Features - 2011
- Winter 2012 Anime Spotlight: The List ()
- Exclusive Look at MTV's New Manga-Style Comic ()
- Interview: Koji Yamamoto, Ryo Ohyama, and George Wada on Guilty Crown ()
- A Look at TIFFCOM and Tokyo International Anime Festival 2011 ()
- Interview: Hiro Mashima ()
- Interview: Junko Takeuchi ()
- Interview: Fate/Zero Screenwriter Gen Urobuchi ()
- Fall 2011 Anime Spotlight ()
- The Fall 2011 Anime Preview Guide ()
- Interview: Atsuhiro Iwakami ()
- Last Exile - Fam, the Silver Wing- Australian Premiere ()
- Interview: Blood-C's Tsutomu Mizushima and Junichi Fujisaku ()
- Interview: Makoto Shinkai ()
- Interview: Michio Fukuda, Director of Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan ~Demon Capital~ ()
- The Anime and Manga Fan's Guide to Comic-Con 2011 ()
- Interview: Kalafina ()
- The World Is Hers: How Hatsune Miku Is Changing Everything ()
- Interview: Danny Choo ()
- Interview: Taku Kishimoto, Scriptwriter for Usagi Drop ()
- The Summer 2011 Anime Preview Guide ()
- Summer 2011 Showcase ()
- Interview: Ryo from supercell ()
- Special Event: The Cast and Director of Fractale ()
- What's Up Doc? Irabu's Office director Kenji Nakamura ()
- Interview: Evan Stone ()
- Interview: Berryz Kobo ()
- Interview: Stereopony ()
- Interview: Deadman Wonderland director Koichi Hatsumi ()
- Round Table: The Cast of C: The Money of Soul and Possibility Control ()
- Interview: Blue Exorcist mangaka Kazue Kato ()
- Interview with Matt Greenfield - SMASH 2010 ()
- Interview: Kazuhiro Furuhashi, Director of Gundam UC ()
- Interview with Yūko Miyamura - SMASH 2010 ()
- The Spring 2011 Anime Preview Guide ()
- Interview with Tiffany Grant - SMASH 2010 ()
- They Live By Night - Interview with Takahiro Omori ()
- Interview: Garden of Sinners' Atsuhiro Iwakami and Hikaru Kondo ()
- A Few Minutes with Kenichi Matsuyama ()
- The Winter 2011 Anime Preview Guide ()
- Anime in America: Theron and Carl's Best (and Worst) of 2010 ()
Our giant glittering gift guide continues with a tour through the stacks of this year's best artbooks, manga, box sets and much more! ―
What happens when the world of Parasyte collides with Hiro Mashima's Fairy Tail? Find out in our exclusive preview of Kodansha Comics' new anthology, Neo Parasyte m! ― There aren't too many manga that are as beloved as Hitoshi Iwaki's landmark series Parasyte - it's cited constantly by creators the world over as a major influence on their work. Out today from Kodansha Comics, Neo Parasyte m is an ant...
You probably can't even count the number of times jan-ken-pon comes up in anime. Why is it so ubiquitous? Justin has an answer. ― Samuel asked: Mind explaining the history of the Japanese version of Westerners' "rock/paper/scissors" known as jan-ken-pon (and what each gesture looks like and does to another gesture)? The game of Rock-Paper-Scissors is so ancient and so pervasive across the world, the...
Director Masaki Tachibana answered questions about his surprise hit anime series at this year's inaugural Anime NYC. Rachel Kelly has the details from this special screening and Q&A sessions! ― Princess Principal is an anime about cute girls being spies in a fictional, steampunk version of Victorian London, an original project that came seemingly out of nowhere. While it wasn't highly anticipated goi...
This surprisingly dark shoujo romance wraps its themes of colonialism around a "Little Red Riding Hood" tale. Rebecca Silverman untangles its heavy yet rewarding story. ― Well, hey there, Little Red Riding Hood! Aarne-Thompson tale type 333, the story best known as “Little Red Riding Hood” in English, has been one of anime and manga's go-to fairy tales for inspiration, and Spica Aoki's Beasts of Abig...
URAHARA is about as cute, unassuming, and completely under-the-radar as you can get. This week in anime, we dig in to see if we've been sitting on something special. ― URAHARA is about as cute, unassuming, and completely under-the-radar as you can get. This week in anime, Michelle and Jacob dig in to see if they've been sitting on a hidden gem this season. Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed...
Looking for the perfect way to express your otaku side no matter where you go? Our guide to the best anime fashion and accessories of the season will get you there! ―
just for fun
Who among us can resist the siren song of the kitchen after watching a bunch of Food Wars? ―
The first arc of Sword Oratoria that provided the season finale for its anime adaptation comes to a close. Theron Martin compares these two versions for any juicy details that may have gotten left out. ― Despite leaving out a few details here and there, the DanMachi anime series was largely a faithful and excellent adaptation of the source novels. The anime version of Sword Oratoria was a far less im...
just for fun
Jacob and Zac chew on Justice League for a while before digging in to your Twitter questions - Evangelion, Kino's Journey, Ancient Magus Bride and a whole lot more! ― ANNCast Episode 311 - New Dominion Thank Police Jacob and Zac chew on Justice League for a while before digging in to your Twitter questions - Evangelion, Kino's Journey, Ancient Magus Bride and a whole lot more! You can listen to the ...
Our 2017 Holiday Gift Guide begins with an enormous gilded mountain of 2017's biggest and brightest DVD and bluray anime releases! ―
What's the difference between letterboxing and pillarboxing? And what are those tiny black borders you see on some old anime that don't have any of that? Justin Sevakis explains. ― Duc asked: Every once in a while, especially when I'm watching an older movie on Blu-ray, I'll see a thin border around the picture. Why is that there? Also, can you explain the difference between pillarboxing and letterb...
Our correspondent saw the live-action Fullmetal Alchemist movie during its world premiere at Anime NYC this weekend - here's her full report, plus comments from the director! ― The live-action Fullmetal Alchemist movie, directed by Fumihiko Sori, made its world premiere at the Tokyo International Film Festival on October 25 and will open in Japan on December 1. Luckily for us, the movie made a specia...
Gabriella revisits the anime adaptation of this hit JRPG to see if it's worth watching on its own merits, while Paul runs down all this week's new releases along with a new king-sized Shelf Obsessed! ― Since in-game purchases seem to be a hot topic in the video game world these days, I figured I'd offer up a potentially obvious piece of advice as someone who's bought and collected all kinds of junk ...
Erina's evolution comes to a head as Soma battles Tsukasa in this exciting volume. Rebecca Silverman has the details. ― Ever since Erina's father Azami Nakiri returned to Totsuki in an orchestrated semi-hostile takeover, the school has been in an uproar. Not only is he trying to remake Japan's culinary world in his own image, but he's also dedicated himself to stamping out what he sees as unnecessary...
The complete manga that inspired the award-winning film is finally available in English. Rose Bridges compares this edition to its adaptation and as a work of historical fiction on its own. ― When I saw the film version of In This Corner of the World at Otakon this year, I was impressed and thrilled, but also struck by its odd plot structure. Nearly all of the film's driving narrative is in the third...
All of the news headlines from this weekend's Anime NYC event in New York City, plus our cosplay galleries and plenty of photos from around the convention floor! ― November 17-19, 2017, New York City Cosplay Galleries Cosplay Gallery Day I Cosplay Gallery Day II Photos From Around The Convention Floor Day One Headlines Viz Media Licenses Mazinger Z Infinity Film Viz Media Licenses That Blue Sky Feel...