• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Haruhi Suzumiya CD Sells Out

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khryoleoz

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:44 am Reply with quote
This is great! The theme is very will written, incorporating some really catchy hooks. The key change on refrain is resolved to the verse's original key, progressing towards it in a cadence that is the most original that I've heard in a long time. The production values are also really good and the packaging is gorgeous. How I wish I wrote it instead.
T0FFe3m@n

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:51 am Reply with quote
Not suprising really, since the ED animation itself is so addictively OTT, and endearing to some degree..

However, does anyone else think the opening theme is much better than the ending theme anyway?

EDIT: ... also, is anyone else completely dumbfounded that the series itself is already ranked #2 in ANN's list after just 7 episodes!? heh, it's good... but not that good. Rolling Eyes
Seizure_Dog

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:09 pm Reply with quote
It really has bummed me out that this series has gotten so popular. Don't get me wrong, I love Haruhi. It's just that I hate to see something I love get ruined for being overly popular. I was totally hoping that the series would become a weird underground hit, but alas, it went mainstream. It's just not as enjoyable to like something when everyone else likes it too...
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Seizure_Dog wrote:
It's just not as enjoyable to like something when everyone else likes it too...

Lol, suck it up.

Sigh...okay, it's a well written song, but how can anyone listen to those cute-ified voices for extended periods?
Kuroro IX

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Seizure_Dog wrote:
It really has bummed me out that this series has gotten so popular. Don't get me wrong, I love Haruhi. It's just that I hate to see something I love get ruined for being overly popular. I was totally hoping that the series would become a weird underground hit, but alas, it went mainstream. It's just not as enjoyable to like something when everyone else likes it too...

Er, do you realize how sad & elitist this makes you seem? How on earth could popularity possibly hurt a good series? It's not as if the masses who have come to like Haruhi are all raging trolls or pairing fiends...
T0FFe3m@n

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Kuroro IX wrote:
It's not as if the masses who have come to like Haruhi are all raging trolls or pairing fiends...

They aren't?

Maybe im hanging with the wrong crowd.. Confused
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Wow, simply amazing that an anime theme song would take number 1 on the charts, and would sell out the first day. This is a victory for anime right there.
wildarmsheero

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Otaku muscle is strong. Not strong enough to get it to the number one spot on the Oricon charts, though (it took 15.) Number one on Amazon is quite the feet, though.
Gauss

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:49 pm Reply with quote
T0FFe3m@n wrote:

EDIT: ... also, is anyone else completely dumbfounded that the series itself is already ranked #2 in ANN's list after just 7 episodes!? heh, it's good... but not that good. Rolling Eyes

Mmm, it's actually more common for a series to be ranked higher in the beginning than at the end. In other words the numbers will most likely stabilize at a lower point.

PS both songs have their charms but it's the snazzy dance moves that clinches it for the ED. Expect more ending animations with silly dances in the future.

Seizure_Dog wrote:
It really has bummed me out that this series has gotten so popular. Don't get me wrong, I love Haruhi. It's just that I hate to see something I love get ruined for being overly popular.

Don't worry. As the ever-present Mr. Anynomous sagely said on an imageboard: "To be a Harutard you first need to be a tard". Since every happy viewer of the show clearly has a modicum of good taste they cannot be tards (QED). So rejoice at your good company comrade Haruist!
saishokushugisha
Editor, Anime Insider

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:16 pm Reply with quote
wildarmsheero wrote:
Otaku muscle is strong. Not strong enough to get it to the number one spot on the Oricon charts, though (it took 15.) Number one on Amazon is quite the feet, though.

The other album mentioned, Stadium Arcadium, took Oricon's number one album spot the day it was released and dropped from there.
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:56 pm Reply with quote
This mollifies me to hear how popular it is. I think I mentioned that I sat through the ending six or seven times in a row because it's so addictive...looks like I'm not alone. Phew!

p.s. The series seems like it's getting "worse," not better. What's up with that slow and predictable island episode?!
j1m0ne
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't quite sure how well the single was selling, given it dropped out of the Oricon top 20 on the second day, though it's back up at no.18 today. FictionJunction YUUKA's .hack//Roots OP theme 'Silly-Go-Round' has outsold it all three days so far, debuting at no.13 and reaching a high of no.11 (though obviously first-day sales are almost always the largest). And the fact that FJ YUUKA have more mainstream appeal than the seiyuu trio....

There's a fairly overwhelming amount of new releases this week, so getting into the top 20 for the week overall would be pretty good. Hirano Aya's 'Bouken Desho Desho?' has sold a very respectable 20,000+ copies so far, 'Harehare Yukai' would do well to match that.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 4:21 pm Reply with quote
while i think this show is pretty funny, i have to say it is EXTREMELY overhyped. people are making it out to be way more than it actually is.
one3rd

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:09 pm Reply with quote
From what I've heard, the dance moves for the ending are included with the single. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:43 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
From what I've heard, the dance moves for the ending are included with the single. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

*prays that there are SOME girls that'll dance to it*

Never again I'll click on that streaming video link everyone knows about that has that dance with all guys (or worse that one British guy that's been circulating)! Mad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4