• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 10 Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 2012

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BurtWalker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Wow, how did Kuroko no Basuke and Uchu Kyoudai get so high?! O_o
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:16 pm Reply with quote
BurtWalker wrote:

because people liked them.
can we please have more kimi ni todoke anime and a silver spoon anime now please Very Happy
also confirmation on a 3rd or 4th quarter for magi would be nice. I am shocked though that detective conan is not on that list.
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
BurtWalker wrote:

because people liked them.
can we please have more kimi ni todoke anime and a silver spoon anime now please Very Happy
also confirmation on a 3rd or 4th quarter for magi would be nice. I am shocked though that detective conan is not on that list.

I've never seen Conan sell that well as a manga (I recall Chihayafuru having a volume outsell it perhaps on the first week for both), the TV ratings are great (sparring with One Piece every week).

Glad to see some new blood in the top three, going to be a while before One Piece has a turn in second place but I'm happy with Kuroko doing well.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Can someone please license Silver Spoon in the states already?

Uchuu Kyoudai and Magi would be nice pick ups too.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
I am shocked though that detective conan is not on that list.

Conan is much more popular in anime form than manga form. It's one of those shows where the anime surpasses/supersedes the manga.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:37 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

Conan is much more popular in anime form than manga form. It's one of those shows where the anime surpasses/supersedes the manga.

ya but the anime kinda screws up the manga pacing ALOT in multiple places.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Kuroko stole Naruto's second place spot...O_O Naruto's held that spot since 2008...(Possibly longer, but that's as far as ANN's records go so far as I can find.)

Also, One Piece's sales went down compared to the previous year for the first time in recent memory as well...And not only did they go down, but by 14.5 million...

It's the end of an age...

That being said, I'm pleased at the success of Kuroko, Uchuu Kyoudai, and Magi. Anime smile (I really need to get on reading Silver Spoon.)

Last edited by Darkmagick on Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
StrawHat313

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Man I really need to read Silver Spoon sometime because I keep hearing about it everywhere on anime news lately, and now it's one of the top 10 selling manga. Must be really good if it's doing all that. since it has comedy I'm guessing I'd like it.

I also need to start watching the Kuroko Basket anime because I'm hearing tons about that one too (omit the threats part though). I'm guessing since I liked Slam Dunk I'd probably like that even if I heard the MC's act totally different from one another.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:
Kuroko stole Naruto's second place spot...O_O Naruto's held that spot since 2008...(Possibly longer, but that's as far as ANN's records go so far as I can find.)

Also, One Piece's sales went down compared to the previous year for the first time in recent memory as well...And not only did they go down, but by 14.5 million...

It's the end of an age...

That being said, I'm pleased at the success of Kuroko, Uchuu Kyoudai, and Magi. Anime smile (I really need to get on reading Silver Spoon.)

One Piece's sales went down because for the past year or two most of them were from people playing catch-up and buying older volumes. Now that everyone is caught up all those Volume 1 - 60+ sales have decreased by a large margin.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Can someone please license Silver Spoon in the states already?

Uchuu Kyoudai and Magi would be nice pick ups too.

Viz is owned by Shueisha and Shogakukan so I think they are just waiting for the inevitable anime to be made so they can license it while its more noticeable.

As for why Kuroko Basketball, and Space Brothers have shot up the charts the reason are the anime adaptations. Sales skyrocket as people buy large amounts of the previous volumes.

Silver Spoon sales while always good due to being made by Hiromu Arakawa increased drastically when it won the Taisho award which is an award given to manga with 8 or less volumes made in the last year.
wohdin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote
BurtWalker wrote:

Uh.

Because they're good.

I'm actually really excited by Spacebros being so high, it bodes well for the future of the anime.
Dino_Rabbit

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

ya but the anime kinda screws up the manga pacing ALOT in multiple places.

You actually think that families that watch Conan actually cares about pacing? They watch it to enjoy not nitpick the tiniest of details like a lot of the people that plague the western anime community.
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

For the first 100 episodes or so, the anime is far inferior to the manga thanks to Scooby Doo-esque filler, ruining the core plot and having to retcon itself and such. Even if it's probably good now with the typical bit of censorship which comes with being on TV, but it's the worst adaptation of a long runner (especially as it is a long runner itself) I've had the fortune of seeing the manga for as well. >_>
Kutsu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

Plus by now I suspect the sales of the older volumes are close to zero unlike a few other more recent series on that list (Magi, Kuroko etc.) . There's also the amount of new volumes released in the given time-frame to take into consideration : 5 for Kuroko, 5 for Fairy Tail, 4 for One Piece, 4 for Conan...

In the end, the list by volume gives a better picture.

Last edited by Kutsu on Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dino_Rabbit

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:00 pm Reply with quote
thelastgogeta wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

For the first 100 episodes or so, the anime is far inferior to the manga thanks to Scooby Doo-esque filler, ruining the core plot and having to retcon itself and such. Even if it's probably good now with the typical bit of censorship which comes with being on TV, but it's the worst adaptation of a long runner (especially as it is a long runner itself) I've had the fortune of seeing the manga for as well. >_>

This is pretty mean.

They ruined a plot point (ep 13) because the initial goal for the anime was 13 episodes 1 cour (or possibly 2 cour), but the rating skyrocketed and shocked them, so they decided to make it longer, and since the rating never dropped it became a long running anime.

And the filler is to keep the anime running, which I'm totally fine with because I love the fillers in Conan, And since it does twice as well as Naruto Shippuuden and on par with One Piece in ratings, its really not nice to say its the worst long running adaptation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3