• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gedo Senki Tops Box Office

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
verbatim

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:34 am Reply with quote
10 billion yen is almost $90M dollars. According to Nausicaa.net, the figure is actually 905,335,600 yen.

edit: I see that has been resolved
Dernhelm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:10 am Reply with quote
wow. despite the relatively negative reviews, eh? or were they just curious, hopeful or "thirsty"? ;P
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:20 am Reply with quote
More important Gendo Senki beat the pirate (<-- Oh yea pun intended Very Happy) that is Pirates of the Caribbean 2. Very impressives considering that it's was in 58% less theaters then that of Pirates....... I wonder if ANN is going to have a review of the movie? Maybe after everything from Otakon calms down.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Yeah! Gedo Senki gave those reviewers the finger! Razz

Go Goro Miyazaki!
HockeyKamen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Now I and and a few other anime otaku are wondering when we'll be seeing Gedo Senki in North American theatres. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
More important Gendo Senki beat the pirate (<-- Oh yea pun intended Very Happy) that is Pirates of the Caribbean 2. Very impressives considering that it's was in 58% less theaters then that of Pirates....... I wonder if ANN is going to have a review of the movie? Maybe after everything from Otakon calms down.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral

Pirates was a disaster on screen. I am glad Gendo Senki kicked its arse.

Go go Goro.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:26 pm Reply with quote
HockeyKamen wrote:
Now I and and a few other anime otaku are wondering when we'll be seeing Gedo Senki in North American theatres. :D

Probably not before next spring at the absolute earliest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hrtrunks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:28 pm Reply with quote
verbatim wrote:
10 billion yen is almost $90M dollars. According to Nausicaa.net, the figure is actually 905,335,600 yen.

edit: I see that has been resolved
But that's nothing. They really have a low opinion on that movie. I mean, Spirited Away made 300 million and Howl made 200 $. I think those are really some low expectations.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I think that comparing this to Spirited Away is prob going to be an unfair comparison being that this is Goro Miyazaki's first movie and Spirited Away is the one of the best loved elder Miyazak's works.

I think that it's great that this movie made #1 in the box office despite the bad publicity.
toru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Hayao Miyazaki made his debut Castle of Cagliostro with 15 years experience
in animation when he was 38 years old.
Goro made Gedo Senki without any experience in animation.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
I wonder if ANN is going to have a review of the movie?

They will, all though it may not be in a review format, just someones thoughts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:53 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
I think that comparing this to Spirited Away is prob going to be an unfair comparison being that this is Goro Miyazaki's first movie and Spirited Away is the one of the best loved elder Miyazak's works.

It's completely unfair to compare Goro to his father, hence Miyazak (elder) has so much experience where as Goro is just begining his life in animation. Great point Hikaru, when we come back in ten years or so I still think that the body of work of Goro won't equal that of his father......
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
Pirates was a disaster on screen. I am glad Gendo Senki kicked its arse.

Go go Goro.

I don't know what movie you were watching.

This really puts those "reviews" right back in those idiots faces. Another shiroboshi for Ghibli.
hrtrunks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:30 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

I think that it's great that this movie made #1 in the box office despite the bad publicity.
Yes, but than again, Goro doesn't have to brake the ice, like his father had to. He has the name Miyazaki, which is a kinde of a brand name in Japan. So yeah, he has got a kinda head start.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:

It's completely unfair to compare Goro to his father, hence Miyazak (elder) has so much experience where as Goro is just begining his life in animation. Great point Hikaru, when we come back in ten years or so I still think that the body of work of Goro won't equal that of his father......

Or he could surpass his father because anything is possible. He can choose to stay saddled by the father-son rivalry and expectations that he become a Miyazaki clone or blaze his own trail. The path of his career is up to him.

Besides, he's not the only one with the problem of a famous last name. I'm sure that the Fondas and Coppolas had their share too and survived.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2