• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Master Ninja Theme Song

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biliano

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:19 am Reply with quote
Hey, Bamboo: Another great column! I love the new headers. Very Happy

Spiral: I'm glad that you're giving this series the recognition it deserves. My anime club started watching Spiral last week and it's a thrilling and smart series, way better than Detective Conan, which I thought was boring. I think that it's pretty interesting that all of the Blade Children spoiler[have a missing rib in their bodies]. I love watching series that make you think. However, I wouldn't recommend watching the Outtakes extra in Vol. 2; I thought it was pointless.

Stellvia: Just like Azumanga Daioh (another Tatsuo Sato-directed series), Stellvia needs an acquired taste for some people. I like how he is developing both the budding friendship between Shipon and Rinna (the transfer from Ultima) and the strength of Shipon's character from nervous and unsure of herself to more of confidence and self-respect. A couple of users got me interested in this series, and I'm glad that they did because this is a great series. Stick with it, Bamboo, and watch spoiler[the romantic relationship between Shipon and Kouta in the second half of the series.]

Sister Princess: You mean to tell me that the Mamoru/Wataru storyline spoiler[(where Mamoru teaches Wataru how to swim, thus developing their relationship a little closer)] and Shirayuki's cuteness factor weren't enough to warrant even a rental? Wink

Ha! Just playing with ya, Bamboo! Laughing I kind of expected that SisPri would not advance to the next stage. They're like the Oakland University of the anime world. But like I said in the last Shelf Life, I like to watch cute girls make idiots of themselves as much as I like to watch the more intelligent and comprehensive anime titles that are out in the market. For every Spiral and Evangelion, there's a Nurch Witch Komugi and Sister Princess that I will enjoy. It's both ends of the spectrum, baby! Smile

Keep up this great column, Bamboo! It's my favorite column on the Internet. Cool

Last edited by biliano on Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Rion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:17 am Reply with quote
Wow.....heh...
I don't know how new those headline pictures are but i like them lol...

I really need to give sprial a try....it looks like a series that has a lot of potential...

But GITS 2 made rental?....i never thought i would see that..
I thought it head some really good themes.....
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:23 am Reply with quote
It would be so awesome if all of Evangelion Platinum made it to the Shelf Worthy category. I honestly can't remember the last time a series of good length had all of its discs in Shelf Worthy.

On a related topic, I know that Manga Entertainment holds the rights to the Evangelion movies Death & Rebirth and The End of Evangelion. However, the Japanese "Renewal of Evangelion" set that the English "Platinum Edition" is based on included remastered versions of those two movies in addition to the TV series. Is there any chance that manga will re-release Death & Rebirth and The End of Evangelion as remastered editions, especially in wake of their re-release of the remastered Ghost in the Shell?
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:49 am Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:

On a related topic, I know that Manga Entertainment holds the rights to the Evangelion movies Death & Rebirth and The End of Evangelion. However, the Japanese "Renewal of Evangelion" set that the English "Platinum Edition" is based on included remastered versions of those two movies in addition to the TV series. Is there any chance that manga will re-release Death & Rebirth and The End of Evangelion as remastered editions, especially in wake of their re-release of the remastered Ghost in the Shell?

=/ Honestly, I doubt it. They haven't made any noise about wanting to do so, and I'm not even sure they procured the remastered movies. I'd absolutely love it if they did though, as that would really complete my collection. Heh, maybe if we're lucky, they'll float out a remastered version in 5-10 years. ;p

biliano wrote:
Keep up this great column, Bamboo! It's my favorite column on the Internet. Cool

Very Happy Awww thanks! That really makes me feel good. And no, I didn't find any part of SisPri charming, even the scenes in which you speak of. (Though I have to admit, I'm more willing to watch a "bad" anime than a good one, either out of morbid curiosity, or the desire to see pure, mind-rotting fluff. Anime smallmouth)
The Spatula

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:59 pm Reply with quote
First off, I always enjoy reading your column, but I had a couple of minor comments to make on a few things you said:

Quote:
Though one has to wonder, how can these people shoot paper out of their wrists, Spiderman style, when there’s no place to put the paper? Lies.

I always assumed that this was because they wear black spandex body suits with an outer layer of paper that looks like normal clothes; when they shoot paper out of their arms, they're simply shooting their clothes.

Quote:
There’s always someone who has to save the universe from being annihilated by natural disasters

spoiler[I typically don't consider alien races or people from earth to be natural disasters. I suppose if you consider aliens and humans to be "a part of nature", then that's okay, but then the term "natural disaster" wouldn't be necessary.]

Sorry for being nitpicky, but I'm not sure if you made a mistake or if you were just joking around. If you were just joking around, then I apologize in advance.
biliano

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:43 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Very Happy Awww thanks! That really makes me feel good. And no, I didn't find any part of SisPri charming, even the scenes in which you speak of. (Though I have to admit, I'm more willing to watch a "bad" anime than a good one, either out of morbid curiosity, or the desire to see pure, mind-rotting fluff. Anime smallmouth)

You're welcome Very Happy , and I'm OK with the SisPri review.

To Rion: Definitely give Spiral a try. Wink
El Oso

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Escalating into a kidnapping case with an anticlimactic ending, you realize during the credits that you just spent 99 minutes of your life watching a film that accomplished nothing.

I agree. It's a damn shame too since I loved the animation and music. It left me with a similar feeling that I had after watching Kai Doh Maru.

And no mention of Innocence's horrible DVD cover art? I mean c'mon, that's enough reason to put it on the rental shelf right there! Laughing
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Great article, SakechanBD. Smile

If you liked R.O.D. The TV Volume 4, you are really going to enjoy Volume 5 even more. Very Happy
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:49 pm Reply with quote
The Spatula wrote:

Quote:
Though one has to wonder, how can these people shoot paper out of their wrists, Spiderman style, when there’s no place to put the paper? Lies.

I always assumed that this was because they wear black spandex body suits with an outer layer of paper that looks like normal clothes; when they shoot paper out of their arms, they're simply shooting their clothes.

See, I thought so too, but their clothes don't go anywhere. And, there's scenes where the paper is shooting straight from their palsm, when they're wearing short sleeved clothes. And we're also talking a huge amount of paper. I know that at least the littlest girl has a paper holder around her leg, but I'm not sure how the other girls do it.

Quote:

Quote:
There’s always someone who has to save the universe from being annihilated by natural disasters

spoiler[I typically don't consider alien races or people from earth to be natural disasters. I suppose if you consider aliens and humans to be "a part of nature", then that's okay, but then the term "natural disaster" wouldn't be necessary.]

Aliens and humans are a part of nature. Anime smile I'd certainly consider an alien invasion a disaster, too. I used the wording that I did primarily as a nod towards Stellvia, but you're right about it being a bit off.
Ataru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Just one small comment, I wish Rhino will release the Master Ninja 1 and 2 in the next MST 3K box set. But the "Prince of Space" and Hercles movies on the upcoming Box Set 7 will keep me laughing. Other then that, another outstanding column.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Strategos

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:27 pm Reply with quote
The article is well written, but I don't agree with the Twelve Kingdoms only being a rental. Is it just me, or is this the best series that nobody knows about? I am so incredibly captivated by the entire world and the characters within it. This is without a doubt one of my favorite series ever, top 5 easy.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Strategos wrote:
The article is well written, but I don't agree with the Twelve Kingdoms only being a rental. Is it just me, or is this the best series that nobody knows about? I am so incredibly captivated by the entire world and the characters within it. This is without a doubt one of my favorite series ever, top 5 easy.

:) I agree, it's a great and very overlooked series. But I've only gotten to the 3rd or 4th volume, so I can't complain with the review just yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Anrui Ukimi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:17 am Reply with quote
Juuni Kokki is easily in the top five of my all-time favorites as well....I cosplayed Taiki in a JK group at AX last year, and only 2 people recognized us. Sad

We all need to get out the word on this wonderful series!

~Anrui
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:04 am Reply with quote
I actually liked Kekko Kamen, but will admit it gets old after repeated viewing. I'm hoping the manga gets released here, or that ADV co-produces more episodes one day...
Rion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:14 am Reply with quote
biliano wrote:

To Rion: Definitely give Spiral a try. Wink

I will! Thanks! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3