• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Winter is Coming

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
supercreep

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm one of those fans that would recommend Un-Go.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, haven't seen Hell Girl so I don't know if she or Inga would win in a fight, someone else will have to make that call. But I do remember seeing an explantion for Bettenou, I forget if it was in the show itself or by one of the translators for the show but it was something along the lines that spoiler[she was a false god created from words, I think propaganda, and like all propaganda she was only as strong as the beliefs people had in her. ]
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see Fate/Zero #2 here.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quote
And Guilty Crown is dropped in the end. I'll give you credit for lasting through the first 11 episodes! Laughing
Botan24

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Whoever doesn't cry while watching Chihayafuru must have ice water in their veins...or no pulse. spoiler[ When the team won regionals] I was alternately laughing and crying. Suffice to say, that I was completely caught up in their joy. It was excellent! And even as I recall that moment, I feel myself tearing up a little. Any show that can capture me like that is at the top of my list. It's really awful that no one is going to license this.

As for the rest, I'm still following Persona 4 and Phi-Brain. Both are fun and entertaining.

The other fall show I'm still with is Kimi to Boku. It's kinda sad that many dismissed this. True enough, the first episode is slow, and kinda pointless. But as the show continues, its growing wit that's very hard to find in any form of entertainment. I like it, and am happy to hear it will have a second season.
omoikane

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:20 pm Reply with quote
now that un-go is over, will someone tell bamboo what the source material is? and how amazing of a job they did to transform that stuff into this anime?

the constant reference to the source material seems just unwarranted. but i guess that is like being stuck on looking for suspense or something in every mystery and then miss out on how clever the story is.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, I have to admit, guilty crown became some what crappy at the end of this season. Nonetheless, I am gonna keep watching it because I believe something can be done to improve the quality of the show. Since the animation department is already really amazing, if they just somehow fix the plot then it could very well work out.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Chihayafuru was like a pitcher hitting a home run - no one ever expects it. I only checked out the show because I saw that Madhouse was producing it. And wow, did I get way more than I expected. I absolutely love all the characters in the show, and that's what keeps me around. Not to mention it's one of the best looking shows of the year.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Tons of people expected it. Heck, anybody who watched Card Captor Sakura should have expected it. Morio Asaka can work wonders given any sort of story, and considering the manga for Chihayafuru had won prestigious awards, the only really debatable thing was how much effort Madhouse would put into it.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote
You were spot-on about the scene in Chihayafuru when she finds out her dad has the scrapbook. I'm pretty sure every single episode has a moment like that where I am literally sitting straight up in my seat cheering or crying tears of joy... sometimes both at the same time, and sometimes multiple times within an episode. Chihayafuru is pure love.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Chihayafuru is love. I've been watching it with my partner, who's not that into anime, and I came home from the obligatory Christmas visit to the parentals to find that he'd watched episode 12 without me because he didn't want to wait any more! I also agree about Phi-Brain, I was on the verge of dropping it, but after reading this, I definitely will. It's a shame it didn't keep going as it started. As for Guilty Crown, I'm still enjoying it enough to keep going, so we'll see if it improves, I guess.
jsieczkar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm on the fence with Un-Go in that I'm not sure if I would recommend or buy the show. It ended strong but in reality the first couple of episodes were basically through a ways and added nothing to the meta arc. Once we got some character development I started to get interested and it ended with some good stories. Would I watch the series again, kind of but only half of the episodes are really worth a second, third or fourth run though.
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Tons of people expected it. Heck, anybody who watched Card Captor Sakura should have expected it. Morio Asaka can work wonders given any sort of story, and considering the manga for Chihayafuru had won prestigious awards, the only really debatable thing was how much effort Madhouse would put into it.
"Tons" is a pretty broad statement considering how few people know who Morio Asaka is or even that Chihayafuru has a manga.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:02 pm Reply with quote
what the hell is with the column thumbnail picture?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Guilty Crown is just pure awesome. The season finale really amped things up and ended on a cliff hanger that makes the wait for episode 12 painful.

It's not all just dazzle but there's a lot of substance there too. From the character relations to the mystery of what the virus is, how it ties into Shu's past, and what exactly the bad guys have in mind for it.

It's been a great show for the first half and I can only imagine the second half becoming even better. Definitely one of the best of the season.

As for the other stuff, Fate/Zero is good but the first half was incredibly underwhelming. While a lot has happened nothing really got accomplished save for Assassin going out like a chump. I know there's lots of awesome to be had in the 2nd half when the war gets more serious but at this point it's all pretty meh. It also lacks a lot of the heart Fate/Stay Night had. As dense as Shiro is, he was still a likable guy and his optimism was nice. Zero is all doom and gloom with the occasional bright patch, mostly thanks to Rider and Iri.

Having to wait until April for the really good stuff sucks big time.

Not watching Future Diary because I've read the manga and that was enough. spoiler[It really gets silly later on.]

I liked UN-GO but can understand any distaste for it. The mysteries were pretty bleh but I enjoyed the characters.

Shame you skipped over some other stuff this season, like Squid Girl and Working'!!, the latter of which always had me on the floor laughing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5