• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Durarara's Japanese BDs to Include English Dub/Sub

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zilan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:25 am Reply with quote
The DVD release is pretty damn good quality. I might pick this up if Aniplex USA releases it over here at a reasonable price.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:45 am Reply with quote
Zilan wrote:
The DVD release is pretty damn good quality. I might pick this up if Aniplex USA releases it over here at a reasonable price.

Perhaps prepare for the "Import" tag...
Animerican14

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:10 am Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Zilan wrote:

Hah! That's what I was just thinking coming into this thread! Just like how they're doing Fate/Zero, eh?

Eh... and I have a feeling that it would be a bit more expensive than the Fate/Zero import, taking into account that, though it's older than F/Z, it has more episodes than F/Z at the moment. Now, if I remember hearing correctly somewhere-- was it an ANNCast?-- those dvd box sets didn't do so hot on the market for Aniplex USA, did they? Wonder how much that'll factor into an American release here, even if it just means importing directly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:23 am Reply with quote
Well, I didn't see THAT one coming! Turns out voice actors like Steven Blum, Crispin Freeman, and Jonny Yong Bosch have just as many fans over there as they do here?
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:36 am Reply with quote
Does anyone else see a cow, because I see a release that is going to be MILKED! like no one's busy. meanwhile they could have released a decently priced version of the dvds/blurays and capture all the fans of the series that just saw it on AS!
superdry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:51 am Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Zilan wrote:

Or...Aniplex USA can do what they did with the Baccano BD set - cheaper stripped down set instead of doing a direct import.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:10 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
meanwhile they could have released a decently priced version of the dvds/blurays and capture all the fans of the series that just saw it on AS!

As one of those fans, for the love of God, yes. The three current sets aren't nearly so insane as the Japanese pricing scheme Aniplex generally foists upon us, but they're still substantially more than a release of that length typically goes for, and more akin to the pricing scheme of five years ago than anything else.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:43 am Reply with quote
Hmm, interesting. There definitely seems to be a growing trend for Japanese releases to include English subs (and other languages for that matter) and perhaps dubs will start to become more common as well. While I applaud their attempts to widen their customer base, the reality is that Japanese pricing will always severely limit their appeal among the non-Japanese market.

There, I think I have satisfied my daily quota of ultra-obvious statements.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:52 am Reply with quote
Boom!
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:00 am Reply with quote
But the drama CDs. They can't subtitle them, and I've never heard of anyone, anywhere, producing English-language drama CDs. So this release will still be far less attractive to English-speakers than to Japanese-speakers.

I suppose the plan is to re-use the BDs for a North American release without all of the Japanese-language-only swag.
lem

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:12 am Reply with quote
With the drama cds included, a color booklet, everything on blu and all of it in one box, this sounds like it's going to be in the 20,000 to 30,000 y price range (260 to almost 400$). If it had a stronger 2nd half, I might be tempted to get the blu, but as it is, I'm more than satisfied with the 3 sets on dvd.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:15 am Reply with quote
lem wrote:
If it had a stronger 2nd half, I might be tempted to get the blu...
If it had a stronger 1st half, I might've been compelled to watch more than 4 episodes. Laughing

Can't say I'm surprised at all that the BD will have the dub and subs, though; they did the same thing with Baccano!, so this is pretty much what I expected.
ResistNormal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:56 am Reply with quote
I felt the DVDs had a decent price point but that varies from person to person. The initial release of Code Geass had translated drama CD's but the chance of that happening again is probably low.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:26 am Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
Asrialys wrote:
Zilan wrote:

Or...Aniplex USA can do what they did with the Baccano BD set - cheaper stripped down set instead of doing a direct import.

This is what I'm hoping for because, while I really enjoyed Durarara!!, I am not going to double-dip for ultra-premium or import prices.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:16 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Hmm, interesting. There definitely seems to be a growing trend for Japanese releases to include English subs (and other languages for that matter) and perhaps dubs will start to become more common as well. While I applaud their attempts to widen their customer base, the reality is that Japanese pricing will always severely limit their appeal among the non-Japanese market.

I think this just has to do with the fact that Aniplex also holds the license in North America and that Japan and North America are in the same BD region. Adding the dub track just makes it so they don't need to release a different set for foreign audiences and can charge fans using Japanese pricing standards. It cuts out the possibility of reverse importing as well.

lem wrote:
With the drama cds included, a color booklet, everything on blu and all of it in one box, this sounds like it's going to be in the 20,000 to 30,000 y price range (260 to almost 400$). If it had a stronger 2nd half, I might be tempted to get the blu, but as it is, I'm more than satisfied with the 3 sets on dvd.

The set retails for 36750 yen, so closer to $500.

I already have the series on R1 DVD and I have some of the R2 releases plus the event DVD already, but ugh, I went and pre-ordered this at Animate on Saturday because I wanted the bonus Kenka CD they're offering, and I've been wanting the series on BD. Hopefully I can find someone to take the DVDs off my hands.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6