• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: L.A. Times: CW Discusses Battle Royale TV Remake in U.S.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I think a series would be interesting, but sadly I can already hear the haters and their uneducated remarks on how the show is copying the Hunger Games. Sad, but it's going to happen as long as there is stupid people in this world.

So am I safe to assume that the remake will sort of be like an Americanized version?
Giant_Robo_28

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I just don't think that they'd be able to do the content justice, since the show would be on network TV. If it was a cable show, maybe, but even then, they'd wouldn't be able to replicate everything in Takami's novel or Fukusaku's film adaptation.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Oh surrrre Hunger Games became famous, and suddenly there is a huge interest in the former banned in North America movies.... I am glad it did become unbanned and a blu ray of the two movies came out, but I just hate the fact that they are pushing it out due to a similar title... As the Twilight example stands with all the vampire stuff that came out, I hope "group of kids in a secluded place that have to kill each other" won't become the next 'thing'.
mic911911

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
This series if it was picked up by any other major network would probably have a chance of being quality and maybe keeping in the spirit of the original novel and film. But the CW is the melodramatic romance network (Gossip Girls, 90210, One Tree Hill, Gilmore Girls, etc.), this show if made will likely rely on the relationships of the novel/film.

Those relationships were interesting and carried the films' overarching message that theses kids would kill their best friends and people they're in love with unquestioningly just because the government and society told them to do it. But over course the director understood that the viewer also needed to be entertained by moving across various relationships throughout the film and also paying off with violence. But I can already see that a love triangle angle would appear out of nowhere.

But even me looking down on this project will say that if the show is actually made and read that it is actually good then I will give it a watch. My only hope is that the show can take a message of never question authority and expand it.

Well enough about that, time to watch The Wire, a great show.

This next part is a about who lives and dies in film and although it is vague, people who watched the film will understand my point. spoiler[I feel that the film succeeded in avoiding conflict that I expected from the beginning. I expected a couple would have to kill one another to survive at the end, this is actually shown but very briefly and it occurred in a previous Battle Royale class. I think that is the angle the show would rely on and build drama off of that.]
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Giant_Robo_28 wrote:
I just don't think that they'd be able to do the content justice, since the show would be on network TV. If it was a cable show, maybe, but even then, they'd wouldn't be able to replicate everything in Takami's novel or Fukusaku's film adaptation.

I would see such a project on HBO or Showtime, not Basic given the source material. Heck, i'm wondering how the hell they'll try and translate some of the students, like spoiler[Mitsuko's nymphomania/daddy issues/rape history], or spoiler[Kiriyama's slow descent into madness after the car accident/lobotomy.]
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:37 pm Reply with quote
So pretty much the book/movie that ripped it off got popular, so now they want to cash in on similar stuff. Seems like typical mass media behavior.

Treating it like it's some quick cash grab rip off and not the other way around, strike one.
Wants to be on The CW, strike two.
Undoubtedly will be Americanized and whitewashed, strike three.

Well, that's game.

Though it would be nice to see the original Japanese version of one of these films/things get popular for once rather than the American version. Even if only one time.
kuranos

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I think it'll benefit more as a J-drama. Something is bound to be lost during the transition to American TV.

Last edited by kuranos on Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:40 pm Reply with quote
No thanks. Considering how acclaimed the movie is and how much it completely got wrong or changed for no good reason from the original source, I would hate to see what a US TV series would do.

The novel is all I need.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:49 pm Reply with quote
The ignorant masses will scream Hunger Games ripoff and judging by the timing, this seems like bandwagon riding.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:01 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
I think a series would be interesting, but sadly I can already hear the haters and their uneducated remarks on how the show is copying the Hunger Games. Sad, but it's going to happen as long as there is stupid people in this world.

So am I safe to assume that the remake will sort of be like an Americanized version?

It's not even that, it's just there's no way to do it. The only way it could possibly work is if it's a miniseries, or they do a "Total Drama" type thing where they have a new game every season.

Last edited by v1cious on Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
GTO Neko

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:20 pm Reply with quote
If it's on CW, it's usually a pass for me, but, as long as they actually attempt at doing it justice like a few series that did work on CW (Supernatural for one), then I MAY give it a shot, otherwise, not really holding my breath.
Dante80

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Nobody cares really if some people think that a BR remake copies Hunger Games.

A series would be damn interesting, especially if it is loosely based on the resource material (it wouldn't work otherwise, it has to be thoroughly localized imo). Social psychology is a subject that can give a lot of room for plot development ~ artistic expression, and projects like BR, Das Experiment, The Cube etc can attest to that.

Hope we see sth good come out of it...^^
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:46 pm Reply with quote
If they did remake Battle Royale, how about go for that hard R where Hunger Games basically chickened out. Without the blood and carnage, it's just not very entertaining.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Producer A: "Hunger Games is HOT, guys, we need more things like that!"

Producer B: "Hold on there, buddy, remember that Hollywood has a strict hiatus on doing anything original, even if it's a rip-off of something else!"

Producer A: "Drat! You're right!"

Producer C: "Guys, there's a loophole! There's a movie in Japan that's based on one of those weird mayn-ga books! And there's a novel too! It's like 'The Hunger Games', but darker, which means we can attract the scene and goth demographic of teenage girls!"

Producer A and B: "So we can be like 'Hunger Games', not come up with any new ideas, AND deliver an edgy reboot? Count us in!"

Yup, that has to be how it happened...
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Maybe if it got the same treatment as Harper's Island, where it was just the one season. But I generally make it a rule not to watch prime time tv. Too many scars.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3