• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nelvana Funds 2 Western-Exclusive Beyblade Sequel Series

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:24 pm Reply with quote
It seems Nelvana's hand in the Beyblade franchise will continue for a long time. Which is kind of a surprise to me since they recently said that it was bringing them down.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Eh... I haven't kept up with a lot of Beyblade news, but just knowing how the original series' dub was handled, the company getting more and more intimate with the show's actual production is suspect. I guess it's not surprising; they did produce the music for Metal Fight series.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Do not want. These are never good and lack the charm of the original Japanese series. If Japan's done with a franchise, you should let it rest.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:40 am Reply with quote
Japan making Transformers while Canada making Beyblade........ Must've been profitable for them keeping the franchise alive............ Guess Western kids want it; good for them, something all to themselves.............
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:49 am Reply with quote
For the record, they are more than likely still producing a Japanese version of the series as they make these, if the Italian airing of Beywheelz is any indication (which is based off the Japanese version and has a complete Japanese cast listing during the ending credits).
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:32 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Do not want. These are never good and lack the charm of the original Japanese series. If Japan's done with a franchise, you should let it rest.

If Beywheelz is anything to go by these two will still be written and animated in Japan. They'll likely feature a new cast of characters.

I take offense to that comment anyways, as it implies being western made automatically means it's bad. Kaijudo is better than any Japanese Duel Masters stuff, as are much of the western Transformers shows.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:35 am Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
Eh... I haven't kept up with a lot of Beyblade news, but just knowing how the original series' dub was handled, the company getting more and more intimate with the show's actual production is suspect. I guess it's not surprising; they did produce the music for Metal Fight series.

The entirety of Metal Fight Beyblade (the reboot) was co-produced by Nelvana. The level of voice acting might leave something to be desired but the English version is pretty faithful.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:21 am Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:
For the record, they are more than likely still producing a Japanese version of the series as they make these, if the Italian airing of Beywheelz is any indication (which is based off the Japanese version and has a complete Japanese cast listing during the ending credits).

I wouldn't doubt they eventually air in Japan. Though most of them generally don't care for it if the 4Kids produced Yu-Gi-Oh stuff is any indication. They already know it's not-canon.

Primus wrote:
I take offense to that comment anyways, as it implies being western made automatically means it's bad.

When you take a property the original creators decided they were done with it and you decide to throw something together for no better reason then quick profit it's pretty guaranteed to turn out bad.

Quote:
Kaijudo is better than any Japanese Duel Masters stuff

Them's fighting words. V3 has been fun so far. Plus I doubt any of the girls in Kaijudo are as glorious as Rei is.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:38 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Primus wrote:
I take offense to that comment anyways, as it implies being western made automatically means it's bad.

When you take a property the original creators decided they were done with it and you decide to throw something together for no better reason then quick profit it's pretty guaranteed to turn out bad.

Of course, bad is subjective. What may be bad to you, the kids may enjoy. And that's OK. Not every kids series has to appeal to adults too. Kids can have something of their own, without adults co-opting it for themselves. If Japanese kids don't like their version enough to keep supporting it, then apparently that version is bad for them. It's not the Western kids' fault that they like theirs enough to keep supporting their version, so good for them and we should just stay out of the way.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Eh, it's not like Beyblade was ever a good show by any stretch. It's a show about spinning tops. What do you expect? The characters are all so bland, the story is uninteresting, and it's very unwatchable. Each episode is a 30-minute commercial to sell kids the toys. It's almost as bad as Bakugan and Scan2Go.

At least Pokemon, Digimon, and (the old) Yu-Gi-Oh! had real characters, the stories were engaging and fun, and the shows were very entertaining (though YGO can get really campy since it's a show about a children's card game. Playing a card game to the death is as ridiculous as it sounds...).
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
If Japanese kids don't like their version enough to keep supporting it, then apparently that version is bad for them.

That's like saying Japanese otaku think Madoka is bad because they "stopped supporting it". A series ending is not the same as it not being supported. The main villain was killed and the story concluded.

Quote:
At least Pokemon, Digimon, and (the old) Yu-Gi-Oh! had real characters, the stories were engaging and fun, and the shows were very entertaining (though YGO can get really campy since it's a show about a children's card game. Playing a card game to the death is as ridiculous as it sounds...).

Maybe in the dub, but the card game was for teenagers and adults in Japan if you go by the warning label on the Japanese boxes and look at the meta game. And it's no more ridiculous than killing people with a notebook or magic eyeball power. Someone dying from getting stabbed in a chest by a monster makes plenty of sense in comparison.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:38 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
If Japanese kids don't like their version enough to keep supporting it, then apparently that version is bad for them.

That's like saying Japanese otaku think Madoka is bad because they "stopped supporting it". A series ending is not the same as it not being supported. The main villain was killed and the story concluded.

In a kids series, pretty much anything can be continued.
(Even your example Madoka, not exactly a kids series, gets a continuation movie.)
Because kids series are typically less about the characters/story and more about whatever products the sponsors are trying to sell. A new villain, a new hero, a new storyline, etc...... as long as the kids are still intrigued by the products. (They died at the end of the first Sailor Moon. Precure is still going strong.)

Last edited by enurtsol on Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Myaow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:48 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

C'monnnnnnnnnnnn Titan I know you don't believe that, I just saw you being all hyped about Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal like a week ago! You like unnecessary cashgrabby sequels as much as the rest of us!
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
C'monnnnnnnnnnnn Titan I know you don't believe that, I just saw you being all hyped about Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal like a week ago! You like unnecessary cashgrabby sequels as much as the rest of us!

That's not comparable at all. All the Yu-Gi-Oh series (minus Toei's since it's by another studio and non-canon) have a lot of the same people working on it. The same guys who worked on Duel Monsters, GX, and 5D's also worked on Zexal. It is by the original Japanese creators and writers, so it's not comparable to when an unrelated company makes something new.

enurtsol wrote:
Because kids series are typically less about the characters/story and more about whatever products the sponsors are trying to sell. A new villain, a new hero, a new storyline, etc...... as long as the kids are still intrigued by the products. (They died at the end of the first Sailor Moon. Precure is still going strong.)

That's an incredibly petty view to have, especially when most anime is made to shill a product. Either to kids (Sailor Moon, One Piece, Super Sentai/Kamen Rider) or to adults (Madoka, otaku anime in general) Just because it hawks merchandise doesn't make it bad or "the characters and story doesn't matter", you can clearly see tons of effort put into the story and characters of those shows and they're still some of the most beloved and iconic series out there. Anyone who would seriously dismiss a cornerstone to the medium like Evangelion just because it was originally made to hawk wares to kids (and later otaku) doesn't seem like they have much perspective on the medium or community and what they actually like or value.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:49 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Primus wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

Japan does that too on Western stuff like the classic old school western RPG, Wizardry. Wizardry had made many Japanse-made spin off like this one and this. How's that any different?? What about Beast Wars 2 and Beast Wars Neo? Beast Wars was an American show and Japan made a sequel and spin-off for that show, so why aren't you complaining about that? What about Japan making My Little Pony manga instead of translating and releasing the western comic in Japan. I seem to remember you said this on that thread:

TitanXL wrote:
Psycho_Despair wrote:
WHY JAPAN?! WHY!?

Because the company wanted to make one. See: Disney making a W.I.T.C.H. manga in Japan rather than publishing the Italian comic there. It has a better chance of succeeding because western comics don't really sell in Japan. With a manga it has better odds. Admittedly, W.I.T.C.H. bombed and was cancelled after two volumes, but Stitch! did well enough and was met with success.

Again, you're OK with Japan handling and adapting American stuff but when it's American/west handling Japanese stuff, OMG, the west is evil and they ruin it.

Quite a double standard you got there, oh and don't play around with my logic because I know how you're going to spin this around and say Japan does it better then US, yeah well bad news, what Japan does to US stuff is no different from Nelvana doing western-exclusive Beyblade sequel show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3