either way, one thing's clear: If Ironcat doesn't start releasing new titles, they aren't going to last much longer.
SamGoody0491

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Some Info...

"Cancel" Is A Diamond Term.

The books themselves are not cancelled.
They just are "Cleaning" the solicitation files,
So That Ironcat can Re-Solicit (sp?) when
they are supposed to come out.

because Diamond/Stores will keep ordering
and create a bigger backlog because its
still "Order-able" when it's not.

At least they mentioned some titles they're
doing, so they're not gone yet. We'll just
hope they come out soon, and as planned.
baltohoya

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:23 pm Reply with quote
This hardly seems like a big deal. Aren't there enough newsworthy topics out there? This site sure loves to pick on Ironcat.

"The cancellations you see are Diamond's order cancellations, nothing more."

http://www.ironcat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=153
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:56 pm Reply with quote
baltohoya wrote:
This hardly seems like a big deal. Aren't there enough newsworthy topics out there? This site sure loves to pick on Ironcat.

"The cancellations you see are Diamond's order cancellations, nothing more."

http://www.ironcat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=153

Keep your forked tongue behind your teeth.

Anything we print about Ironcat will be attacked by people desperatelyu trying to save the already-dead reputation of this troubled studio. We print news. Diamond cancelling *thirty-four* titles from a manga publisher is news. Yeesh.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:24 pm Reply with quote
This site hates to pick on Ironcat actually. But we aren't PNN so if something is newsworthy we post it.

As Zac said, "Diamond cancelling *thirty-four* titles from a manga publisher is news."

You might have noticed that we went out and got IC's side of the story. If we were picking on them or trying to make them look bad we probably would not have done this, would we?

-t
Carol Maxwell

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 12:41 am Reply with quote
I agree with Zak and Tempest, this is really big news. How often does a company have to cancel a big whopping thirty-four mangas. That never happens, or if it does, it very rarely happens as far as I know. I'm glad ANN is covering this story, it's importent for everyone to know this, especially people who were looking forward to those titles being released and don't know another way to find out why it hasn't come out when it was annouced to be released. Just a thought.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 1:54 pm Reply with quote
ANN isn't picking on Ironcat; I started the thread in response to something I'd read on another board, and ANN checked up on the story and set me straight: the original solicitations were cancelled, not the books.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1