• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: More on Ghost in the Shell: Solid State Society

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Whoa awesome I thought Solid state wasn't going to be coming for at least another year or something. Wow I can't wait to see this, but then again I still need to wait for the DVDs to release for the 2nd Gig.

I am still very excitied to hear about this, also is a lot of anime on PPV in Japan?
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Well, a movie is better than nothing. I'm ready for a new season. A "3rd gig" if you will.

I wonder though, spoiler[will the Tachikomas now and forever be the Fujikomas from the end of 2nd gig and if so, will their voices be in that dull, robotic monotone?]
RezSav

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:32 pm Reply with quote
My guess would be yes... or maybe not. Maybe they have better tanks, isn't this supposed to take place 4, 5 years after 2nd g.i.g or something? Anyways, only so many times you can beat the whole tachikoma-story with a stick until it gets tiring.
Yangster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I would love to see a third season, but somehow I have a feeling there won't be one. Part of the reason would be that the last scene of 2nd gig was the first scene in the gits mangas might wnat to check those out if you want to see where it goes from there.
red stranger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:43 am Reply with quote
Yangster wrote:
I would love to see a third season, but somehow I have a feeling there won't be one. Part of the reason would be that the last scene of 2nd gig was the first scene in the gits mangas might wnat to check those out if you want to see where it goes from there.

Huh? The scene with the guy who wants to defect? But doesn't Motoko spoiler[Leave section at the end of 2nd Gig?] She is working for Section 9 at the beginning of the manga...
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:37 pm Reply with quote
red stranger wrote:
Yangster wrote:

Huh? The scene with the guy who wants to defect? But doesn't Motoko spoiler[Leave section at the end of 2nd Gig?] She is working for Section 9 at the beginning of the manga...

No, she and the other team members drive off to their next assignment in their spoiler[new "Fujikomas"]
red stranger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Whearn9999 wrote:
No, she and the other team members drive off to their next assignment in their spoiler[new "Fujikomas"]

Well, the Fuchikomas don't show up until the second chapter of the manga, so I still don't know what Yangster is talking about.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:09 am Reply with quote
So then does Solid State Society take place after Innocence?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:01 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
So then does Solid State Society take place after Innocence?

No, SSS is part of the Stand Alone Complex universe, not the movie universe.

You *could* chose to see the movies and Stand Alone Complex as the same universe if you wanted to, in which case you would have to put both movies after all the Stand Alone Complex material since Kusanagi leaves Section 9 at the end of the first movie.

To put everything in order:

The first manga opens as Kusanagi joins Section 9, but ends with her leaving Section 9 18 months later.
Stand Alone Complex (2 TV series and a movie) takes place while Kusanagi is at Section 9.
Ghost in the Shell the Movie takes place as Kusanagi leaves section 9.
The second manga and Innocense both take place after Kusanagi has left Section 9.

There are enough differences between the three incarnations (manga, movies and SAC) that most people see them as seperate stories.
PvtCaboose

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:28 am Reply with quote
That is totally true, Motoko leaves Section 9 at the end of the first movie with the child body that Batou found for her. It's no suprise she leaves section 9 on the SAC universe i think she is been getting too sick of the goverment policies and following undisclose orders that she does not agreed upon on. Thats your usual good cop turn bad. She is as good or probably better hacker then the Laughing man, as we saw on the episode when Section 9 tried to get into the vault i cant remember that episode fully, everything about her cyberbody is perfect and she knows she has the capabilities to get away with it. i always wanted to see Motoko as a bad ass girl. Twisted Evil
boofi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so I'm a little confused here.
At the end of the first movie, didn't Motoko merge with the puppeteer, and leave Section 9?
I wasn't sure after the second gig, it seems like she was on the way out anyways. And if I am not correct, isn't the first manga basically the first movie?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:50 am Reply with quote
boofi wrote:
Okay, so I'm a little confused here.
At the end of the first movie, didn't Motoko merge with the puppeteer, and leave Section 9?
I wasn't sure after the second gig, it seems like she was on the way out anyways. And if I am not correct, isn't the first manga basically the first movie?

The manga, movies, and TV series are all completely independent entities from one another. The first movie adapts the actual events that take place in the manga, but does so with a more somber, philosophical smartypants tone as is typical of Mamoru Oshii. The second movie, of course, is a direct sequel to this more introspection-heavy adaptation. The TV series actually adapt more of the tone and feel of the original manga, though (at least up to this point) they have refrained from adapting the actual events surrounding the Puppetmaster and such.

One adapts the manga's plot with a deeper sense to it, while the other adapts the manga's writing style with none of the original plot. If that makes any sense. As for a relationship between the movies and TV series, none exists. Outside of adapting the manga in their own separate ways, they have nothing to do with one another.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:13 am Reply with quote
Is this more a movie that follows closely with the TV series?

Meaning it's not going to be like the 2 big releases that were in the theatres.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

Yea it's suppose to follow directly after the GITS:SAC 2nd Gig. And no it's not going to have a theatrical releases to answer your question. In Japan it's suppose to be like a PPV movie you can order from your home I believe.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:50 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

Yea it's suppose to follow directly after the GITS:SAC 2nd Gig. And no it's not going to have a theatrical releases to answer your question. In Japan it's suppose to be like a PPV movie you can order from your home I believe.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral

Ah, ok. Thanks on that note. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2