• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Expo 2007 Dates Announced

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikura

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:13 pm Reply with quote
This con would be hard pressed to hold the con on july 4th since it falls in the middle of the week.Most people need to work the days before and after the con(despite it's attendance).
Superflyz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
2007 will mark AX's second year in a row at Long Beach (the event was last held in Long Beach in 2002 and will return to Long Beach in 2006)

Wait... What?
starcade

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Error in the front blurb: 2006 was in Anaheim.

They're counting on a reduction the next couple of years. I can tell you this from talking to some of the people. They're counting on not being able to follow up CLAMP and the guy from "Howl's Moving Castle", and they're _expecting_ lower numbers.
Yuukichan's Papa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I'd be fine with a lower attendence as things have gotten really crowded the past handful of years. What I don't like is Long Beach. I'm sure their reasons for moving are perfectly valid, but Long Beach is a pit compared to Anaheim.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:49 pm Reply with quote
starcade wrote:
They're counting on a reduction the next couple of years. I can tell you this from talking to some of the people. They're counting on not being able to follow up CLAMP and the guy from "Howl's Moving Castle", and they're _expecting_ lower numbers.

I agree with you, not only that the convention doesn't have the fourth (of july) being right in middle of weekend nor the tail end of it. That said more people are going to be working, or thet are going to be elsewhere.

Last edited by Deltakiral on Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:51 pm Reply with quote
starcade wrote:

I want to know where you got this information (as in what people, some kind of source, link, etc., if it was just random fans then that doesn't count). I'm not saying that it's false, but after reading the press release, I got the impression that they were expanding it to hold even more people.
Twage

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy for the change. The weather is way more pleasant thanks to the ocean, and the location is much, much more accessible. I would never be able to attempt a public transport commute from home to Anaheim -- but I can take the train to the LBCC.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:53 pm Reply with quote
First off, Another Error.

Quote:
2007 will mark AX's second year in a row at Long Beach (the event was last held in Long Beach in 2002 and will return to Long Beach in 2006) and the first time since 2001 that the event was not held on the 4th of July.

AX was held in Long Beach in 2001 as well.

Second: PantsGoblin, nice icon. I love Higurashi.

Third: Reguardless if they have smaller numbers I don't think it will make that much of a difference. I don't think I'd be able to tell the difference between 40k people and 35k. I don't think it will ever get as drastic as E3's recent resizing from 60k to 5k people. Plus the Long Beach convention center is all ours next year, so none of the fire marshal issues we had in '02. It's a nice area that's had some work done to it in the last couple of years. I'm really looking forward to '07 just as much as I was for '06.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
2007 will mark AX's second year in a row at Long Beach (the event was last held in Long Beach in 2002 and will return to Long Beach in 2006)

Superflyz wrote:
Wait... What?

Oops Embarassed
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Yuukichan's Papa wrote:
I'd be fine with a lower attendence as things have gotten really crowded the past handful of years. What I don't like is Long Beach. I'm sure their reasons for moving are perfectly valid, but Long Beach is a pit compared to Anaheim.

It's back in Anaheim in 2008 as far as I know. The Shriners booked the Anaheim center years and years ago so they couldn't get it for this year.

Which sucks, because the Long Beach location sucks. AX obviously would rather have stayed in Anaheim.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:07 pm Reply with quote
That would be good for me cause then I wouldn't have to skip work that day. Overtime pay Anime hyper
xstylus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

It's back in Anaheim in 2008 as far as I know.

It's anybody's guess where it'll be, actually. It also depends on a lot of other factors such as growth, plus supposedly there's some other group booked at the ACC for 2008, although not quite as massively as the Shriners did for 2007.

If AX outgrows LBCC and whatever's left of ACC, it'll be interesting to see where it goes.

Last edited by xstylus on Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yuukichan's Papa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
It's back in Anaheim in 2008 as far as I know. The Shriners booked the Anaheim center years and years ago so they couldn't get it for this year.

Which sucks, because the Long Beach location sucks. AX obviously would rather have stayed in Anaheim.

We can only hope. Even though it's a bit more of a drive for me, everything about Anaheim is better from the hotels to the convention center to the city itself. I enjoy feeling safe when walking the streets late at night, and Anaheim gives me that luxury while Long Beach certainly doesn't.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ponlork

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:58 am Reply with quote
I prefer Long Beach then Anaheim. Although it's smaller I like how I don't have to walk long distances to the video and gaming rooms. I also prefer watching the main events in the Terrace Theater with the comfortable seats unlike in Anaheim where they pull out some steel chairs and sometimes it's hard to see over people's head as it's not angled in a slope. LBCC is also located right next to the beach, the weather is great. I suspect they don't want to have it during July 4th weekend because that's when everybody in Long Beach goto the fireworks at the beach and it gets real crowded. I also prefer LB because I know where to find free parking haha. but still you can find parking anywhere from $2 - $5 near the L.B convention

I attended AX since 2001-2006 and I had more fun when it was held in Long Beach. maybe i'm a bit biased since LBC is my hometown haha. ya'll ever hit up those late night anime parties in Long Beach? they be serving champagne and the DJ is way better in my opinion
Superflyz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:37 am Reply with quote
ponlork wrote:
I prefer Long Beach then Anaheim. Although it's smaller I like how I don't have to walk long distances to the video and gaming rooms. I also prefer watching the main events in the Terrace Theater with the comfortable seats unlike in Anaheim where they pull out some steel chairs and sometimes it's hard to see over people's head as it's not angled in a slope. LBCC is also located right next to the beach, the weather is great. I suspect they don't want to have it during July 4th weekend because that's when everybody in Long Beach goto the fireworks at the beach and it gets real crowded. I also prefer LB because I know where to find free parking haha. but still you can find parking anywhere from $2 - $5 near the L.B convention

I attended AX since 2001-2006 and I had more fun when it was held in Long Beach. maybe i'm a bit biased since LBC is my hometown haha. ya'll ever hit up those late night anime parties in Long Beach? they be serving champagne and the DJ is way better in my opinion

I live in Long beach as well, and you DO NOT want to go into that ocean

Though I suppose it will have cooler weather. Plus, I know several bar owners at the Pike (I'm cool with the SpringBok bartenders), so I have a watering hole to go to, to wind down for the night

Also, I can understand why some people wouldn't feel safe wandering around Downtown at night. Then again, there's no reason to unless your hotel room is located past Pine or 8th or in Long Beach Blvd., THEN you have a problem...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2