• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ONIAI (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:36 am Reply with quote

ONIAI (TV) (Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!)
Plot Summary:
ANN wrote:
The story centers around Akito Himenokōji, a boy who was separated from his twin sister Akiko, but they end up living under the same roof together during high school.

What would we do if there was no cheesy harem with incest themes at least once a season, because that is this series, I do wonder what the Japanese titles translates to. All I need is these designs, silly humor, harem antics and the cry of a girl calling out to her undying love to her brother (who gives her a flat no) and I am sucked into this series. The story here seems to be a little choppy, but lets just say that a guy is living in a dorms with 4 girls, and for some reason they are also the student council. The characters are what is important here,

We have Akiko, a girl who calls having a brother complex to be an important part of her personality, seems she just wants to be alone with her Onii-chan. She kind of reminds me of Nagi from Kannagi for some reason, not sure why though, also seems she is being cast by a new seiyuu.... who is apparently not even 15 yet, I am a little creeped out now. Next we have Ana, the classy blonde blue eyes girl, she appears to be a kuudere, but has quite the mean and seductive mouth, a possible favourite for the sarcastic lovers (also voiced by Yuki Nagato's Seiyu). Then there is Arashi, a seemingly tough girl who has more manliness than most anime male leads, she is tall, has an eye patch, has flaming hair to show how fired up she gets, and an aua of fun (plus a traditional attire). And lastly we have the tiny Haruomi, her white hair shows that she is pure, and her voice looks and homliness give her a "girl next door" vibe.

Personally I like all three of the already set other girls in the show, and the delusional sister with a brocon is just sprinkles, perhaps have the guy me forcefull. This will be my true guilty pleasure of the season.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:49 am Reply with quote
It reminded me of Kono Naka Imouto somewhat.

I also lol'd @ the shirt that Akiko was wearing as well as her demands and spoiler[marriage imaginations].

Overall, it was a good laugh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Gentlemen, I like little sisters. No, that would be an understatement, I L-O-V-E little sisters. Of course, I mean that I love 2D little sisters (my real little sister is a nuisance). There's something about these little sister types in anime that makes me go d'awww. I just want to pat their head, hug them from behind, and squeal when called I'm "onii-chan."

Now, excuse me as I go and watch the episode to fulfill these delusions.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Oh, Akiko. Don't you realize spoiler[most men don't care for hyperaggressive women? You really should've started off slower, rather than projecting and coming off like a pervert].

That said, I'm looking forward to finding out what's with the other three girls. I'll be fine if we don't get a "this is why I want him" story for any of them, but I really want to know what they find attractive about him. Eyepatch-kun's clearly in it for the sex, but what about the other two?
Stark700 wrote:
I also lol'd @ the shirt that Akiko was wearing
I think I've got an idea of what it says, but my attempt to follow up was only half-successful - I can't for the life of me find the first symbol in Wikipedia's list.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:50 pm Reply with quote
If anything, I am a gambler. And there a times when you get a good feeling and you decide to play on a 5-9 off suite. And are times when you get rewarded with a 6-7-8 on the flop. And then you end up losing to the guy with 10-9. So it goes. This is a not a show I would normally watch. But I had a good feeling about it, so I decided to risk a little.

I was rewarded. It has been a long time since I've watched one of these shows, so maybe this is normal, but I found the comedic sparring between the Brother and Sister to be quite wonderful. My big problem with incest shows is their unrealism--I find it hard to believe that anybody with a younger sibling would be sexually attracted to them, and generally these shows don't bother to address this fact. Have the brother utterly uninterested in his sister was unexpected and greatly appreciated. I'm not convinced that the other girls in the harem will be as successful characters, so far them seem to be 1-D cut outs. But this is only the first episode.

Overall, this looks like an amusing distraction, it certainly had me laughing at several points. I'm not expecting much from it, but it projects to about a 'B-' show, a little above average. And that's all I really need from it.

On a unrelated note, it is a pity that Crunchy doesn't have this. The fansub group I used had a horrible translation. Odd, since I've had no previous problems with them. But there was around ten bad translations/word choice and several bad grammatical mistakes. And what really grinds my gears was the Anastasia pun. The joke being that 'Ana' is Japanese for hole, and there is a term for men who refer to women as 'holes'. BUT, in English, the diminutive of Anastasia is Anna, because of how vowels are pronounced. Come on, man, at least you could spell names correctly. I'm trying to decide if it is worth breaking out Aegisub and fixing everything. I'll think about it.

Polycell wrote:
I think I've got an idea of what it says, but my attempt to follow up was only half-successful - I can't for the life of me find the first symbol in Wikipedia's list.

妹 -> Imouto. So the shirt is: "I heart little sisters" I'm guessing she had a matching pair made for her brother as well.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
Gentlemen, I like little sisters. No, that would be an understatement, I L-O-V-E little sisters. Of course, I mean that I love 2D little sisters (my real little sister is a nuisance). There's something about these little sister types in anime that makes me go d'awww. I just want to pat their head, hug them from behind, and squeal when called I'm "onii-chan."

Now, excuse me as I go and watch the episode to fulfill these delusions.

Agree with everything you said. I even have an annoying little sister.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:02 am Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
Polycell wrote:

妹 -> Imouto. So the shirt is: "I heart little sisters" I'm guessing she had a matching pair made for her brother as well.
*Rechecks the list* Dammit. That font makes it look so much like two different kanji!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:06 am Reply with quote
More of that redhead. I hope eyepatches become as ubiquitous as meganekko and ZR.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Akito seems to have a spine, hope it lasts
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Guhehehe Guhehehe. I loled at the ending scene. And what a surprise spoiler[ He dislikes the way his sister is all over him but he writes about forbidden love anyway. The way he reacted when he saw the book and author's name, I thought one of his friends was the author, but it turned out to be him after all.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Oh God, that OP song. That OP song.

But ya, that redhead was fun to watch this episode and the teasing words that came out of her mouth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:39 pm Reply with quote
So... he's a guy who has no interest in his sister at all but spoiler[makes a living writing sibling incest fantasies. I guess he could now branch out to writing about a group of hot horny girls wanting to jump a bland nobody's bones for no apparent reason.]... no... that would be a horrible story, and far too cliched.

Well, I guess they got an explanation for one of the other girl's fixation now. I'd guess they'll continue with this pattern for the next couple episodes- letting the other two offer a throw away line to explain why the heck they also want him so bad.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:00 pm Reply with quote
That opening song really is something, might even beat B Gata H Kei's in terms of innuendos.

Episode 2

Seems word of the day in this episode was "tsundere".

So we find out that white haired girl, is actually a childhood friend, who seems to have a number of jealousy issues, apparently she transfered schools to follow him, so much if you thought she was innocent. Actually her hair is probbly more grey/silver, probably part of a pun of him calling her Gin, which means silver right? The two of them put on a show that made them look like a married couple.

Ana, or Anastasia, seems to fall into my favorite, yes tgey pulled the pun that many of us know from Ichigo Mashimaro, but it seemed to be done as a joke of the joke. Her part in the OP is still running through my head, a bit surprised they allowed that, but salute the flute.

And Arashi, how can I not have fun with her, she is a predator. I note several shots of her without an eyepatch, like say in the ED song, seems the eyepatch is not needed.

Talking about the ED song, what is with the gesture they are doing?

...Oh, and the sister. Why does she remind of Nagi so much, I think it may be the triangle mouth thing, I can also recall a similar style used in Minami-ke. I like her red eyes and black hair, it also makes me think of my favorite character on Mayo Chiki, but as I think of that you would need the assertion of Arashi, the mouth of Ana, innocent act of childhood friend. Oh my god, each of the girls are a different part of one of my favorite anime characters. Well sister is worth a few laughs.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:11 pm Reply with quote
yeah, the op is nothing but one visual innuendo after another. B Gata H kei definitely didn't have that much.
Sengura

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote
So I just watched the first half of the first episode... And I have to say...

WHAT!?

This is the anime that people point out to make fun of anime fans. They point to this anime and that's it, there's no counter-point. There is nothing I can say to redeem anime from that point onward.

Really? REALLY?! Come on... REALLY?!

What a surreal piece of shit!

What the hell? I've watched over 200 anime series and I don't think I've ever physically face palmed myself after watching a scene, but it happened today, from watching this.

Just out of no where, a cute little shy girl storms into her brothers bedroom pissed off that he didn't peak on her and later wants to have sex with him. What the hell?

Didn't bother watching the second half, please tell me that the entire first half of the first episode was just a dream sequence someone was having, and they're going to wake up from it and shoot themselves in the head for having dreamt it. That would be the only way to save this heaping pile of flaming shit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5