• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4 Anime Rank Among Top 40 Shows on Hulu in U.S.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In particular, Hulu and Funimation agreed this month to stream five new English-subtitled series within 48 hours of each episode's airing in Japan.

Available only to Hulu Plus subscribers only for the first week, unlike past seasons.

While one can currently skip over paying to watch on Hulu Plus (with commercials like most Hulu Plus programming, I assume) and watch ad-free on NicoNico.com, that can't last.
Saturn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:42 am Reply with quote
This is a really interesting article. I mean, I'm not surprised which series are the ones among the highest ranked, but it was still enlightening to read about their approach to viewers (looking for "one show that a million people love to death" rather than a show that 20 million kind of like). Hulu is definitely my go-to for online programming, so that makes me kind of happy.
Also interesting to see Adult Swim's view on anime.. I always wondered why they bothered. At the same time, they have one new series like... every year or two... so that's not really "edgy" anymore huh? xD
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:05 am Reply with quote
Caveat emptor. Back when Netflix was new, they relied more on anime for these very same reasons - plus early tech adopters tend to be geeks who tend to like niche programming such as anime. Once Netflix got big with the populace, they decided they outgrew anime and relied on it less and less - resulting in their anime release date pick-ups becoming spottier and spottier. Don't be surprised when Hulu goes the same way, mirroring the fledgling pay-cable channels in the 1990s and early 2000s.

Murder She wrote:

Anime-related DVD sales, movies and character goods accounted for about $2.74 billion in the United States in 2009, down from a peak of $4.84 billion in 2003, according to the latest study released by the Japan External Trade Organization, a division of the Japanese government.

Heh, doubt we'll ever see that kind of peak again.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:45 am Reply with quote
Anime is the only reason I subscribe to Hulu Plus.
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:33 am Reply with quote
I used to subscribe to Hulu Plus, but I found that most of the anime wasn't available to watch through the PS3 or Roku apps, and until the recent Funimation deal, there were no anime shows that were Plus only. That has changed with Guilty Crown and Last Exile: Fam (and I presume a couple of the other new simulcasts...) I may have to rethink subscribing (but Playon software gets me all of hulu on my TV, so the few shows that are only on Plus can wait for now...)

I did a quick scan, and while I may have missed a title or two, if you go down to the top 200 shows on Hulu right now, there are 24 anime titles in that top 200. That is more than 10% of the top 200 shows. Not bad for a niche genre.
BarensMom

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Cartoon Network sure isn't living up to its name, with only the only current running anime being Bleach. Don't get me wrong, I loved Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell, but only one night devoted to anime and much of that years old and rerunning ad nauseum, really? Do the people at CN know or care that most of the rest of Adult Swim is dreck?

Thank goodness for Hulu - I hope they don't mess it up.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Just wait for the economy to pick up and then every sector, including entertainment of the anime kind, will see increased sales figures.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:18 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:

Just wait for the economy to pick up and then every sector, including entertainment of the anime kind, will see increased sales figures.

I don't doubt, as the economy improves, the revenues will once again increase. But the reason I doubt we'll see that kind of peak again is because anime is becoming more of a commodity now, like regular TV, and less of an art that you just have to own. The revenue is now down to almost half of what it once was. Many fans now know how to legitimately watch it for free or for affordable fees (streaming, rent, etc.), just like regular TV. There's less of a collector's mentality; you don't have to buy expensive videos anymore to keep up with fan discussions; and I daresay there's less total fans now (particularly casual fans) down from the heydays of DBZ, Toonami weekdays, Sat morning toons, and when anime was the up-and-coming new-kids-on-the-block craze on national TV. The early 2000s was a special era - it's tough to recapture lightning in a bottle twice.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:38 pm Reply with quote
None of this matters to me. Living in New Zealand is great from the "avoid most problems the world faces" perspective, but the lack of legal streaming services is annoying. We live in a time where the world is interconnected by the internet, and it seems silly that there are still distribution zones, hold-overs from a by-gone era. Why should Hulu only be available to those in the United States? I would gladly use it if only I was allowed to access it.

I don't want to have to use a proxy to watch a legally-available episode; that's defeating the point.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Edward Elric was in my New York Times...either someone decided to combine two of my favorite things for my sake, print journalism is more desperate than ever, or anime streaming is a very important business story today.

Very Happy

It's kind of unfair that anime is cheaper than other types of programming, but I'm glad that [as] still wants to air it!
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:46 pm Reply with quote
BarensMom wrote:
Cartoon Network sure isn't living up to its name, with only the only current running anime being Bleach

Durarara also says hi. Razz
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
BarensMom wrote:
Cartoon Network sure isn't living up to its name, with only the only current running anime being Bleach

Durarara also says hi. Razz

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood *just* finished it's first full run, what, a month ago? Kekkaishi did not garner many fans, but it was a new show that was aired on [as].

[as] seems to be doing okay with their originals, too. As far as I know, Venture Brothers, Robot Chicken, Squidbillies, Aqua Teen, Superjail and Frankenhole are all still ongoing, and they just launched China, Il.

I'd complain that they have too much live action, but I like "NTSF:SD:SUV::" a little too much. Laughing

I'm glad that they're back to rerunning FLCL, GitS, Cowboy Bebop, etc. during dead time rather than replaying their earlier line up ad nauseum. It gives people with DVRs or insomnia a chance to check the shows, and it's better to have anime on TV than *not* to have anime on TV, IMHO.

As long as Crunchyroll sticks around, I'm not worried about Hulu dropping anime (how's Crunchyroll working outside of the U.S these days?)

I nit-picked the article for not including info on other international shows, such as British shows, and not mentioning other up-and-coming, niche streaming sites such as Crunchyroll. It was a fair overview overall, though.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Kekkaishi actually did very well for CN, it did better than FMA: B. Between Bleach, Kekkaishi, and FMA: B, AS had something of a return to form for anime after a couple years of series that didn't do as well.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:04 pm Reply with quote
That's good to hear,Charred Knight . I think FMA:B would have had better ratings if they ran it just a half hour earlier. 1AM seems to be the Saturday-night-TV cut off for many people in my experience (maybe that's because it's when SNL ends?) I had a hard time convincing/explaining to people why I wanted to watch TV 'till 1:30 AM on quite a few weekends during its run. I don't think I'll ever appreciate [as]'s scheduling.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
1AM seems to be the Saturday-night-TV cut off for many people in my experience (maybe that's because it's when SNL ends?)

Surprisingly, Family Guy Sunday night 2am (that's 2am Monday morning) can get 700,000 people. Shocked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2