• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Expo: 47,000+ Unique Attendees Came This Year

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Future locations? How about San Diego and their convention center? (Ask SDCC what they think of the place)

Or move a little east and go to Las Vegas. They have a roomy convention center, and lots of lots of hotel space...
bleuster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:57 pm Reply with quote
The unique is about a thousand more, but the turnstile count jumped from 105,000, I think.
Would that be because of the convention opening up for attendees that go into the exhibit hall for free after a certain time or those single event tickets or something? I was actually at the convention, so I didn't keep up with that whole deal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully they don't move it from the west coast. The west coast already has few big cons as is.

To be honest though, I think LA is really the biggest hub you'll get in the nation for anime.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:59 pm Reply with quote
When they initially moved to LA, I was greatly opposed to it, but then I actually attended last year and I honestly didn't mind it. Granted, it seemed a bit more spendy than when it was in Anaheim (and I've blocked Long Beach out of my memory) but I always give myself a large budget when attending AX since I live on the east coast and only attend every other year or so, so that's not so much an issue to me. I'm glad to see the AX spite con didn't really impact attendance. As long as they keep bringing guests I wanna see, then I'll keep considering going.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Where AX is going to be in the future depends on whether or not Los Angeles is able to get a NFL team there. If I remember correctly, where the Convention Center is now, is where they want to build the stadium.

While I've been to AX at Anhiem, Disneyland, and Long Beach, I have yet to attend AX LA. But when I did go, I always enjoyed myself, so it's nice to see that the turnout keeps increasing every year.
Onikuno

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Orlando would be perfect. We have PLENTY of convention space at the OCCC on I Drive and there's a ton of hotels as well.
Vapors

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:41 am Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
Future locations? How about San Diego and their convention center? (Ask SDCC what they think of the place)

Or move a little east and go to Las Vegas. They have a roomy convention center, and lots of lots of hotel space...

San Diego could work. Checking their website's schedule, there are no conventions scheduled during the Fourth of July Weekend, so they could have a full run of the place if they wanted with room to grow. However, since I go to SD for Comic Con, I feel going back twice within a span of a month could be overkill for me. Also, during Comic Con, I've heard hotel prices seem to be pretty high, so I'm not sure many people could afford to stay there if they do come.

And Vegas sounds dicey to me. Hot weather plus everyone would have to get a room. I met some people who would only go for a day and then leave. This wouldn't be possible in LV. Also, is Vegas the best place to have a ton of young people (college and below) running around?
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:49 am Reply with quote
Onikuno wrote:
Orlando would be perfect. We have PLENTY of convention space at the OCCC on I Drive and there's a ton of hotels as well.

Oh hell yeah! I would soooooo go to AX in Orlando!!! Cool
Sticks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:32 am Reply with quote
Im already use to Los Angeles or Anaheim... I would hope it stays in the area... but not Long Beach, that felt like a disaster....
becharm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:49 am Reply with quote
IF you have attended AX 2010, you will understand what I am talking about. Compared to last year, AX 2011 (20th Anniversary) felt short to its expectation. The list of guest is short, not enough events and panels. The only big event is Miku's concert and she doesnt even belong to the Expo. She is part of Toyota and AX has to do thing according to Toyota. For example, her concert's list of attended was limited by Toyota and AX can't do anything about it. Other guests have to performed at the Club Nokia - NOT the theater.

AX Idols was heavily sponsored by Viz Media. It raised the question, what have AX done with all the money for attendants?

I dont believe I said this but, last year was a better con is mainly because of the last CEO - at least he knows how to run it like a pro. I really hope next year would be much better.
Nermal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:55 am Reply with quote
Yeah it felt pretty crowded, as usual.

I like it in LA; there are a lot of places to eat/drink nearby and I haven't had a problem with parking lots filling up yet. Plus I like the Nokia Theater for main events. And I live in SoCal so for me it's local and I don't have to spend money on a hotel room. Anaheim was good too especially with the hotels being so close. I think we can all agree that LBCC was just terrible. The most enjoyable memory of that con was the wine/crepe cafe on Ocean, and that's not even there anymore.

I liked San Diego when I went for Comic-Con a few years back, but the parking structure/lots did fill up and I had to park pretty far. If AX moves out of state, I'm not sure if I would attend anymore...I'm not usually budgeting for plane fare and hotel anymore.
KN_guro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:24 am Reply with quote
Go to Las Vegas or Honolulu. Those are the two places I live.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:00 am Reply with quote
becharm wrote:
IF you have attended AX 2010, you will understand what I am talking about. Compared to last year, AX 2011 (20th Anniversary) felt short to its expectation. The list of guest is short, not enough events and panels. The only big event is Miku's concert and she doesnt even belong to the Expo. She is part of Toyota and AX has to do thing according to Toyota. For example, her concert's list of attended was limited by Toyota and AX can't do anything about it. Other guests have to performed at the Club Nokia - NOT the theater.

AX Idols was heavily sponsored by Viz Media. It raised the question, what have AX done with all the money for attendants?

I don't believe I said this but, last year was a better con is mainly because of the last CEO - at least he knows how to run it like a pro. I really hope next year would be much better.
What

are you talking about, attendance went up! 128,000 compared to 107,000.

Anyway, if LA gets another NFL team, I think a move back to either Anahiem, Santa Monica or a move San Fernando Valley would be cool. If things continue to go well, stay in L.A. its the biggest city in America and has over 10 million people.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:40 am Reply with quote
becharm wrote:
The only big event is Miku's concert and she doesnt even belong to the Expo. She is part of Toyota and AX has to do thing according to Toyota. For example, her concert's list of attended was limited by Toyota and AX can't do anything about it. Other guests have to performed at the Club Nokia - NOT the theater.

Umn... do you actually have a source for all this Miku/Toyata stuff? Considering it kind of contradicts everything that's been reported about the deal before, I kind of doubt it
lilredphoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I hope Ax stays in Los Angeles as several others have commented whether you live there locally or fly in to stay the weekend the surrounding area has many places to eat, drink and park, everything is pretty much centrally located and relatively safe to walk around even at night. Every year the attendance record rises higher and higher showing that there are many people out there who will make effort to attend this very popular convention.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2