• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Penguindrum Anime Inspires Manga Almost 2 Years Later

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:02 am Reply with quote
So this is what the Penguinbear thing was all along?

Lame.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
partially

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:27 am Reply with quote
Given its been a number of months since the Penguinbear thing I would actually hazard that that was something different that never got off the ground (or has yet to). And they are essentially simply using the domain to advertise this new related project.

EDIT: Also the fact that the penguinbear website has not relaunched itself announcing the project and mention of the manga is simply a photo among a bunch of other photos that have been posted would seem to indicate they are definitely not the same.

Last edited by partially on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:41 am; edited 3 times in total
Animerican14

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:30 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
So this is what the Penguinbear thing was all along?

Lame.

It seems that it might be implied that's the case.... but has it definitively been said that this is Penguinbear? Maybe the manga was just announced on the Penguinbear site just as a Penguindrum related announcement... it's not like there has been any other actual Penguindrum-specific news since the site opened in August, I think. If it truly was the Penguinbear project, I'd think there'd be more substance about it on the site, or at least a big splash image... right now, all we have are some low-res photos on the side, and the Penguinbear logo with the (presumably) same cryptic text message as before in the background on the left. Also consider that it's still just Ikuhara's name in romaji that's headlining the project.

So, maybe hope isn't lost for Penguinbear. It could be a sequel series, spinoff, or (even better, I'd think) a movie as different from its TV series and as visually sumptuous as the Adolescence of Utena.

Anyway, I hope the manga will actually really add something to it, like an alternate continuity... that's how it worked for the Utena manga, too, right? Even so, I'm actually much more interested in the novel trilogy written by Ikuhara, which is closely tied to the television series but apparently fills in some blanks and background stuff. Maybe Yen Press could get that...?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:53 am Reply with quote
wow..i cant believe it's been that long already >.<. wheres my life gone
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:19 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
wow..i can't believe it's been that long already >.<. wheres my life gone

Just what I thought. Has it really been that long???
yaypepsi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:54 am Reply with quote
I'm fairly sure this is Penguinbear. See that picture under the number 121231? Ikuhara had posted that on his Twitter page one day with the emoticons he uses when he's talking about penguinbear.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:57 am Reply with quote
I don't understand, if Lily Hoshino is the original artist and draws manga herself, why isn't SHE handling the art?

I mean it's just weird! Have someone else write (Ikuhara) and she can do the art! Just do an alternate retelling, add some new twists and tweak personalities, and you'd have a manga version!

Just commenting, not complaining. Aside from the whole spoiler[being selfless is a good thing] message that was extremely subtle at the end of the show and completely went over my head.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:33 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
I don't understand, if Lily Hoshino is the original artist and draws manga herself, why isn't SHE handling the art?

I mean it's just weird! Have someone else write (Ikuhara) and she can do the art! Just do an alternate retelling, add some new twists and tweak personalities, and you'd have a manga version!

Just commenting, not complaining. Aside from the whole spoiler[being selfless is a good thing] message that was extremely subtle at the end of the show and completely went over my head.

Um, because she's busy with Otome Youkai Zakuro? I would have liked to see her write it as well, but at least she did a chapter in the official anthology.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:37 am Reply with quote
Well, this is news to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:

This happens all the time actually so it isn't really weird, but I get what you're saying. I would have LOVED it if Hoshino did the manga version though. It would have been great considering she is one of my favorite artists. As for the manga I am SUPER excited to read it!
sorincha child

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:21 am Reply with quote
... I think I am more shocked that it has been two years since the show came out than knowing it is getting a manga.

Who knows, though, maybe I can enjoy this so far down the line to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1