• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
No more user name Changes for a while

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:43 am Reply with quote
ANN 5.0 allows for user name changes. We're going to beta it very *VERY* soon, and open it to the public this summer.

Once you have access to it, the beta or the public version, you can change your name on your own.

In the meantime, we will not be responding to any new user name requests.

-t
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Well that sounds extremely dangerous. What sort of safeguards will be in place to stop people from misusing this ability? After just a few seconds of thought I can think of at least three ways that people can abuse this, and I'm sure there are more.

Plus, doesn't the ability to change your username at will strike at the very heart of a forum with registered accounts, which is that people can always identify and recognise one another? I know Dan42 always kept it in mind whenever he was asked to change people's usernames.

On a more positive note, I am delighted that 5.0 will be rolling out so soon. I can't wait.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Assuming that 5.0 still uses phpBB for the forums, it won't matter. Everything on the account level (warnings, any behind-the-scenes comments on accounts, etc) is tied to the account by account number, not name, and the number can't be changed. Yes, if you're watching a particular user and they change the name, you as a user won't have any way to be aware of this (unless they choose to use the "friends/enemies" feature from phpBB3), but the mods and admins will still have all the information, including a note on exactly when the username change went into effect.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:20 am Reply with quote
@Tempest: Thanks for changing my username Smile. I look forward to seeing the new forum features Anime smile.
Daigekru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I haw a question, dont know if this is the right place to put it, I made huge blunder during my account creation and misspelled my Account nick name (its Daigekryu and not Daigekru) Anime hyper, so.... do i need to crate new account? or is there a way to fix this?
I want to start making the list of animes i saw but i am hesitant, i dont want to do it 2 times if there will be the need to creat new account.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I don't think anyone would mind if you made a new account. You've only been here a week and have no other posts.

If you don't want to make a new account you'll have to wait for a while longer until the 5.0 version comes out in order to change your username; see opening post of thread.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Any idea when username changes may be allowed again? I checked the beta and you can only change the capitalization.

Thanks.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:09 am Reply with quote
Thank you for having a change of heart and limiting the name changes to just capitalisation and punctuation. Good to know people can't change their usernames to try and hide their identity.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:12 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Any idea when username changes may be allowed again? I checked the beta and you can only change the capitalization.

Thanks.
I would like to know as well. Recently got tired of this username, and I want to change it to the one I use everywhere which is how everyone identifies me (Which can be seen in the link on my account that leads to my MAL which I've had linked here for like two years now...).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeoQueenSerenity18

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I just realized there's an extra e in the queen part of my username and I can't fix it. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop I hope spelling changes will be allowed someday.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:31 am Reply with quote
NeoQueeenSerenity18 wrote:
I just realized there's an extra e in the queen part of my username and I can't fix it. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop I hope spelling changes will be allowed someday.

Sorry, just noticed this. I'll fix it.
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:13 am Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
GokuMew2 wrote:

Thanks.
I would like to know as well. Recently got tired of this username, and I want to change it to the one I use everywhere which is how everyone identifies me (Which can be seen in the link on my account that leads to my MAL which I've had linked here for like two years now...).

^I have the same issue (though not necessarily tired of it), I signed up for this account in 2006 but all my online accounts and identities since then are linked to a specific username. I mean everything...

And I would really like for people to know that this is my account and not have to start a new one with my current username.

If I can prove this, would there be room for a username change?
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:52 am Reply with quote
I've given this some thought. The no-change rule is there not just to be a pain in the ass but for the sake of identity. And changing to the same username you use everywhere else is also for the sake of identity. So it's fine.

If you want to change your username to something you use everywhere else, send me a PM and provide the urls for the profile page on three different websites where you use the same username.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
PonSquared

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:51 am Reply with quote
Is this enforced?

I haven't changed my user name in 10 years.... my current name is not at all relivent to who I am now.

Can you please change my user name to "PonSquared"

Thanks!! (If you will help me out even with the ban in place...)

Smile
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:05 am Reply with quote
Yes it's enforced, but you have to follow the instructions :-p
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2