• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manyū Hiken-chō Manga's Last Volume Published

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:49 pm Reply with quote
nothing of value was lost.. really i mean it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure an R1 company will license the anime this year.

Had a feeling this would be the last manga volume. A while back the author wrote on his blog about a "last" volume, but with awkward internet translators it could've meant most recent; nice to know for sure now.

Hope Hoods makes a season 2. I really liked the anime! Twisted Evil
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:49 pm Reply with quote
FrameFreeze100 wrote:
I'm pretty sure an R1 company will license the anime this year.

I dunno.
Much better fanservice anime out there waiting to be licensed;
- Princess Lover
- Ladies vs Butlers
- Seikon no Qwaser
etc...

This was really poor when compared to series like those.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I'd be shocked if it was licensed. These companies look at the number of people who watch the shows on sites like MAL, and Manyuu has one of the lowest viewerships of any TV anime in 2011.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:19 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I'd be shocked if it was licensed. These companies look at the number of people who watch the shows on sites like MAL, and Manyuu has one of the lowest viewerships of any TV anime in 2011.

Everyone was just waiting for the BD's anyways. The show was so censored it was unwatchable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Everyone was just waiting for the BD's anyways. The show was so censored it was unwatchable.

What? It was completely uncensored on webcast, and mainly uncensored (outside of groping) on ATX a week later.

The original airing did suck though, but it was fine if you waited a week or two.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:52 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

What? It was completely uncensored on webcast, and mainly uncensored (outside of groping) on ATX a week later.

I say the ATX version which was still too censored for my taste. I was not aware of the webcast being uncensored. I just stalled it until the BD rips come out so I can see it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:35 am Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

The BD sales were also very poor for a show of this nature.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:16 am Reply with quote
well give really this cult anime really doobi rule everything & please don't mention whole rapid spining hypno doobi move.

ugh yet really if go s2 all we need is license & dub cause who made manyuu must been like this http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/4852/1326062343934.jpg
jacksonh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

The BD sales were also very poor for a show of this nature.

Wouldn't that just make it more appealing? If it sold poorly then the license is probably cheaper right?

As for why it sold poorly, maybe the uncensored Director's cut webcast deters sales?

As for viewership & scores on sites like MAL I'd be surprise if companies actually made decisions based on that data.

Popularity doesn't always equal strong sales.

Either they think it'll sell well or they don't.

Hajime no Ippo is very popular @ MAL (almost 20,000 scores) and is a great series, but you're probably never going to see a license rescue (sold terribly for Geneon) or see New Challenger (12,000 scores @ MAL) licensed for North America.

Meanwhile a show like Master of Martial Hearts only has a little more than 2,000 scores @ MAL yet apparently it sold well for Funimation since it now has "Anime Classic" status....
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Low sales won't make it more appealing.
Uncensored broadcasts don't deter sales, at least that has not been the case for other like products. There was something wrong with Manyuu that caused it to sell in the low thousands each volume.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:08 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Low sales won't make it more appealing.
Uncensored broadcasts don't deter sales, at least that has not been the case for other like products. There was something wrong with Manyuu that caused it to sell in the low thousands each volume.

I don't think there's "anything wrong" per se with its low sales because that is more or less the norm. Anime across the spectrum regularly suffer from poor to mediocre-at best sales. A lot of what Funi licenses are also bad sellers in Japan. People can't afford to buy all the anime, even those they enjoy. At those prices, they'll only buy the cream of the crop. In fact, despite only a couple thousand owners, I absolutely bet Manyuu had at least an order of magnitude more viewers (DVR, TV, web rips). Having to decide between Manyuu and many other shows, most of those decided to spend their $500 on something else. Heck, maybe they just bought a Manyuu figure instead, much cheaper with assets you can 'touch'
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1