• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Interstellar Assault

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:27 am Reply with quote
looks like he's trying too hard to be FFXII's bland wannabe final boss. That's just sad, though I should expect nothing less of a talentless hack like Toriyama
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:29 am Reply with quote
Otomedius Excellent

The first image alone, with that horrendous background image in the game, was enough for me to give it a pass.

It's a sad day in gaming when games like this are made. The creator(s) should be so very ashamed to use "moe" to sell this crap, though they'll be the one's laughing to the bank.

This is beyond atrocious. If anything, it's an insult to the Gradius franchise (which I don't believe has any faults).

What a shame. It would have been nice to get a reasonable shooter. Well, back to Ikaruga, I suppose.
Konopan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:30 am Reply with quote
Woah! They finally got Kuja to wear pants!

Oh, wait. Ne'ermind.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:33 am Reply with quote
Otomedius Excellent reminds me a lot like R-Type Delta. I would love to see an updated version of Axelay. The music alone was worth me looking up a copy on eBay and purchasing it.

I've long since given up on FF and Square. The only game I'm looking into is that FF Rhythm game.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:47 pm Reply with quote
FFXIII-2: Well at least it's clear he's the main antagonist and he'll actually oppose you every step of the way. Barthandelus was just a lame sod.

Neptunia mk2: I don't think I can honestly play either of the Hyperdimension games. There are some RPGs even I won't touch.

UDON: They're delving into Persona now, interesting.

Otomedius Excellent: I'm not sure why you'd waste a perfectly good review column on this. It's just more moe garbage tacked on a shooter. Boring. Maybe you could have reviewed the new Voltron download from PSN.

Fortune Street: A shame it couldn't have been something more interesting like a crossover RPG, but it might be fun for Monopoly types.

Mario Kart 7: No doubt this'll be the new height of forum folks' topics once they get it.
Taiyz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:56 pm Reply with quote
You were quite right in your final sentence about Otomedius Excellent, Todd. As a fan of shoot-'em-ups, importing all the region free 360 titles and so on, this title felt very dated to me.

I appreciate that there's a lot of options, but like you mentioned a couple times, it is so hard to make a comeback once you lose your equipment.

I also have to gripe that some of the bosses' physical attacks are way too ambiguous on the first few playthrougsh. I know that shoot-'em-ups are all about replayability, perfecting and memorizing each boss' patterns after you've failed a couple times, but normally you can at least react to what happens. With the slow default movement speeds, it's not hard to get wrecked multiple times because the boss charges at you or leaps unreasonably fast, and you're not already in that sweet spot to survive it. The screen also feels very cramped while fighting some of them.

But maybe I'm just one of those players who would rather have the screen filled with bullets rather than the boss itself. (Though Ikaruga can get away with it because those boss models are works of art.)

Anyway, in regards to FFXIII-2, I'm doing a bit of an experiment. This is mainly because I'm a shameless Assassin's Creed nerd and they just announced that Ezio's outfit in Revelations will be a DLC costume for Noel, but this is going to be the first Final Fantasy game that I've played since the original Playstation (not including X-2 which I only played a demo of...Admittedly not a good game to sample.)

I'm particularly interested in seeing if they've written the story to at all compensate for possible newcomers (I have no interest in playing through the original FF13.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mune

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:36 pm Reply with quote
As I recall, having a human-like or human antagonist is normal for Final Fantasies. So hearing the news about FFXIII-2 wasn't that odd. As for his intervention, it is a lot like previous antagonists, even if some were indirect interventions(like FFVIII's- Ultamecia). We'll see how it plays out.

Mario Kart got a number?!
sfried

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Mario Kart VII spoiler: Bowser kills Peach in Lap 3 of the Fireflower Cup!
Wooga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:59 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
looks like he's trying too hard to be FFXII's bland wannabe final boss. That's just sad, though I should expect nothing less of a talentless hack like Toriyama

Do..do you mean Nomura?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:09 am Reply with quote
sfried wrote:
Mario Kart VII spoiler: Bowser kills Peach in Lap 3 of the Fireflower Cup!

Ha! Everybody knows that'll never happen. Where do you think the Koopalings came from? Laughing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAvrPZRuKrU
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:23 am Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:

Do..do you mean Nomura?

I imagine not, given Nomura is a character designer, where as Toriyama is the writer of these games ...
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:24 am Reply with quote
As someone who has an impossible time caring about shooters that don't have online high score boards, I have to say Otomedius is a significantly better game than you'd be lead to believe if all you paid attention to was the fact that there is literally not one positive review of it on the internet. Then again, I also like Hitogata Happa, so I guess I'm just playing the genre wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I can see that it's far from perfect, but well, the only other horizontal shooters I've played with high score boards are the DeathSmiles games, and it seems kind of unfair to compare it to them.
Taiyz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:44 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Wooga wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:

Do..do you mean Nomura?

I imagine not, given Nomura is a character designer, where as Toriyama is the writer of these games ...
I assume Wooga isn't familiar with Motomu Toriyama and thought of Akira Toriyama instead.

An easy mistake to make, especially with the latter being involved in one of Square's other blockbuster franchises.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
skullocrasher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:19 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Wooga wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:

Do..do you mean Nomura?

Still, since he seemed to be basing his opinion on the characters appearance rather than anything related to the context of the story, the character designer would seem a more appropriate place for blame.

BTW, pretty sure Toriyama is a director, rather than a writer.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Mune wrote:
Mario Kart got a number?!

It's based on the new item, the Lucky 7, which allows you to use seven items all at once. The name DOES seem pretty plain though, even after knowing about how they integrated the number into the game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2