• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Good Smile Sells Hatsune Miku Charity Toy Overseas

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eri94

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:32 pm Reply with quote
While these are pretty cool, I'd probably buy one if they weren't chibi size but were regular size. I just don't like chibi's enough to warrant buying one.
Matriel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:33 pm Reply with quote
This is AWESOME! Seriously, who could resist that face for a good cause?

It would be nice if they would donate a larger percentage, but I guess Good Smile isn't a charitable organization so it's cool that they're even doing this. Thank you, Good Smile!
Kohii

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:05 am Reply with quote
That is a damn good reason to get another nendroid. Since they charge you when the order is placed (and not when the item is shipped, which would be by the end of July), I won't be able to afford it until next week. Sad
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:36 am Reply with quote
Kohii wrote:
That is a damn good reason to get another nendroid. Since they charge you when the order is placed (and not when the item is shipped, which would be by the end of July), I won't be able to afford it until next week. Sad

They're taking orders until 4/21 and these are made to order so if you order one you're definitely getting it. That's why they charge now rather than later, you're basically commissioning GSC to make the figure for you.

I was really gung-ho about getting this, but the more I think about it the less interested I've becoming. These aren't shipping SAL so you're paying almost as much for the shipping as you are the figure. I also don't own any Nendoroids, this would be my first (and possibly only until that Jack Frost Nendo comes out). Now, if this were a figma I wouldn't even have to think twice about that, I've got over 30 of them including two different Miku Hatsune figmas so I'd be all over a third variant.

What I'll probably end up doing is pass on this and just donate another 1000yen worth to the Red Cross directly instead. We'll see what kind of money I have when I get paid the 20th.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:59 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
I was really gung-ho about getting this, but the more I think about it the less interested I've becoming. These aren't shipping SAL so you're paying almost as much for the shipping as you are the figure. I also don't own any Nendoroids, this would be my first (and possibly only until that Jack Frost Nendo comes out). Now, if this were a figma I wouldn't even have to think twice about that, I've got over 30 of them including two different Miku Hatsune figmas so I'd be all over a third variant.

Conversely, I just purchased my first two Nedoroids, and making it a trio is an appealing thought--especially since it's Miku, who seems to be a mandatory component of any Nendoroid collection.

I don't know if I'm willing to pay for EMS though...

Eri94 wrote:
While these are pretty cool, I'd probably buy one if they weren't chibi size but were regular size. I just don't like chibi's enough to warrant buying one.

How do you know it's chibi? The base? Because that price tag is normal for a full size version isn't?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:45 am Reply with quote
It's a lot cuter than some I've recently seen, However I saw a similar Miku driving in her little car, that's the one I want. Wink
Eri94

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:05 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:

How do you know it's chibi? The base? Because that price tag is normal for a full size version isn't?
I don't know if chibi means something different to you than it does me, but my point is I don't want a shrunken looking figure, but a normal proportional sized one.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:22 am Reply with quote
Eri94 wrote:
Big Hed wrote:

I don't know if chibi means something different to you than it does me, but my point is I don't want a shrunken looking figure, but a normal proportional sized one.
One could also call it "super-deformed" as well, but it's still cute.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:29 am Reply with quote
Eri94 wrote:
Big Hed wrote:

Oh, right. I thought you were referring more specifically to mini Nendoroids.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:24 am Reply with quote
Order placed. Once the charge clears, I'll forget all about this order until it arrives on my doorstep.

I'm hoping this opens the door to GSC placing more figures for sale directly to the non-Japanese consumer, even under this pay now, get later plan (which is a guarantee we get one).

If this door opens doors to other manufacturers...
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:00 am Reply with quote
Well, it kinda works for exclusives, but not normal figures I'd rather use another retailer with 20% off and SAL shipping.
Needless to say, I'm not getting this. Much easier to just donate directly as I've already done.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:02 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
I'm hoping this opens the door to GSC placing more figures for sale directly to the non-Japanese consumer, even under this pay now, get later plan (which is a guarantee we get one).

The new store is supposed to be used for their Wonderfest exclusives. For a few years now they've been making those figures available to Japanese buyers under the same "made to order" format (which is how I've been able to get the last four figma exclusive easily via proxy). They had said at the last Wonderfest that they'll be working towards making their exclusives available online to people outside of Japan, this is their first step towards that. Typically they do one figma and one Nandoroid among other things too. Last time they did one figma, two Nendos, and a Petit Nendo 2-pack so it's something to keep an eye on come the next Wonderfest in the Summer.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:17 am Reply with quote
Now that would be awesome to get but im a little short on cash now
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I could. That face looks like a bad stereotype, if it wasn't made in Asia, I could see it being decried as racist. Just another reason why I'm not a chibi/sd figure fan. Also, the lack of SAL is rather brutal; the party getting the most out of this whole transaction is the shipper.

1/8th+ scale or go home--she's even holding an eighth note. It's a sign. Wink
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Quote:

I could. That face looks like a bad stereotype, if it wasn't made in Asia, I could see it being decried as racist.

How does a big, goofy smile with her eyes closed look like a bad stereotype? It's not like she's squinting through thick glasses and buck teeth. Confused

Emerje
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2