• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation, Niconico to Jointly License Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I do wonder how exactly the Funico licenses will differ from the regular FUNimation licenses. If Niconico wants to license a title that FUNi doesn't feel is worth dubbing, would that result in FUNi stopping the license from happening, or would that mean that FUNi would be willing to let Funico licenses get sub-only releases?
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Hell yea! This sounds awesome, but if I'm reading this right:
Quote:
Going forward, Niconico will stream Funico-licensed titles, and Funimation will release Funico-licensed titles on home video.

This is even more awesome because then Boku Tomodachi, Mirai Nikki and Shana 3 are getting home video releases, and that's even more awesome.

I need to hurry up and find an alternative to Hughes Net.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:50 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Hell yea! This sounds awesome, but if I'm reading this right:
Quote:
Going forward, Niconico will stream Funico-licensed titles, and Funimation will release Funico-licensed titles on home video.

This is even more awesome because then Boku Tomodachi, Mirai Nikki and Shana 3 are getting home video releases, and that's even more awesome.

I need to hurry up and find an alternative to Hughes Net.
I'd believe it but we've yet to see Shana II dvds even though they licensed it years ago.

On a happier note: FREE HD? Eat that Crappyroll
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I'd believe it but we've yet to see Shana II dvds even though they licensed it years ago.

Shana II is part of the geneon deal, which is still being holed up by the Geneon-Universal merger in Japan, which is in turn keeping FUNi from getting the materials they need to release all those titles (includes Black Lagoon, Railgun, Index, etc). Once it's all settled, they'll start getting those materials in.

I'm definitely excited about this deal. Can't wait to see what the future holds! Very Happy
Rukiia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Does that mean we are getting things like Blood-c for home releases?!

If yes, this announcement is seriously awesome.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FaytLein

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
Does that mean we are getting things like Blood-c for home releases?!

If yes, this announcement is seriously awesome.

Blood C is CLAMP. Of COURSE it was going to be licensed!

But all in all, that is super awesome news, it looks like Funi is taking strides to shore up brand new shows super quick. Competition with CR mebbe?
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

HD, sure, but will we have free full screen? And how many ads are we going to have to sit through? And how long does the free viewing last, one week like the current setup? Nico's current methods suck, I'm not so optimistic to think they'll suddenly change for the better. If they aren't going to give us the most basic services (unlimited free play, full screen) then I'd rather FUNi stuck with Hulu. They should have made this deal with Crunchyroll instead.

Emerje
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:21 pm Reply with quote
One of the major problems that this doesn't address is that anime fans are taught to reject streaming for fansubs, that's why even major series can only get 10,000-20,000 views while fansubs get millions.
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Funico-licensed titles will be available through download-to-own options such as those that Funimation use for its current titles

Quote:
Funimation Discontinues Download-to-Own Service

I must be misinterpreting something here
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

HD, sure, but will we have free full screen? And how many ads are we going to have to sit through? And how long does the free viewing last, one week like the current setup? Nico's current methods suck, I'm not so optimistic to think they'll suddenly change for the better. If they aren't going to give us the most basic services (unlimited free play, full screen) then I'd rather FUNi stuck with Hulu. They should have made this deal with Crunchyroll instead.

Emerje

I'm guessing you missed the part in the article where it said Funico was planning on licensing titles for more than just the US market? No matter if Funico have worldwide streaming rights to something, putting it on Hulu makes it 100% geoblocked to everyone outside of the US (and that includes blocking Canada - a country included in R1 rights deals).

Charred Knight wrote:
One of the major problems that this doesn't address is that anime fans are taught to reject streaming for fansubs, that's why even major series can only get 10,000-20,000 views while fansubs get millions.

Streams have borders via geoblocking. Fansubs don't.

Last edited by Primus on Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:40 pm Reply with quote
In other words, Funimation is having more trouble licensing shows since being cast off from Navarre and it's deeper corporate pockets...lol I kid. I kid.

But seriously, I don't care much for streaming and Funi licenses very little I'm interested in, so I doubt this will mean much for me.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Emerje wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

Emerje

I'm guessing you missed the part in the article where it said Funico was planning on licensing titles for more than just the US market? No matter if Funico have worldwide streaming rights to something, putting it on Hulu makes it 100% geoblocked to everyone outside of the US (and that includes blocking Canada - a country included in R1 rights deals).

Don't forget that this doesn't necessarily mean that FuniCo won't be offering titles on other streaming sites. Something may premier on Nico, and then pop up on Hulu or other sites later. I don't think they're stupid enough to limit themselves to just one streaming site that is fairly underutilized in R1. Nico may handle streams outside the US, while Funimation could offer a show on Hulu inside the US.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:43 pm Reply with quote
@Sorraffy, that bit struck me as odd, as well.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:50 pm Reply with quote
My first thought:
This can't be good for Crunchryoll

My second thought:
This might go a long way to explaining Crunchyroll's apparent new relationship with Sentai.

The King of Harts wrote:

I note that of those 3 titles, NicoNico.com's Fall 2011 lineup lists only Mirai Nikki:
http://www.niconico.com/anime

The other two are listed below, "The simulcast titles launching this partnership include the following:"in the press release, however, so I expect they will appear there in the future.

Emerje wrote:

The "no true full screen" problem is rather easy to get around, although I would rather not detail it in an open forum for fear widespread knowledge might lead to that loophole being closed, given that it has other uses.

At the current time, there are no ads. I can't see this going on forever (except for premium memberships), but I say enjoy it while it lasts. If they insert ads at some time in the future, I doubt they would be any worse than Hulu.

The one week period for free members looks to remain. I don't see that as much of an impediment, since so many people are hot on watching simulcasts ASAP. It also remains to be seen whether all the series available on NicoNico.com will also be available on Funimation's own site.

If you really prefer 480p and the ads at Hulu (in exchange for being able to stream in true full screen), they are apparently still posting to Hulu, as I noticed Guilty Crown is now listed there.

Last edited by TheAncientOne on Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scr1be

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

Emerje

Not to mention that Nico's video player sucks, last season I could only watch Blood-C and UtaPri. All the other shows would constantly freeze up on me. I agree, FUNi should've done this with CR instead. CR has a better video player and a larger installed user base.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4