• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Missing Links

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:46 am Reply with quote
That first Cowboy Bebop screenshot looks rather Xenogearsian. Discomforting animal-person and all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:01 am Reply with quote
I think I still have that Bebop game in my closet.

Glad to see Dungeon Fighters getting a port, now I can finally give it a shot.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Night Warriors flyer: Again, the foolishness of so-called Western artists and the company's fear of anime artwork.

Project X Zone: The ten-minute trailer they released the other day definitely got me smiling with glee at how awesome this game is going to be. It's plain unrealistic to expect this to get localized, but one part of me just wants to wish for it.

In Brief: Like there was ever any doubt as to NISA planning to localize this. It'll be quite a while from now, but it's good to know that it's in the bag. As for Valkyria Chronicles 3, I just don't understand why they'd go to the trouble of giving us the first two, then just completely drop any further localization. That's almost as bad as Europe only getting Xenosaga Episode II.

Extra Lives: This article reminds me of how sadly naive many of us were when it came to cash-ins. They could take any random poorman's game engine, insert artwork and graphics from any famous series and sell it on the market claiming, "It ties in with that show!" Look at how the NES era was full of similar fail: Back to the Future, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm St. They were all popular movies for their time and horrible games were made to capitalize on a witless gamer market. Also, I remember how popular modding PlayStations was, when I was in high school.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Alongside the fighter, mage, dwarf, and elf archer, you'll see a ridiculously buxom sorceress and muscular amazon seemingly engineered for the sake of naughty fan art.

Such an expectation became fulfilled with much immediacy, foreseeably enough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
To what might this “restructure” refer? Stripped of business jargon, it means that Sega's going through some rough shit.

Actually, no. SegaSammy is being disbanded and SEGA is re-organizing and reforming into a larger company.

Sega will soon become SEGA Orbi Enterprises as they drop the "Sammy" brand name and changed their global business from 3rd party only to 1st party software,home consumer game machines,Androids, non gaming franchising, and 3rd party digital ONLY content "Sega Networks".

http://andriasang.com/con1r0/sega_networks/

Another thing to add is this: Effective August 31,2012, the SEGA Corporation,Inc brand will officially expire and be obsolete.

In place, SEGA Enterprises will be revived as "Sega Orbi Enterprises,Inc."
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote
While it isn't a remake, Square Enix is putting out an updated version of FFVII on the PC with updates and a character-boosting system where players can pay real money to level up the party, as opposed to spending dozens of hours to do the same.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Capcom's horrid Westernizations will always be a thing of hilarity, particularly as it wasn't till midway though the 32 bit era that people went "Hey, the anime art style isn't universally scorned here."
sfried

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Project X Zone - Last I heard, localization all depended on Namco Bandai's decision here in the US. I'm at least hoping they would bring it over considering it's not just two company crossovers but three. Not to mention, it would be something to whet the appetite of those waiting for the latest NBGI/Project Sora produced Smash Brothers.

Rhythm Thief and the Emperors Treasure - Played the demo. I enjoyed it alot, and it's feels more like Rhythm Heaven (exceptthan Space Channel 5, although it is definitely more forgiving that Rhythm Heaven. Based on videos I do know there is a segment which makes tribute to that and Samba de Amigo.

This along with Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy and the 3DS is become home to a lot of quirky rhythm games. I expect a Rhythm Heaven 3D and Elite Beat Agents 2/Ouendan 3 soon.

Edit: Todd, why no mention of Etrian Odyssey IV? It's out now in Japan. Don't tell me you hate it too because of the artwork.

Last edited by sfried on Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Good X button though, but sometimes its always missing something, like why isn't Phantom Breaker mentioned in the Missing in Action section, seriously, the author needs to take more time to add something that's relevant to the niche crowd. Its been pushed too much and 7sixty is being very silent these days.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Capcom's horrid Westernizations will always be a thing of hilarity, particularly as it wasn't till midway though the 32 bit era that people went "Hey, the anime art style isn't universally scorned here."

Which Capcom still does to this day with most of it's games; Rockman especially.

Americans get this and this, while Japan gets the more classic this and this.

And given Ryu and Nina's exclusion from Project X Zone, I'm convince they're abandoned the Breath of Fire franchise. Maybe 2 Ryus is too many.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:51 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Which Capcom still does to this day with most of it's games; Rockman especially.

Americans get this and this, while Japan gets the more classic this and this.

And given Ryu and Nina's exclusion from Project X Zone, I'm convince they're abandoned the Breath of Fire franchise. Maybe 2 Ryus is too many.

Actually I heard the 9 and 10 covers were intentional, to jokingly harken back to the ridiculous time when the artwork was always changed to something "gritty" like that to appeal to foolish U.S. offspring who grew up on too many action movies in the 90s.

As for Breath of Fire, I think any of us can call it: Dragon Quarter was released in 2002. Yeah, it's dead and abandoned, which isn't surprising. To Crapbomb, RPGs don't sell as much as fighters and zombies in their ridiculously convoluted opinion.

Last edited by belvadeer on Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:04 am; edited 1 time in total
BRD529

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:13 am Reply with quote
I still have my copy of the Cowboy Bebop game! It was almost as bad as the Vampire Hunter D game, but still way better than that train wreck Devilman game...

I've forgotten the name, but I also still have a copy of an awesome PS1 RTS/RPG game filled with nothing but famous magical girls, including Creamy Mami, Witch Sally and Cutie Honey! Ah, the good 'ol days...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1