• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sadamoto's Evangelion Manga to Resume in April

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gentry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:56 am Reply with quote
Never heard of it.
jrnemanich

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:02 am Reply with quote
Great news, The manga is very good but different to the anime.

Last edited by jrnemanich on Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
kewldude

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:10 am Reply with quote
Gentry wrote:
Never heard of it.

you're missing something really epic. Go check out the anime, especially the new movies - Evangelion 1.11 and 2.22.

Total Awesome Sauce. It's by Gainax, the makers of Gurren Lagann, if you know about it.

Either way, both gurren and Eva are two completely unmissable watches if you like anime.
sainta

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:41 am Reply with quote
I hope this is the last time that this manga will resume. I'm kind of tired of hiatus considering the series was entering into its last chapters.
Lowlife187

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:53 am Reply with quote
So hold on one minute. The Evangelion Manga isn't complete? So the TV and/or new movie endings are all made up and don't end the story the way the manga artist intended?

That truly explains the end of the TV show, it was very weak and made absolutely no sense. I wonder what the real ending is like!
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:01 am Reply with quote
i hope he finally finishes it this time. 17+ years is way to long to churn out something like this.
Wiesteria

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:09 am Reply with quote
I forgot this was even on hiatus. Nice to know that it will finally be completed.

Lowlife187 wrote:
So hold on one minute. The Evangelion Manga isn't complete? So the TV and/or new movie endings are all made up and don't end the story the way the manga artist intended?

That truly explains the end of the TV show, it was very weak and made absolutely no sense. I wonder what the real ending is like!

No, I doubt the manga hiatus had anything to do with it. The manga was just part of the Evangelion franchise spearheaded by the anime. The anime ending went just as Hideaki Anno wanted it to.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:11 am Reply with quote
Lowlife187 wrote:

You're about a month early on that comment.
sonickid101

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Lowlife187 wrote:

really? in the age of google people are still THAT misinformed?
short story, the anime came first, the manga was a promotional tie in that showed the first chapter a few mounths before the first episode to inform people about the anime, and is still going because Sadamoto is either realy busy or realy lazy, we're not sure.

glad to hear its coming back! I bet we'll get 2 pages and then back of hiatus for 2 more years
prabb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:57 pm Reply with quote
The manga looks like it was going to end like spoiler[End of Eva.] Opinions?
gwern

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:06 pm Reply with quote
prabb wrote:
The manga looks like it was going to end like spoiler[End of Eva.] Opinions?

Sadamoto seems like a lazy bastard who is sick & tired of Eva; my money is on him largely continuing to follow EoE (as he has been doing) but with slightly more optimistic and cheerful versions of events. So if there's another beach scene, it won't end so ambiguously but more clearly optimistic and progressing.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I had fully expected Volume 12 to be the final volume, after waiting so dang long for it. Much to my surprise, it wasn't. After reading Volume 12, it seems like the manga just has one last volume to go, or if Sadamoto was truly sadistic he may squeeze it out for two at the most (or least???).

I don't think he would've gotten away with working on this manga as long as he did if not for Evangelion's popularity. Despite that, I'm so hooked to the manga version with each new volume coming out. Although for now it seems like it'll end the same way or at least take the same ending pathway as The End of Evangelion, Sadamoto continues surprising me with the handful of differences the manga has from the original story (in the latest volume, spoiler[Shinji's father being the one who saves Shinji from getting shot while also using his Adam powers was truly the most stunning one yet]).

It's all making me all the more excited to see how Sadamoto will ultimately conclude the manga version of the Evangelion story. With him resuming work, I'm just going to have to wait a little bit longer--and hope that 13 will be the lucky-number final volume.
Lowlife187

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:44 pm Reply with quote
sonickid101 wrote:
Lowlife187 wrote:

really? in the age of google people are still THAT misinformed?
short story, the anime came first, the manga was a promotional tie in that showed the first chapter a few mounths before the first episode to inform people about the anime, and is still going because Sadamoto is either realy busy or realy lazy, we're not sure.

glad to hear its coming back! I bet we'll get 2 pages and then back of hiatus for 2 more years

I was going on the GANTZ assumption. I read that Manga and the anime was over well before the end of the manga, which is not over. I did not know the anime of Eva came before the manga, it is usually the other way around.
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Wait whoa huh do what now?

I could have sworn on Anno's grave that Vol. 12 was supposed to be the end of the series. Since when was it just "on hiatus"?
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:32 pm Reply with quote
After one and a half volume adapting End of Evangelion, Sadamoto isn't even done covering the first half of the movie. I think he'll need at least two more volumes to finish the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2