• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Auctioned Yu-Gi-Oh! Card Sells for US$15,000+ in Japan

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Good lord, I can get paying a lot for a extremely rare card (Hundreds to $1,000 maximum.), but $15,000 for ONE single card? Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:28 pm Reply with quote
What's so good about Grizzly? Confused
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Stephen Colbert is not amused by this.
Xagor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:

Nothing, it's just that it's in very limited supply. It's basically a trophy more than a card. From what I can recall it's encased in a glass/plastic block of some kind anyway, and like the card says you can't actually use it.

It's a collectors items nothing more.
mudduck454

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Xagor wrote:

And not to stereotype, but the Japanese love limited and rare items of any kind,
bunniiboi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Well the yugioh card market is based off a supply and which change constantly depending on what tops at ycs and what people think are going to be good in the near future. Plus counting constant random reprints, a lot of high value cards cannot retain maximum value or at least a very high one compared to Magic cards. At least very limited supply cards like Grizzly will retain value and be sought after my collectors. This still doesn't explain why someone really would pay that much for that one card. With that money you can pay for a college education or bills. In the sense of wanting a good yugioh card the person could just use that to invest in some good collections that others are selling. This is just my two cents on the topic.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:11 am Reply with quote
Xagor wrote:
Gon*Gon wrote:

Nothing, it's just that it's in very limited supply. It's basically a trophy more than a card. From what I can recall it's encased in a glass/plastic block of some kind anyway, and like the card says you can't actually use it.

If it was playable, say hello to Victory Dragon
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:08 am Reply with quote
Though impressive, this doesn't top the first English copy of Cyber Stein, which sold for $23,500.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:45 am Reply with quote
Ryvius213 wrote:
Though impressive, this doesn't top the first English copy of Cyber Stein, which sold for $23,500.

To be fair, that was really the fault of the American version of the card game, which is a complete slap in the face/rip off compared to the Japanese version. I don't really know much about the English version of the card game, admittedly, but from what I just looked up Devil Franken was only released in some limited tournament thing called "Shonen Jump Championship Series Prize Cards"? In Japan it was just a starter deck card in the Kaiba Deck... you could get it and 50+ other awesome cards for less than 10 bucks. Yeah... little bit of a difference there.

Actually the awesome thing about the Kaiba Deck was it had Three Blue-Eyes White Dragon cards, but it followed the lore of the manga/anime, and each of those three cards was in a different language (in the manga, Kaiba hunted down and bought all 4 printed copies of them from various people all over the globe.. the last one being Sugoroku's, which he ripped up) One was in Japanese, one was in Chinese, and the third was in English (this predates the English version of the card game, for the record, so it's a Japanese card written in English) Pretty neat thing to have in terms of collectors items.

Also, during the early Yu-Gi-Oh metagame, Devil Franken was actually playable and pretty much the key to one turn kills. Bring out a free Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon or Thousand Eyes Sacrifice or whatever the old combo was (it's been so long I forgot) in one turn and you were gold. I imagine that was why English players wanted it so bad, it would make them unstoppable and one of the very few English players to actually have that card.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:27 am Reply with quote
Ryvius213 wrote:

The first tournament copy of Cyber Stein did get a bid of US$23,500, but the bidder never paid, so the card was eventually re-auctioned for "only" a third of that amount.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:58 am Reply with quote
This is unbelievable. People still like Yu-Gi-Oh? Smile
Dagon123

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:58 am Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
This is unbelievable. People still like Yu-Gi-Oh? Smile

"This is unbelievable, people still think madly popular card games aren't popular because they aren't into them anymore?"

Same thing with Pokemon (not so much the card game) but people are so "astounded" by how not only are people still playing them, but they get more popular each and every year, that's because, believe it or not, in many cases, they are getting better each year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1