• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Redline to Play at Toronto After Dark Film Festival

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:15 am Reply with quote
This movie has been on every page of every site I know lately. I should probably watch it at some point... I just don't feel like importing a movie when it is very likely it will be coming over eventually.
Hospodar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:47 am Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
This movie has been on every page of every site I know lately. I should probably watch it at some point... I just don't feel like importing a movie when it is very likely it will be coming over eventually.

Well the movie has flopped in Japan. It is a very good movie but it didn't connect with the Japanese viewers.
I don’t know on which criteria they license movies but I guess there is a slight possibility they won’t bring it over.
MrJackle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:17 am Reply with quote
Hospodar wrote:
EnigmaticSky wrote:

Well the movie has flopped in Japan. It is a very good movie but it didn't connect with the Japanese viewers.
I don’t know on which criteria they license movies but I guess there is a slight possibility they won’t bring it over.

The movie has been licensed, so yes, it's being released outside of Japan. The U.K. DVD/BR is scheduled for November 14 while in North America, it's targeted for early 2012.
Ewing46

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:54 am Reply with quote
I think I also read somewhere that Anchor Bay will be announcing more info regarding the U.S. release date in 2012 at NYCC this October, so we'll hopefully get a more concrete date around then.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Sweet! I've been looking forward to this and I'm jazzed I can see it on the big screen - although, the Toronto Underground Cinema is far from my favourite venue. Confused
Vracer111

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:42 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:

I will say that the Collectors Edition Blu-Ray of Redline is a very nice set... and the movie itself is the best Blu-Ray experience there is for anime. I very much love it (it is my current favorite anime movie, and I have watched it 6 times all the way through since recently getting it last month). Definite must watch anime film and if it's coming to a theater near you would be worth it.
maxxjulie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:18 pm Reply with quote
it's definitely something americans would like more than japanese. i've watched it three times myself in the past month.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:55 am Reply with quote
Hospodar wrote:
EnigmaticSky wrote:

Sometimes, I feel that the Japanese are not as open to the potential of the medium of animation as we may think............ Confused
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:18 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Sometimes, I feel that the Japanese are not as open to the potential of the medium of animation as we may think............ Confused

I don't see how a random movie flopping would indicate that. I think it's more likely Redline just really doesn't have much going for it. It's pretty style over substance to be honest.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:28 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

I don't see how a random movie flopping would indicate that. I think it's more likely Redline just really doesn't have much going for it. It's pretty style over substance to be honest.

It feels like Akira Kurosawa again, like they're a bit close-minded in some stuff quite different from the usual stuffs they make. They initially didn't appreciate Kurosawa's works too; it wasn't until after Kurosawa became acclaimed in the West that they turned around. Now, Redline has won a few awards in the West, like recently the Audience Award for Best Animated Film at the Fantasia Festival in Montreal.

Nevertheless, Japanese animators should not be discouraged and should continue making a variety of works. The Japanese public would eventually turn around too, as they've done before.
Vracer111

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:39 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Yes, Redline was made to be a fun movie as Takeshi Koike and Katsuhito Ishii explain what their goal for the movie was in the extras of the Collectors Edition. But it has more substance than a lot of people realize... you can pick up on the little things with multiple viewings to giving you the full picture of how much detail was actually thought out in the story. It might be a simple story - but it has more thought and detail put into the story than what it seems at first.
naninanino

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Redline, if you ask me, was just an extended version of Tailenders. A nice audiovisual experience, but not much else.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Oh sweet! I'll make myself available to see this!

Sadly I'll be missing out ont he two anime films at the Toronto Film Festival, but I'm definately gonna check this out! I needed this film on blu-ray since I first saw that initial trailer! It's like a more badass Speed Racer!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1