• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Late Night with Helen McCarthy

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Ahh, I was wondering when this lovely woman would grace us with an appearance on ANNCast. She's a good speaker with some fascinating stories.

Can't wait to hear it!
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Helen McCarthy is one of the greatest scholarly minds when it comes to anime. I can only imagine how awesome this podcast is. Why oh why did I start the 3 hr cast with Darryl and Mike before I knew this was coming!
bhy1117

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I've had the book for years. I love to read it every few months just to dive into the Miyazaki world when I'm on the road, away from my movie collection. It's great to hear this wonderful author interviewed.
icomeanon6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I really feel I missed the era of good packaging. Sad

The first anime DVD I bought (2008 or so) was a used Platinum Perfect tin of Evangelion. Still my favorite purchase, and the nifty tin is a part of it.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I liked Earthsea but that was because I had no expectations, and because Hayao Miyazaki's last two films was Miyazaki stops his romance movie to yell at you about war (otherwise known as Howl's moving castle), and Ponyo (which makes you feel sorry about Goro).

There are some moments of Earthsea that I liked (mainly Sparrowhawk) but I never liked anything about Ponyo.

I think piracy isnt so much about jealousy but about under estimating how much work it takes to make something. The general expectation is that a manga is just something that someone one drew, and so it takes no work.

I also believe that there are some maliciousness in that people who make money by piracy promote the idea that piracy is the way of the future, and promises some paradise in which you get high quality entertainment for free, and its just that the greedy corporations that are stopping this paradise from coming out.

Ultimately I think the problem is that instead of having an actual debate on piracy we instead start off from the pirates point of view and go from there. About a week ago Ed Sizemore actually retweeted something that the founder of a major cloud service that makes a ton of money based off of piracy, and the whole thing was basically just this guy justifying piracy under the claims of "how to end piracy" (the guy makes millions of dollars of piracy why would he want to end it). One of the claims is that if you make something good than people are going to buy it when you see that just looking at sales thats not true, in this instance instead of looking at people who profit from piracy as the problem, we instead blame the victim. You tell people that this person stuff was stolen only because it wasn't good. Another problem is that claiming that if you release something all at once worldwide then people wont pirate, now if you are making an english language game thats not much of a problem, but if you're making a game in some other language then it becomes harder to compete. With Japan you have the entertainment industry just trying to survive and you expect it to all of a sudden switch to having an english based entertainment industry? Thats just not happening.
HandGrave

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:27 am Reply with quote
Author critic,
Helen McCarthy,
Is wonderful.
DanQew

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:44 am Reply with quote
france Grendizer: goldorak
i heard the jp fans liked how the french renamed the enemies, them being the definite product issued from stolen prototype (goldorak): golgoth + number.
in japanese they were named like berebere or tagitagi or girigiri + number.
spain mazinger: (forgot)
lem

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:15 am Reply with quote
Interesting and entertaining.Thank you Thank you! I'm so glad you guys were able to have her as a guest on your podcast. Definitely looking forward to the next session.
kpk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote
What about No. 6?

The Blu-ray is already out and I remember Zac said something about that he's going to complete the show and review it.
DanQew

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:45 am Reply with quote
what a shame the (tired?) voice of one of the guys right after she spoke gave me the impression of 'what ever, what ever lets push on' . what a shame. like u don't appreciate her knowledge and opinion. she talks alot yep but she has points to make and just drink redbulls you're on the phone you CAN act like you are interested right?
again it is an impression.
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote
This has been the best podcast yet. Thank you so much for having Helen McCarthy on, and I hope she will be on again. She has so many intelligent and nice things to say. She would be fun to discuss anime with. She has that quality that all good teachers have where she makes everyone feel like they're worth something.

That story about that little girl's take on Totoro brought tears to my eyes. My three year old loves that movie, and we are now going through my mother having a terminal illness, so that was particularly touching for me.

Thank you guys and Ms. McCarthy for such a thought provoking podcast.
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:52 pm Reply with quote
DanQew wrote:
what a shame the (tired?) voice of one of the guys right after she spoke gave me the impression of 'what ever, what ever lets push on' . what a shame. like u don't appreciate her knowledge and opinion. she talks alot yep but she has points to make and just drink redbulls you're on the phone you CAN act like you are interested right?
again it is an impression.
That's just how he talks. Don't read too much into it.

Looking forward to getting into this cast when I get home
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:34 pm Reply with quote
All I have to say is that she's really smart and insightful.
ElectricDork

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:36 pm Reply with quote
That was a great interview. Helen speaks so well on so many different subjects, and listening to her is always hugely rewarding and entertaining.

Helen's Anime Movie Guide (which covered OVAs in addition to theatrical films) was such an invaluable resource to me, as a relatively new anime fan without regular internet access, when it was released in 1996. I also fondly remember AnimeUK/FX magazine. Those were exciting times.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Holy... Mind. Blown.

Wow! I'll admit to not knowing of Helen McCarthy prior to ANNCast; what an incredible guest. Well done, ANNCast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3