• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu-Gi-OH! Zexal Premieres on Toonzai in U.S. on Saturday

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:15 am Reply with quote
I also think it's worth mentioning that they also plan to release the sub version of the episode on Monday, on their Toonzaki website. At least according to the small banner ad at the top of the Toonzaki site and a previous banner ad on your website.
GokaiLuna

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:21 am Reply with quote
Al Kahn is gone,
so I'll give it a chance...
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:25 am Reply with quote
Oh, it's right after Pokemon: Black & White on Cartoon Network. At least, it didn't overlap with other 'morning' anime.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:07 am Reply with quote
Shadöw1309 wrote:
Al Kahn is gone,

Judging by the clips they showed, it's still just as bad as the previous dubs
Siliva

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:12 am Reply with quote
(My CW affiliate pushes everything ahead 2 hours so I've already seen it)

Yeah, it's pretty much 4Kids being 4Kids. Though people were all expecting this to be a gag dub that would surpass the Japanese version.

But the fact that they're actually sticking to the original script (more or less at least) is a little disappointing.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:16 am Reply with quote
After that hassle over payment I didn't expect Zexal to get licensed.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:51 am Reply with quote
Shadöw1309 wrote:
Al Kahn is gone,

I would not give it a chance if I was you. Al Kahn or no Al Kahn.

This is the horror that is 4kids after all. Just cause they kept the original name for the main dont mean squat. They kept the same name for Yusei, but the series became vintage 4kids hack job.

Was really really hoping that they didn't get the license. but alias,my hopes get dashed for the franchise. Though i dont like doing this one bit , but I guess i will have to resort to start watching the fansubs online. Better that than have to watch more of the horror that is the 4kids hack job of anime series.

ALSO what the hell is up with the so called lawsuit? Has NAS and TV Tokyo changed their minds about taking back their license?

I WILL BE PISSED IF THAT IS THE CASE!!!!!! And so will a lot of others that are anti 4kids.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
baadaku12345

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:29 am Reply with quote
The dub was pretty good and this series seems really promising.
Davidnes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:13 pm Reply with quote
That was Terrible! it was pretty much the exact same thing as the first episode of Yu-Gi-Oh! except with a bad dub, bad characters and bad animation
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Siliva wrote:
Yeah, it's pretty much 4Kids being 4Kids. Though people were all expecting this to be a gag dub that would surpass the Japanese version.

Who thinks this other than people who don't like YGO in the first place?

Anyway, yeah, it was pretty bad; Shark and Yuma's voices are completely off, and I question the name "Bronk".. it's like they decided Tetsuo is fat so they should give him a silly name for comedic purposes. Though I'm curious how they handle the riceball in the next episode, Also they're gonna be using a lot of digital paint to lengthen Kotori's skirt in this show, from the looks of it.

I also find it ironic this is the one time where the main character actually has a catchphrase in the original (KATTOBINGU!... "Time to Duel" "Get Your Game On" and "Rev It Up" were all dub insertions) but they said they're going to change it around each episode or something.

jr0904 wrote:
This is the horror that is 4kids after all. Just cause they kept the original name for the main don't mean squat. They kept the same name for Yusei, but the series became vintage 4kids hack job.

Fairly common in edited dubs, actually.. it helps increase marketing value. Kind of like how Pikachu is one of the Pokemon to keep it's Japanese names (and subsequent Pichu, Plusul, Minun, and Pachirisu) the more world-wide a name can be, the better marketing it is. Yuma was pretty much the only name they keep from what I've seen so far, sort of like the original with Yugi (and Kaiba)
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I taped it, and will probably watch it soon.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Davidnes wrote:
That was Terrible! it was pretty much the exact same thing as the first episode of Yu-Gi-Oh! except with a bad dub, bad characters and bad animation

So it's just like the first Yu-Gi-Oh! series? Sweet. Razz
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I watched it this morining looks ok the only problem it on the same time as Rashi unfortunately. Confused
kaiser11492

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:08 pm Reply with quote
i have a lost all respect for 4kids. first they prematurely ended GX for no reason. then they did it AGAIN with 5Ds. 4kids doesn't deserve to dub anime because all they do to it is butcher it up. their writers must be monkeys because it is terrible. i mean why all the lame puns? they also make the stupidest edits and changes for no apparent reason (ex. Tetsuo becoming Bronk, erasing any Japanese and English text, crudely editing Kotori, not recognizing death, changing dialogue, etc.)

what i don't understand is how 4kids is able to survive past its expiration date. with 4kids loosing One Piece and Pokemon, declaring bankruptcy, getting sued by TVTokyo/NAS, and being despised by the anime community, they should've collapsed by now. but somehow they are still alive. i mean everyone hates them, yet they still function. how many blows will it take to keep them down for good?
kaiser11492

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:12 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Fairly common in edited dubs, actually.. it helps increase marketing value. Kind of like how Pikachu is one of the Pokemon to keep it's Japanese names (and subsequent Pichu, Plusul, Minun, and Pachirisu) the more world-wide a name can be, the better marketing it is. Yuma was pretty much the only name they keep from what I've seen so far, sort of like the original with Yugi (and Kaiba)

isn't it interesting how 4kids decided to keep the names Yugi, Yusei, and Yuma, yet they didn't keep Judai (which became Jaden)? just shows you how inconsistent and inept 4kids is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3