• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yuruyuri Manga Gets TV Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ptj_tsubasa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:33 am Reply with quote
There's a typo in the title.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:54 am Reply with quote
4 girls... fun club... a tea room.... how coincidental Smile
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:22 am Reply with quote
So, it finally got confirmed.

And I'm still split on this. While I don't MIND cutesy moe slice-of-life series, the thing is that this series is mostly a cutesy moe slice-of-life series on a yuri magazine where the obvious expectations from the viewer are the girls start falling in love on each other or at least have a lesbian character. But no, this series actually skirts the line between real yuri and romantic 2 girl friendship like you see in Hidamari Sketch.

I'd say this is one of the best series that showcases the threshold between what those Japanese otaku expect in their yuri and what WE expect. Confused
jtiskool305

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:00 am Reply with quote
.... this sounds familiar....
Caelus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:19 am Reply with quote
Wonderful, basically the only Yuri Hime series that has NO yuri content is the only one who gets adapted to anime.

Furthermore the series is completely unoriginal and unfunny. Just moe lolis doing moe things, perfect for the waifu otaku...
Joichiro Nishi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:01 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I'd say this is one of the best series that showcases the threshold between what those Japanese otaku expect in their yuri and what WE expect. Confused

Maybe we put our western expectations in a Japanese genre. We see lesbianism as a sexual orientation while Japan see it as a "phase", they call it Class S. I'm not saying every Japanese think that way but the anime genre is extremely conservative, even reactionary, because its audience search a virtual love with an ideal (read sumisive) woman. Yuri is just a way to preserve the "pureness" of their waifus because lesbianism isn't a real love. As Onii-sama's Miya-sama said: "It's so sad you died without falling in love of a man. You didn't know the real love" or something like that.

Yuri was born in shoujo magazines and it usually have tragic endings for teaching what happen when a girl cross the line between Class S and lesbianism. While yaoi got a solid niche, yuri never found its audience. Most girls don't like it for obvious reasons and guys want an avalaible waifu. Yuruyuri is the future of yuri Crying or Very sad
Caelus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:32 am Reply with quote
Joichiro Nishi wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

Maybe we put our western expectations in a Japanese genre. We see lesbianism as a sexual orientation while Japan see it as a "phase", they call it Class S. I'm not saying every Japanese think that way but the anime genre is extremely conservative, even reactionary, because its audience search a virtual love with an ideal (read sumisive) woman. Yuri is just a way to preserve the "pureness" of their waifus because lesbianism isn't a real love. As Onii-sama's Miya-sama said: "It's so sad you died without falling in love of a man. You didn't know the real love" or something like that.

Yuri was born in shoujo magazines and it usually have tragic endings for teaching what happen when a girl cross the line between Class S and lesbianism. While yaoi got a solid niche, yuri never found its audience. Most girls don't like it for obvious reasons and guys want an avalaible waifu. Yuruyuri is the future of yuri Crying or Very sad

Question: have you even read anything from Yuri Hime? From what you write it seems that your knowledge about yuri is quite outdated.

We're not in the '80-'90s anymore, the genre has evolved since then. In YH it's very rare to see a bad end, and the number of stories dealing with a more mature view (i.e. romances between girls/woman who are not in high school anymore, or about lesbians in co-ed schools, like Sasameki Koto) of lesbianism is increasing.
warpshadow

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Caelus wrote:

Question: have you even read anything from Yuri Hime? From what you write it seems that your knowledge about yuri is quite outdated.

We're not in the '80-'90s anymore, the genre has evolved since then. In YH it's very rare to see a bad end, and the number of stories dealing with a more mature view (i.e. romances between girls/woman who are not in high school anymore, or about lesbians in co-ed schools, like Sasameki Koto) of lesbianism is increasing.

The thing is Aoi Hana tanked pretty hard. Thus from an industry standpoint making K on while pushing the idea that the girls might be into each other in that way is more of the direction that anime yuri will probably go.
yuricon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:43 pm Reply with quote
On the one hand, I'm extremely happy for Ichijinsha and the Comic Yuri Hime editors who all know a sellable series when they see one.

On the other, I'm bummed that they keep pushing Yuru Yuri, as I long ago stopped reading it because it was, quite frankly, dull.

I have no doubt that the school-life gags, ambiguous Yuri and moe art will appeal to a larger audience than anything I might like. I can't help but wish it was Morishima Akiko's Renai Joshika or Fujieda Miyabi's Ameiro Kouchakan Kandan.

In the real world, quality stories do not sell - moe slice-of-life things do. This was a good business move, and I'm glad for them for that reason.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Joichiro Nishi wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

I'd just like to remind people, however, it is a sexual orientation and is not a phase. Strict belief in "S" should be taken about as seriously as southern folklore about African Americans. Just because something is a cultural belief, doesn't make it true or right. It's also a reflection of other norms in society, in this case strict indocrtination into heterosexual marriage. I will also note that Japanese society is extremely conservative so it's going to take a while for people to get off the stupid train.

I also agree that some of these comments seem outdated now in the context of current manga and anime. Although, it's obvious waifu otaku are still on the stupid train in regards to yuri.
Cryssoberyl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm neutral so far, not having read the manga. It'll be intriguing to see what happens, at least.

Quote:
Yuri was born in shoujo magazines and it usually have tragic endings for teaching what happen when a girl cross the line between Class S and lesbianism. While yaoi got a solid niche, yuri never found its audience. Most girls don't like it for obvious reasons and guys want an avalaible waifu.

Quite incorrect. As others have pointed out, your information is antiquated; "Class S" is an outdated trope. Yuri is a growing genre commercially, and has a large female following. What is commonly thought of as the "primary" yuri periodical, Yuri Hime, is itself in the female demographic.

Today, more yuri stories about adult women in fulfilling relationships and serious self-aware lesbian characters are being produced than ever before, including ones that specifically address and dismiss the it's-just-a-phase assumption. There are many yuri stories where we see both girls and women standing up and saying "this is what I am, this is how I feel, and nothing will ever change that".

I invite you to read some, they are good for the soul.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:22 pm Reply with quote
While Japanese society is very conservative on topics such as this, I think it's become well known that anime and manga has become an outlet of open-minded expression for those who like to shatter traditional expectations of social behavior. Granted since it is a medium for expression you still get authors who stick to tradition and are happy with a conservative view, with perhaps slight twists to create variation. It all evens out but I think there is an adequate amount of stories out there that break the mold of traditional notions of sexuality. I'd like there to be more as I like my perversions, but I think with the lingering economic troubles, companies are still playing it safe by sticking with solidly mainstream oriented themes and only once and a while venturing out into the bizarre or different.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
While Japanese society is very conservative on topics such as this, I think it's become well known that anime and manga has become an outlet of open-minded expression for those who like to shatter traditional expectations of social behavior. Granted since it is a medium for expression you still get authors who stick to tradition and are happy with a conservative view, with perhaps slight twists to create variation. It all evens out but I think there is an adequate amount of stories out there that break the mold of traditional notions of sexuality. I'd like there to be more as I like my perversions, but I think with the lingering economic troubles, companies are still playing it safe by sticking with solidly mainstream oriented themes and only once and a while venturing out into the bizarre or different.

They should consider outside appeal though. Moe slice of life junk that barely has a plot doesn't sell that well outside of Japan. Maybe some shows have moderate success, but not enough.

Yuri also sells well in the US now. KashiMashi, Strawberry Panic, and Blue Drop all sold well enough during a recession to get dubbed after only getting subbed only releases. I don't know how else you would define success really.
Joichiro Nishi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:42 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
I'd just like to remind people, however, it is a sexual orientation and is not a phase. Strict belief in "S" should be taken about as seriously as southern folklore about African Americans. Just because something is a cultural belief, doesn't make it true or right. It's also a reflection of other norms in society, in this case strict indocrtination into heterosexual marriage. I will also note that Japanese society is extremely conservative so it's going to take a while for people to get off the stupid train.

Of course that "phase" thing is stupid, it was never my intention to aprove this believe. What I tried to say is Japanese fandom has different expectations for the yuri genre than western fandom based in a cultural diference. Frankly I hate Class S, even it ruined Marimite for me. At some point this anime started to become pointless for me because all these girls will move on from their infatuation with their onee-samas and petite souers because they are "pure" girls and "pure" girls marry with men. It sucks what they did to Sei, freaking cowards.

Cryssoberyl wrote:
Quite incorrect. As others have pointed out, your information is antiquated; "Class S" is an outdated trope.

Well, Marimite had four seasons and Maria Holic got a 2nd season. Meanwhile Aoi Hana and Sasameki koto will never get another anime. Class S seems to be very alive.

Quote:
Yuri is a growing genre commercially, and has a large female following. What is commonly thought of as the "primary" yuri periodical, Yuri Hime, is itself in the female demographic.

Yeah, I know. It's way easier for a girl to get into yuri than guys into yaoi, maybe because girls are less homophobic than guys. But there are a lot more yaoi fangirls than yuri fangirls for obvious reasons.

Quote:
Today, more yuri stories about adult women in fulfilling relationships and serious self-aware lesbian characters are being produced than ever before, including ones that specifically address and dismiss the it's-just-a-phase assumption. There are many yuri stories where we see both girls and women standing up and saying "this is what I am, this is how I feel, and nothing will ever change that".

I invite you to read some, they are good for the soul.

Yeah but we are talking about the anime market, not the manga market. None of those mangas will get an anime adaptation because yuri fandom is too niche, while yaoi has a solid fanbase who would buy anything with two guys kissing each other.

Last edited by Joichiro Nishi on Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Of course that "phase" thing is stupid, it was never my intention to aprove this believe. What I tried to say is Japanese fandom has different expectations for the yuri genre than western fandom based in a cultural diference. Frankly I hate Class S, even it ruined Marimite for me. At some point this anime started to become pointless for me because all these girls will move on from their infatuation with their onee-samas and petite souers because they are "pure" girls and "pure" girls marry with men. It sucks what they did to Sei, freaking cowards.

Attitudes on homosexuality tend to change over time with increased access to information. This is what has happened in this country. I realize some women just love their S, or did love it when Marimite was airing, but still I doubt every creator is going to continue to present their yuri in this patricarchal manner in the near future. If we're smart enough to deconstruct this junk, I'm sure there are plenty of people in Japan who have reached the same conclusions. It's just this show in particular may have gotten picked up for reasons that have nothing to do with yuri. But notice how the S mangazine was canceled, and it's now carried in the main magazine.

Quote:
Yeah but we are talking about the anime market, not the manga market. None of those mangas will get an anime adaptation because yuri fandom is too niche, while yaoi has a solid fanbase who would buy anything with two guys kissing each other.

There have been plenty of non-S titles in the past several years. Yes, almost none of them have had second seasons, but that's the case for most anime regardless. The Marimite trope is old and tired. It's going to result in it getting deconstructed more and more. I fail to believe we were are only going to have moe slice of life titles in anime untill the end of time. It's not going to happen. And yuri has certainly made plenty of progress since the mid-90's. It's seeped into plenty of shoujo and shounen anime since then. Maybe we won't get a bunch of sudden Yuri-Hime titles, but I doubt that its growing presense is going to end.

Last edited by jsyxx on Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2