• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Horrible Boyfriends

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LavenderMintRose

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Wow, surprised to see two of the Code Geass options in the top 10! That's good though.
I agree with the option that resurrecting dead characters "ruins" the story - the writers killed those characters for a reason, and the story's core elements wouldn't come out the same way without those deaths... in the hands of a good writer. But in Code Geass, there are a lot of deaths (and memory erasures) that are more like a cop-out. I'd really like to see what Lelouch would have done if he's really been faced with spoiler[his classmate and possible love interest knowing his secrets] or spoiler[his other beloved sister actually enacting her plan to solve thing], etc. but it's so much easier to have something crazy happen after which they'd have to be killed/mindwiped. It's easier to write, and it has the added benefit of keeping Lelouch angry with the world! *sigh* I really would have loved to see what could have played out, though...

So that's why I like the 10th place poll option. Anime smile;

In this week's poll... Cardcaptor Sakura~
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:29 pm Reply with quote
When I saw the title of this article I was all "Makoto had best be #1!" but I see that he doesn't fit the exact criteria of the list.
mistress_kisara

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
When I saw the title of this article I was all "Makoto had best be #1!" but I see that he doesn't fit the exact criteria of the list.

Haha me to! Too bad its just shoujo

With regards to Toma, spoiler[At least he regrets what he did to her (it doesn't make it ok though)and Shin beats the shit out of him in Amnesia Later, too bad we're not gonna see it animated]
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Akio: Psychologically the scariest person in all of anime. Nothing in anime has scared me more than him and his outright manipulation and seduction of just about everyone. Abuse seems like such a light, harmless word compared to what he did.

Last edited by littlegreenwolf on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aizen-chan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:47 pm Reply with quote
How about the reverse - a list of girls with the worst taste in men. Some possible examples:

Haruko from FLCL - she's gone after a young teenage boy, his deranged father, and a wanted space alien.

Julia from Cowboy Bebop - she cheated on her homicidal boyfriend with a guy who can't forget her but doesn't care enough to find her. And she may have tried to start something with Gren, who's tits are not his biggest problem.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Oh god, I really regret not putting him in here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, kind of sad to see that from Gurren Lagann (spoilers for entire series coming) spoiler[only Kamina made it into the top 10, and not Nia. Now, don't get me wrong, Kamina was awesome and fun, yes, but his death was also hugely important to the story and character development of Simon. If he didn't die, it wouldn't be the same show at all. I guess you could resurrect him at the very end, but it would seem kind of weird.]

spoiler[Nia's death on the other hand just seemed pointless. We get like two sentences to even explain why she died, and with it happening right at the end no real story or character development came from it. Also, Simon had been fighting the last dozen or so episodes not just to save earth, but also to save her, and for her to suddenly die at the end anyways felt off. I didn't fit the tone of the ending up to that point. Unlike Kamina, saving her wouldn't require anything drastic or change the series much, just a few minor alterations to the last few scenes in the last episode and things would be fixed.]

EDIT: Clarifying a minor point.

Last edited by Mad_Scientist on Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Man that new poll... I wanna vote for Kiyo due to my Gash Bell fanboyism but being forced to choose between Taiki and Masaru *PUNCH!!* Is friggin hard....

Ash REALLY shouldn't win....
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
8. Arima (His and Her Circumstances) Arima suffers from a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde scenario, but fortunate for himself and his girlfriend, Dr. Jekyll is winning. His own insecurities (and believe me, almost every entry on this list suffers from some sort of ruined-childhood-insecurity problem) about his pedigree lead to fear of abandonment which in turn, causes him to lash out at those around his girlfriend, Yukino. She in turn, pulls the love savior card that starts to turn things around for the two of them, but not before Arima shows some really ugly character flaws underneath his perfect facade.

Where the manga continues the story where the anime left off, it just went downhill for me. However you want to interpret/spin it, or turn a blind eye to certain parts, but the fact remains that Arima spoiler[sexually assaulted Yukino]. Any "romance" that takes a spoiler[rapey] turn is an automatic dealbreaker, and amongst its other problems I couldn't have been more disappointed with this series.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:55 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:

Oh god, I really regret not putting him in here.

You're probably talking about Makoto Ito from School Days, but it made me think of Makoto Shishio, who spoiler[killed his girlfriend to get to his enemy.] On the other hand, Yumi definitely belongs on the suggested reverse list of women with terrible taste in men. Smile
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I agree with every word on Toma's entry. Amnesia must be the lamest wish-fullfilment reverse-harem I've ever watched, who would ever want to be surrounded by any of those guys? The fact that the series rationalizes Toma's actions, with both the girl and Orion justifying them saying it's not the "Real" him and that his intense desire to protect her just drives him too far, is infuriating to say the least

As for the poll, I voted Sakura, because unlike Ash, she did catch'em all LOL (which is to say, I'll always be horribly biased in CCS's favor)

Last edited by CrowLia on Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I vote for Reiji Oozora in the new poll because Dragon Drive needs more lovin' and, despite overreliance on spoiler[Shinsaber] I quite liked him.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Just hold off on the Worst Girlfriend list until Aku no Hana airs.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Just hold off on the Worst Girlfriend list until Aku no Hana airs.

And boyfriend for a while is an asshole too.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Takumi is the villain of nana not the main love interest that is nobu who at the end of the last chapter that has (probably ever will be) released it implies that nobu is going to get her back from him

Also can we please add makato to the list he really deserves it. I do not care at this point if it is just a honorable mention.

Last edited by Tanteikingdomkey on Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7